P-51D, F-16C & F/A-18C CAD Plans by Stang

Stang

I should say that I'm currently building the Hornet pit. Its going together very nicely. The plans are awesome.

1417518477_RightConsol1.thumb.jpg.24dce34c3434a5e5a8eb05ab2f602579.jpg

Edited by Gladman

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hi Guys

Just thought I's share the status of the F/A-18C Cockpit CAD Plans, the Assembly Instructions and the actual Build Pics (WiP).

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.

F/A-18C Cockpit CAD Plans HERE

F/A-18C Cockpit Assembly Pictorial HERE

F/A-18C Cockpit Live Build HERE

By the way...the first one that can tell what item or items is installed wrong in the build, gets $50.00 OFF the $155.50 price of a Set of F/A-18C Cockpit CAD Plans!! If you have already bought the plans or a pre-cutout Kit, you don't qualify :lol:

Good luck :thumbup:

Stang out

That's some fine craftsmanship there Gladman!

Keep up the great work.

Stang out

I should say that I'm currently building the Hornet pit. Its going together very nicely. The plans are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey Stang

These plans look amazing and I'm giving some serious thought to buying but I have a few queries if you could oblige me.

Roughly how much and of what material the project will require. I'd like to be able to get a ball park cost for the project from a CNC company here in Doha.

Is the seat plan separate to the Hornet plan or included? if not included any suggestions on type of seat that will fit in the gap?

Can the project be split into chunks? eg can I send them a specific file for the main panel to be cut so I can get that and put it all together then build up the courage for the rest?

I'm thinking gf getting the Thrust master TPRS petals and have the TM 1600 pedals at the moment, how will they work with the plans as i think the main panel central panel might be wider than the gap between the pedals particularly on the T1600 ones.

do the plans accommodate fitting places for the TH Warthog kit? is there a mount for the stick to go in the centre and a recess for the thrust levers?

Roughly how much time does the kit take to construct and is it suitable for a total novice. I'm talking just the structure as I'm planning on the buttons and switches as an ongoing project.

Many thanks for your time

Kris H

Hi Kris,

I'm happy to answer you questions below in BLUE

hey Stang

These plans look amazing and I'm giving some serious thought to buying but I have a few queries if you could oblige me.

Thank you for the kind words.

First, I'd like to direct you to the Official F/A-18C Cockpit CAD Plans HERE

And Second, the Actual Cockpit Build Pictures HERE

Ask away my friend.

Roughly how much and of what material the project will require. I'd like to be able to get a ball park cost for the project from a CNC company here in Doha.

Lets break the Cockpit into 2 parts to answer that. First up is the Cockpit itself. It includes the Center Tub, Side Tubs, Side Switch Consoles, Side Intermediate Consoles, Center Pedestal, Main Instrument Panel and Vertical MiP/Monitor Mount.

For the "Basic" Cockpit, you will need :

2 - 4' x 8' Sheets of 3/4" (or 19mm) MDF or Plywood

3 - 4' x 8' Sheets of 1/2" (or 12mm) MDF or Plywood

These are shown in the drawing HERE

For the Cockpit, there are a number of available Accessories. The Cockpit CAD Plans include 4 different Main Instrument Panel Options, Different Main Instrument Panel Supports, Canopy Bow, DDI & AMPCD Formers, the Eyebrow Warning Light Formers and other accessories, shown HERE Depending on what you accessories you add to your build, this could be 1 to 3 more 4' x 8' Sheets of material.

Is the seat plan separate to the Hornet plan or included? if not included any suggestions on type of seat that will fit in the gap?

The Martin Baker MK-14 SJU17A NACES Ejection Seat is part of the Cockpit plans. It is still a work in progress. As with all my CAD Plans, once you purchase them, you get free updates for life. So, when the Seat is finalized, you can then build it. I am estimating the time frame to competition on the seat by or before the end of the month. The engineering is done, I just need the time to cut it out and test it.

Secondly, Any F/A-18 Seat or "my" F-16 Seat for that matter, will fit in the F/A-18C Hornet cockpit, "as long as," it is no wider than 21 inches. Several people use a Car seat as they are more comfortable and easier to adjust to your liking. I am also able to cut you out a seat kit from the OpenHornet Project, when it is ready and released as well. Totally up to you. You can see the OpenHornet Designed Seat that I Built HERE

Can the project be split into chunks? eg can I send them a specific file for the main panel to be cut so I can get that and put it all together then build up the courage for the rest?

Absolutely yes you can. As part of the F/A-18C Cockpit CAD Plans, you get 3 files, The first one is just for you and contains almost 400 engineering drawings, all with dimensions in both inches and mm. The next 2 files are identical in what they contain, but 1 is in DWG format and the other in DXF format. These two formats are compatible worldwide with different CNC Shops. They are the cut files for the CNC or Laser Shop you choose to cut your kit out with. They only contain the parts for the Cockpit.

I'm thinking gf getting the Thrust master TPRS petals and have the TM 1600 pedals at the moment, how will they work with the plans as i think the main panel central panel might be wider than the gap between the pedals particularly on the T1600 ones.

The Cockpit CAD Plans were designed with the ThrustMaster TPR Pedals in mind, and they will fit with plenty of room to spare. You can see them modeled HERE

do the plans accommodate fitting places for the TH Warthog kit? is there a mount for the stick to go in the centre and a recess for the thrust levers?

I did not put a specific mount for "any" stick or throttle, because none of them are the same size. If I chose the ThrustMaster Stick and Throttle, you might have the Winwing, and visa-versa. Any of them will fit. You will need to cut out the Side Console for your Throttle and decide if you want your stick mounted to the floor with an extension tube, or on a riser. This is the beauty of the Cockpit Kit, you can modify it to meet your exact needs.

Roughly how much time does the kit take to construct and is it suitable for a total novice. I'm talking just the structure as I'm planning on the buttons and switches as an ongoing project.

Kris, if you can screw two boards together, you can build the cockpit. It does not take any special skills or tools. A cordless screwdriver is nice though. I have several people building the cockpit now, with no former experience. If they get stuck, they give me a ring and I walk them through it. Ask the guys in my Facebook Group called "The Cockpit Shop". They will tell you I have been known to be on a Skype video call with them at midnight or early before the sun comes up, because that's when they are working on their cockpit, and needed a little guidance. I am always happy to help. Please join the Facebook group and ask the guys their thoughts on building and on the cockpit. I think you will like what you hear :thumbup: You can find my Facebook Group HERE

Many thanks for your time

Thanks Kris, I'm always happy to help. Let me know if you come up with other questions.

Stang out

Kris H

Edited by Stang

Hi TheGuardian,

I have not had a PM come through from you yet.

Please resend and include your email address, and I'll be happy to send you the information on the Cockpit CAD Plans and the Pre Cutout Kits. :thumbup:

Thanks

Stang out

PM Sent Stang. Thanks in advance

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...