VR and health

hip3rion

Hey guys,

Since VR is getting more and more popular, i thought I'd ask a few questions before I venture into this simming experience.

My worries are about having a screen an inch away from your eyes for (possibly) hours at a time :

1. Have you ever experienced any 'symptom' after using your VR headset ? For example headache, sore eyes, dry eyes or whatever else. I'm not talking about obvious pain that would be caused by a headset squeezing your face or a bad strap.

2. Have you ever mentionned your VR hobby to your family doctor or eye doctor and what were his/her inputs on that matter ?

I can't find anything on google saying VR is a no-go but i cant find anything saying it's totally consequences-free either.

P.S. Regular tv/pc/tablet screens are known to be harmful to children development. Something about the blue light emitted, their eyes and brain. So I'd keep kids (0-15yo) away from the headset. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Good question. Some headaches are to be exepcted at the beginning of you vr experience, then it goes away with time. You need to start with short sessions like 30 minutes then increase the exposure gradually. I am using lennses in my vr headset with blue light filter too.

This of course is very personal. I for that matter never experienced headaches or nausea caused by my HMD and when I just got it I'd spend multiple hours straight wearing it.

I do agree though, that if you do experience these side effects, it'd be wise to take a break (but I guess that goes without saying)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The first few hours was nauseating for me. The headache/imbalance it created in my head lasted a for a day or two and that was it.

My brain has so gotten use to it now I kind of miss those initial strong roller-coaster feelings when in a turn or descending in the aircraft. Those feelings has worn off.

Has yet to see any side effects in my eyesight as a result of use since March of this year and I play almost daily.

I have no idea if there is long term effect. I hope not because it is a great device.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I have read academic reports in the matter that also all seem to indicate that not much research has been done on the matter. From an ethics point of view I wouldn’t imagine much will be done.

It’s a little bit like testing safe amounts of alcohol for pregnant women. And no you can’t just test those that self report high usage levels, that doesn’t pass muster either.

One paper that I came across recommended no more than half an hour usage even for fully developed eyes followed by fifteen minute breaks to get your focal point moving again.

Children’s use was very much frowned upon, is anyone really surprised.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Certainly too much of anything is probably no good, and we do not have extensive data on long term effects of VR on our vision/health, especially in kids. Look what happens with vaping which used to be regarded as a save alternative to tobacco smoking, now people are dropping left and right with fatal lung issues. Just got email from my state's dept of heath yesterday regarding mandatory report of anyone with unexplained vaping-related lung injuries (I'm an MD). VR is relatively new and we're all lab rats :)

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hey guys,

1. Have you ever experienced any 'symptom' after using your VR headset ? For example headache, sore eyes, dry eyes or whatever else. I'm not talking about obvious pain that would be caused by a headset squeezing your face or a bad strap.

2. Have you ever mentionned your VR hobby to your family doctor or eye doctor and what were his/her inputs on that matter ?

I can't find anything on google saying VR is a no-go but i cant find anything saying it's totally consequences-free either.

P.S. Regular tv/pc/tablet screens are known to be harmful to children development. Something about the blue light emitted, their eyes and brain. So I'd keep kids (0-15yo) away from the headset. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

relating to issue 1: no

relating to issue 2: no

After flying DCS using the Oculus Rift CV1 for at least some hundreds of hours now (not in one single pass ... :D), for me personally this - so far - had no obvious influences (apart from destroyed social life ... ;-) :smartass:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

for me personally this - so far - had no obvious influences (apart from destroyed social life ... ;-) :smartass:

+1

Social life has truly suffered. For me the gaming chair is where you would find me at any spare time and folks at home are jealous of that seat.

It is difficult for me to draw the line between an addiction and a hobby now but can hardly resist the temptation to get the gear on and fly.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

We had the same fears when starting to wear night vision goggles in 1980s. Had to go through tests as experience and time was accumulated. Other than short term headaches and neck aches no lasting effect.

The typical Army answer to stopping the NVG pulling the front of the helmet down was to put a 600 gram weight on the back of the helmet!

Lol I remember the same fears when watching TV up close as a child.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Lol I remember the same fears when watching TV up close as a child.

Wasn't there a girl who went blind from sitting too close to the television? I think I heard she ended up marrying a guy who made a face and it stayed that way. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yeah, I also heard that guy lost a hand when he stuck it out the car window!

He came out of that OK though. He just modified his drum kit so he could use both feet. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I am an occasional VR user, and I recently visited the eye doctor (wanted a fresh prescription so I can purchase lens inserts for my next VR headset). I specifically asked him about VR and any possible long term eye damage from VR headset use. He was pretty noncommittal - I think there is just not that much research out there regarding the effects of long term VR use. Regarding blue light, I think he said the issue is the blue light disrupts the body's melatonin production, so it screws up our natural sleep/wake cycle. That's why newer tablets like the 6th gen iPad have the ability to change the display's color balance away from blue light to a warmer color balance at night.

I use a Lenovo Explorer, and I experience eye strain and dry eyes after an hour of so of use - I attribute it to the heat generated by the headset, as well as straining to read dials and gauges due to its limited resolution and small sweet spot. So I take frequent breaks.

Best advice I could give is like any new technology, use in moderation until more is known about long term health effects. Look at what they are discovering about vaping, which was touted as a safer alternative to cigarette smoking.

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An accurately modelled Apache with its single eye monocle giving flight information/night vision images to one single eye will indeed cause Elf and Safety concerns, if the sim is smack on, the problems of the real world will hopefully be faithfully modelled and this will hopefully be totally represented in DCS VR world..... the rest is just the human race moving forward into the virtual world and how their bodies will need to adapt to the future.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I'd argue that VR headsets (at least the Rift) are better for you than a monitor since it allows your eyes to focus at a farther distance. The result is less eyestrain so I can play for much longer without eye fatigue than I can on a monitor. At least that's true for simulation games.

Addiction is another question altogether. :) Mind you, simulation in VR is also a great stress relieve. If I were a doctor I'd prescribe one hour of VR flying before bed each night for a restful night's sleep. :D

Wasn't there a girl who went blind from sitting too close to the television? I think I heard she ended up marrying a guy who made a face and it stayed that way. :D

1pde62.jpg

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey guys,

Since VR is getting more and more popular, i thought I'd ask a few questions before I venture into this simming experience.

My worries are about having a screen an inch away from your eyes for (possibly) hours at a time :

Cheers

Yeesh...making me realize it's going to be hard to keep my son off of VR as he grows.

For the post. I'd expect some motion sickness the first week or so. Very much akin to earning your sea legs. I get dry eyes when I wear contacts, but glasses have not been an issue.

I've mentioned VR two two eye doctors (my insurance changed) one was just "meh, whatever" and the other was interested and positive.

Perhaps the biggest threat of blue light is the role it plays in the development of macular degeneration, mainly in the form of photo-oxidation. There's still not enough studies to determine if VR blue light can cause it though. I had WidmoVR add the blue blocking to the prescription lenses I got from them just to be on the safe side.

I have noticed eye strain and headaches before in vr using my vive. That was in games other than DCS where my IPD was improperly set. Hasnt been a problem in DCS cuz of the option to automatically set your IPD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE