Any New F-16 Throttle being made anywhere?

Davee

Title says it all.

I have an old Cougar throttle that has been extensively used in the past and in which I loved the ergonomics.

My options are to: Completely replace all switches. (if possible)

or . . . . hope that some manufacturer is going to or is already making a current version of the F-16 Throttle.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is working on a new F-16 Throttle?

or . . . . a complete rebuild kit for the Cougar throttle?

Thanks for any help.

Cats . . .

WinWing has stated that they intend to release an F16 Stick and throttle. The HOTAS will use their F/A-18C throttle and gimbal base so the stick won't be pressure sensitive like the FSSB R3 and they have stated that at this time they don't intend to release another panel, but I for one would love to have an F-16C Throttle to swap out when needed.

From last reports, the F/A-18C set should be shipping for preview soon.

I have an old Cougar throttle..

My options are to: Completely replace all switches. (if possible)

.. a complete rebuild kit for the Cougar throttle?

Rel4y have a kit for leave Cougar TQS as standalone device and contacless sensor upgrade for throttle axis.

For secondary axis (antenna, range) potentiometer you need rely in Thrutsmaster - if they are available.

TQS mini-stick (CTS model) was discontinued in 2015, can replace with Alps but may need some physical alteration in TQS for fit.

Opera resume: If you are not a DIY person, sell this TQS "as is" and forget "F-16 throttle" for a while. :D

Rel4y have a kit for leave Cougar TQS as standalone device and contacless sensor upgrade for throttle axis.

For secondary axis (antenna, range) potentiometer you need rely in Thrutsmaster - if they are available.

TQS mini-stick (CTS model) was discontinued in 2015, can replace with Alps but may need some physical alteration in TQS for fit.

Opera resume: If you are not a DIY person, sell this TQS "as is" and forget "F-16 throttle" for a while. :D

Hi Sokol,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I can do it myself - just where to get newer components is answered by your reply.

It may be easier to just wait to see if anyone jumps in with a new version.

Cats . . .

Hi Sokol,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I can do it myself - just where to get newer components is answered by your reply.

It may be easier to just wait to see if anyone jumps in with a new version.

Cats . . .

FWIW...I used Rel4y's "TM Cougar Throttle standalone USB adapter + digital contacless 14 Bit GMR sensor" and it worked like a champ.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

My TDC, range and elevation Axis's were all a tad wonky but a squirt with contact cleaner settled it out.

AMMV...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

FWIW...I used Rel4y's "TM Cougar Throttle standalone USB adapter + digital contacless 14 Bit GMR sensor" and it worked like a champ.

My TDC, range and elevation Axis's were all a tad wonky but a squirt with contact cleaner settled it out.

AMMV...

This is it!

What a great piece of information.

Overhauling this throttle, which is in otherwise great condition is the way to go. Can't wait to complete the project and get hands on an old friend.

:thumbup:

Cats . . . .

Is Thrustmaster updating and re-releasing the Hotas Cougar?

Thrustmaster displayed it at Flight Sim Expo 2019 and is showing it with F-18 Stick

Word on the street is that the Hotas Cougar Throttle on display at Flight Sim expo 2019 had its own USB connector. (Although this has not been verified)

Tb1ZZrC.jpgltFp5Rr.jpg

Edited by DataHawk

This is it!

What a great piece of information.

Overhauling this throttle, which is in otherwise great condition is the way to go. Can't wait to complete the project and get hands on an old friend.

:thumbup:

Cats . . . .

Like I said...while it was in the work bench I hit the pots with some contact cleaner and they work great. Good thing too because currently parts are scarce for the Cougar. Good luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 3 months later...

they really should have made the throttle modular too I would have a huge collection of grips for the stick and throttle, but they never really committed either way - I mean we have two grips now, over the last 12 years, yay haha.

Thankfully, Virpil are doing some realistic throttles now too, like the F-14, I hope they continue supporting more, I know the F-16 will be popular, I mean it already is that other sim.

Thankfully, Virpil are doing some realistic throttles now too, like the F-14, I hope they continue supporting more, I know the F-16 will be popular, I mean it already is that other sim.

Virpil is going for a F-14 Throttle? Any more infos about that?

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I’ve been encouraging Realsimulator to make a home version. If it does happen it probably won’t be this year though, they’re not the type of company that would release products without extensive testings.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I’ve been encouraging Realsimulator to make a home version. If it does happen it probably won’t be this year though, they’re not the type of company that would release products without extensive testings.

Supmua didn’t they post on their forums that they were looking at the best way to do it? I think we successfully convinced them there’s demand on par if not exceeding their other consumer stuff

So we wait... with cash in hand

*exit- confirmed- Dragon post a couple weeks ago they are thinking how to, last post with the throttle wishlist thread

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

I have a Cougar that I have kept. (I also have the warthog and throttle)

I would like to modify the Cougar throttle and add the trigger(detent) required to go to afterburner (Like how the real throttle assembly functions). It's annoying when you accidentally go past 100% throttle because there is no physical lock.

It would be good to upgrade the throttle to function with USB. Maybe with the internet it would be possible to find the information required to achieve it OR maybe someone will start selling a kit.

I've seen some amazing things done with simulation 'pits' by people that don't even work with electronics and have taught themselves to integrate their cockpits with their flight sims....maybe it's possible to upgrade the old Cougar and give it a new lease on life.

It would be good to upgrade the throttle to function with USB. Maybe with the internet it would be possible to find the information required to achieve it OR maybe someone will start selling a kit.

You have USB option for TQS, with Real Simulator TUSBA external adapter, available in two versions.

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/tusba.html

Or can DIY with cheap (~$5) with Arduino PRO Micro and MMjoy2 firmware, what don't require any modification inside TQS.

In both cases is advisable install a contacless sensor in throttle axis replacing their "so-so" potentiometer, "drop-in" replacement is available for fair good price:

Edited by Sokol1_br

Same here. I mean, i´m not a virtual Tomcat pilot (maybe some day), but while we are blessed with numerous grip replicas from various manufactors, it would be much appreciated to have more variety in the throttle replica section...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I replaced the pcb with a usb model and swapped out the axis potentiometer with a magnetic sensor but nothing for the other controls

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

First I have heard of it, but it would go vey nicely along side the vfx grip.

Problem is the tom cat HOTAS setup is... kinda lacking?

I'd appreciate maybe a white colored hotas grip. Maybe pretend it's what the super tomcat 21 would have been

they really should have made the throttle modular too I would have a huge collection of grips for the stick and throttle, but they never really committed either way - I mean we have two grips now, over the last 12 years, yay haha.

I'm half convinced the ONLY reason the grip comes off the base was just to make packaging easier to hit a shelf dimension.

• 5 months later...
Is Thrustmaster updating and re-releasing the Hotas Cougar?

Thrustmaster displayed it at Flight Sim Expo 2019 and is showing it with F-18 Stick

Word on the street is that the Hotas Cougar Throttle on display at Flight Sim expo 2019 had its own USB connector. (Although this has not been verified)

Tb1ZZrC.jpgltFp5Rr.jpg

I might be late to this party, so my apologies but I did not see anyone mention this information in this thread. I know people are hoping and praying for an updated Cougar. I've never owned one, but would be certainly interested. My understanding is that "current" Cougar throttles are not USB with a market for conversions, adapters, etc. I saw your photo and mention of "word on the street" about the one on the table at the 2019 show being USB. TM's page on the cougar, under the features tab, says it's a "Full Speed USB". I have no knowledge of an out of the box TM Cougar with USB, is that a thing, is TM's website wrong, or is this something coming, but not broadcast? Again, my apologies if I'm rehashing old information.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/hotas-cougar

I might be late to this party, so my apologies but I did not see anyone mention this information in this thread. I know people are hoping and praying for an updated Cougar. I've never owned one, but would be certainly interested. My understanding is that "current" Cougar throttles are not USB with a market for conversions, adapters, etc. I saw your photo and mention of "word on the street" about the one on the table at the 2019 show being USB. TM's page on the cougar, under the features tab, says it's a "Full Speed USB". I have no knowledge of an out of the box TM Cougar with USB, is that a thing, is TM's website wrong, or is this something coming, but not broadcast? Again, my apologies if I'm rehashing old information.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/hotas-cougar

in order to make the Cougar throttle a standalone product, you should use some USB converter such as RealSimulator TUSBA.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 4 weeks later...