Laser Guided Bombs.

euthyphro

I have watched MANY youtube tutorials regarding laser guided bombs and cant seem to get it to work.

I am quite familiar with the F18 thus far and even the A10C so I am not a complete newb...

Long story short, I get everything all lined up and my GBU 12 is always x out and nothing drops. I even get a countdown and nothing drops. I am using the targeting pod to assign a target and depress the TDC to transfer over coordinates to pre-selected bomb.

Yes, I have assigned the laser code and depress the trigger to activate it. Yes I set the fuse as well and make sure AG is selected as well as master arm is on.

No matter what I do I always have an x drawn through CCIP or MAN mode on the HUD with DUD written above it and nothing releases. I am not using the Beta version of DCS world either.

Edited by euthyphro

I have watched MANY youtube tutorials regarding laser guided bombs and cant seem to get it to work.

I am quite familiar with the F18 thus far and even the A10C so I am not a complete newb...

Long story short, I get everything all lined up and my GBU 12 is always x out and nothing drops. I even get a countdown and nothing drops. I am using the targeting pod to assign a target and depress the TDC to transfer over coordinates to pre-selected bomb.

Yes, I have assigned the laser code and depress the trigger to activate it. Yes I set the fuse as well and make sure AG is selected as well as master arm is on.

No matter what I do I always have an x drawn through CCIP or MAN mode on the HUD with DUD written above it and nothing releases. I am not using the Beta version of DCS world either.

I'd suggest posting a track file of this happening. Although I agree with Harker that DUD is usually incorrect fusing (not sure it also locks you out if you're too low as well).

GBU-12:

Master Arm ON

Select A/G

Select LGB

Release AUTO

MFUZ OFF

EFUZ INST

CODE: **** (of your choice via UFC)

**If designating from your Litening pod, find target:

Make sure to toggle LTD/R to ARM

Make sure TRIG is "boxed" on FLIR DDI

TDC Depress (sets desired target that you have found via Litening pod)

Hold weapon release after release cue starts to drop (around 4 seconds).

Shortly after weapon releases:

Depress the trigger so indication on FLIR DDI goes from LARM to LTD/R (which is how you know the laser is firing). Maintain laser on target without masking from aircraft, remaining onboard ordinance or terrain.

Boom. Target destroyed or damaged (depending on target and size of LGB).

**If receiving laser from external source:

Select LSS on the FLIR DDI (ensure laser code matches to the one being provided via external source). You can change that via UFC if mismatched under LSTC option.

Same weapon release procedure.

Boom. Target destroyed or damaged (depending on target and size of LGB).

Really, seems like you are just not setting the release to AUTO. Would bet that is the only thing that is creating the DUD / Break X cue.

I typed a lot, just to get to the fact that you need to be in AUTO release mode - but no way that I was going to delete all the other stuff. Maybe someone else can benefit from it when trying to drop LGBs. Let me know if that worked for you. Oh and best results when flying level horizon to drop, but not necessary.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Watching or re-watching this one might help

As Wags is setting up the LGB, you can see the "DUD" and the cross over CCIP disappear as he sets the efuse to instantaneous and the laser code respectively.

And the video Wags posted, has some kind of "glitch or lag" to his weapon profile setting - as he selected AUTO for release type, yet it still showed CCIP on the stores DDI as well as HUD, until he used TDC depress when he had found the target with the Litening pod.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Ive also seen the x out cue if you have any of the weapons not setup right, not just the currently selected one. So you need to step theough them all.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Had the same issue yesterday.

MFUZ OFF was the issue.

By the way. If I trigger the laser. How long is the target illuminated?

Thx

After you depress the laser, it will stay on until you depress the trigger again. You actually don’t have to hold the trigger (unlike when the Litening pod was first released). First depress toggles on, second toggles off.

Cheers,

Don

It's not latched, so the target is illuminated for as long as you hold the trigger in

No longer need to hold the trigger.

Cheers,

Don

I pointed the laser at a soldier while orbiting, until the laser shut itself off.

When I got closer he could still aim and shoot just fine.

ED fix plz.

What?

In the F/A-18C Hornet (in DCS), the laser will not shut off unless you toggle the LTD/R switch from ARM, to STDBY or AFT. Within DCS, there is no laser burnout (as of yet) for the Hornet.

On the FLIR DDI, it will go from displaying LTD/R to LARM if the laser is masked by the aircraft, ordinance on the aircraft, or terrain. But once that masking issue has been resolved, it will display back to LTD/R.

If you were trying to kill the soldier by firing the laser at him, you will have zero luck in doing so as it is not a weapon, but merely a designation tool.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

I pointed the laser at a soldier while orbiting, until the laser shut itself off.

When I got closer he could still aim and shoot just fine.

ED fix plz.

LOL...

Well lasers do attenuate over distance, so I'm sure you were out of the NOHD range. If thats what you were getting at that is.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team
I may have masked the pod then, I'll check.

If you see a problem attach a track showing it

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you see a problem attach a track showing it

thanks

I'm curious how many times a day do you have to type that?

I'm curious how many times a day do you have to type that?

A little secret, he is a bot, we programmed him to say that.

That explains a lot :lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg