[REPORTED]Not accurate starting procedure

grafspee

• ED Team
Acording to spit manual, spitfire quiped with merlin 66, pilot suposed to move cut off lever forward before priming and cranking is not working in DCS. It is impossible to start DCS Spitfire this way,which simply cancel claim that DCS is accurate simulator game. PLS fix this

Hi I will look into this.

Can you show me where in the pilots notes it says to move the cut-off lever forward before priming and cranking.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi I will look into this.

Can you show me where in the pilots notes it says to move the cut-off lever forward before priming and cranking.

thanks

Step 3

t6eLPO5.png

spitfire.trk

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

Hi all

I have reported this to ask the question to the team, when I find out I will feedback to you all.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

I have reported this to ask the question to the team, when I find out I will feedback to you all.

thank you

Thanks BIG!

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hi all,

I have a reply from the team and a spitfire pilot.

Our startup is correct for our spitfire.

Merlin 66 Bendix Stromberg carb idle cut off and then to auto rich once engine fires.

Thanks

Can I just reanimate the horse for just another little beating?

A real Spit could start the DCS way, many thanks for getting through to the team and a real Spit pilot and confirming that for us.

The issue wasn't explicitly that the DCS way maybe shouldn't work (and now we know it does), but that the pilot's notes way maybe should work.

Would a RR Merlin 66 with a Bendix-Stromberg carburretor in a Spitfire LF IX refuse to start up if the idle cut-off was in RUN before priming, ignition and start?

I'm very interested why, or why not.

Alright you can consider that horse black and blue :lol:

Can I just reanimate the horse for just another little beating?

A real Spit could start the DCS way, many thanks for getting through to the team and a real Spit pilot and confirming that for us.

The issue wasn't explicitly that the DCS way maybe shouldn't work (and now we know it does), but that the pilot's notes way maybe should work.

Would a RR Merlin 66 with a Bendix-Stromberg carburretor in a Spitfire LF IX refuse to start up if the idle cut-off was in RUN before priming, ignition and start?

I'm very interested why, or why not.

Alright you can consider that horse black and blue :lol:

You will flood everythin with fuel when you move idle cut off lever fully forward but only when fuel booster is ON, moving this lever before priming and cranking should not interrupt starting of the engine when fuel booster is OFF

95PKik9.png

First combustion in this engine is from fuel injected by the primer, there is no way that engine would pick up that easy on carb alone when it is very far from intake manifold, Engine should at least start from primer fuel and carb should pick up later even when cut off lever was moved forward too early.

0:28 I can see that idle cut off lever is forward before priming and cranking in this spitfire

HUwZwAJovoI

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hi all,

Merlin 66 Bendix Stromberg carb idle cut off and then to auto rich once engine fires.

Thanks

Ask team does their spitfire starting up with fuel booster ON or OFF

maybe this spit has p-51 fuel system swap

Edited by grafspee

You will flood everythin with fuel when you move idle cut off lever fully forward but only when fuel booster is ON

I know that's how I used to get my monster exhaust flames :D

At least when I figured out the tank booster was a switch on the left and not the fuel pressure cock :doh:

Hi all,

Thanks

Except for the fact that aforementioned Pilot's Notes chapter IS for Merlin 66/70/266 Bendix Stromberg carb variants.

Also, so far, there seem to be three vids on YT, where lever moved forward before startup can be spotted:

a) the old one with Mk IX No. MH434, engine version - probably -63 if the current owner's website can be trusted:

b) Swedish Mk XVIe RW386, -266 engine:

c) Canadian Mk IX TE294 already posted above, rolled of the factory with -70 engine, haven't found what unit it has under the hood nowadays

BIGNEWY, if the people you asked start their real plane "the-DCS-way" and it works, then fine, it's a [NO-BUG] from their point of view, that's not an issue here.

However, for me it's clear that the other method, as per Pilot's Notes and vids above should work as well IF the DCS Spit is indeed supposed to simulate -66 engine with Bendix-Stromberg carb. If it doesn't for whatever reason (and two Open-Beta versions ago when I last tested, it still didn't), then there is a [bUG] to be looked into.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team

Good morning all,

After speaking with Nick Grey we have added this for improvement on the spitfire.

I cannot give a time frame currently.

Thank you for all of your input.

Good morning all,

After speaking with Nick Grey we have added this for improvement on the spitfire.

Nice to see some push on the warbirds (or at least now in the open air) getting some fixes/updates from community requests

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good morning all,

No time frame needed for me, i feel like its already here :)

• ED Team

No problem, we are always happy to look and evaluate with any issue.

Thanks for caring enough to raise the concern.

:)

No problem, we are always happy to look and evaluate with any issue.

Thanks for caring enough to raise the concern.

:)

MA MAN! :)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It seems that both methods are correct...

This start-up procedure is from "Rolls Royce Merlin Maintaince Manual_Ser-66, 67,70,71,76,77, 85", October 44.

sikHnQM.png

oHifPNt.png

and here is another video showing the opposite :)

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |