[ACCURATE AS IS] The MFDs seems a bit small...

dmatt76

Watching academic videos I got an impression that the MFDs screens seem a little too small and hidden deep inside, always in the the shadow. On every pic of the real one they like more reachable, easier to read, bigger. ED might have all the measurements right but the perspective, lighting and shadows in the cockpit don't seem right. When Wags is setting some stuff there, it's like operating Nokia 3210 screens which fell on the floor...

d20c39f83ccbf119.jpg

bd6b5606f55e6473gen.jpg

Edited by dmatt76

• ED Team

I would wait until you are sat in the cockpit, I am testing in VR and on a screen and it all looks good for me.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

We all know what another well known flight sim is, but even there they seem to pop up more in the front, like in those pics above. ON ED screenshots MFDs are way in the back, always in dark shadows- but maybe that's how real pilots see them, and I got the wrong impression all the time because of this 2D pics... :)

But if it's really the way they should be, I'm afraid they won't be as much fun to use, as in the Hornet... A computer simulation sometimes need to be a little off to a real-deal, in order to be playable.

Edited by dmatt76

I say it looks good. My fear was the feeling of the ufc not projecting forward enough and the MFDs not sitting back. The 'other' sim (though old) is guilty of that in my opinion.

Wags and ED look to have done a stellar job. Never sat in the viper. This looks like the closest I will get. Looks great.

I say it looks good. My fear was the feeling of the ufc not projecting forward enough and the MFDs not sitting back. The 'other' sim (though old) is guilty of that in my opinion.

Wags and ED look to have done a stellar job. Never sat in the viper. This looks like the closest I will get. Looks great.

I completely agree with you, the way the team did the cockpit gives you a nice sense of depth for the MFD's and an sense of protrusion for the middle console between the legs from the UFC down to the Nav.

I sat in an F-16 not long ago - the pit is modelled perfectly and the MFDs are spot-on.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I sat in an F-16 not long ago - the pit is modelled perfectly and the MFDs are spot-on.

I remember when I was on a EW course we had a guess who was a Viper driver from Shaw and he says the MFDs are so small and now with all the new software they everything is so cluttered with symbology it is crazy. They couldn't wait to get the centre pedestal display like the ANG. Also I did a ride in a Block 30 sim long time ago and yes they are small.

Edited by DAN

tfb2L-blz4Y

That is a test bird, notice the additional switches and lights on the glare shield. Would not use that as reference.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hi,

The 4x4 mfds dont seem to have been swapped for bigger or smaller screens.

A couple other videos of various models. All show a consistent "knee picture"

For comparison, here is how close to the eye the legacy hornet screens are

Edited by hip3rion

hip3rion,

To clarify, I do not think the CMFD in DCS look to small nor am I saying your wrong. Not trying to correct you, just pointing details about the references you are providing.

So a video of a test F-16 is not a good reference because it has other things in the cockpit that are not in the DCS version of the F-16 and people might think should be there.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Just trying to providing context for the references

vRqbOvcmnO8

This is a A model

WS4mZiIqzxU

This may be closest to what we may get in DCS, considering it is a 11 year ahead of the DCS F-16. This is a D model block 50 from 2018.

Another angle form the last video

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

To the contrary

A computer simulation sometimes need to be a little off to a real-deal, in order to be playable.

Absolutely, 100% NOT.

A computer simulation needs to be as real as it gets. Computer game OTHER THAN SIMULATION, can indeed be a little off on the other hand. DCS always was, it is, and - I sure hope so - will remain SIMULATION.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Absolutely, 100% NOT.

A computer simulation needs to be as real as it gets. Computer game OTHER THAN SIMULATION, can indeed be a little off on the other hand. DCS always was, it is, and - I sure hope so - will remain SIMULATION.

+1

Totally agree! :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Absolutely, 100% NOT.

+1

The pilot in the video above on the F16 cockpit tour mentions how small and tight the Vipers cockpit is. I really hope this is simulated for us in VR. I've seen other representations of an F16 cockpit, ok it was on a 2D screen, but it gives the impression that it's quite a large space to sit in, I know it's difficult to simulate on a 2D screen but still the pit looks very spacious.

I really hope they have simulated how small and tight the Vipers cockpit is when in VR. I think ED have done this rather well on the Spitfire which feels rightfully small when sitting in it in VR.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Cockpit is made to correct size and dimensions,

What you are seeing is how depth perception and FoV affect how things appear on a flat 2D Screen.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I remember when I was on a EW course we had a guess who was a Viper driver from Shaw and he says the MFDs are so small and now with all the new software they everything is so cluttered with symbology it is crazy.

The F-16 MFDs are indeed small...Which is why I am beginning the process of building a front panel so I can mount 7" displays behind mine so I can read the damn things...But I've been waiting close to 30 years for this jet soooo I'm not too upset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Watching academic videos I got an impression that the MFDs screens seem a little too small and hidden deep inside, always in the the shadow. On every pic of the real one they like more reachable, easier to read, bigger. ED might have all the measurements right but the perspective, lighting and shadows in the cockpit don't seem right. When Wags is setting some stuff there, it's like operating Nokia 3210 screens which fell on the floor...

d20c39f83ccbf119.jpg

bd6b5606f55e6473gen.jpg

Neither of these is a "real " picture!