Armed Assault

Ice

Lets clear few things up.

There is no OFP2, there is only Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising. They can NOT market it as sequel to original flashpoint because it has NOTHING to do with it. It has completely different developer team, and it has arcadish rally game engine.

OFP : Dragon Rising is a mainstream arcade shooter, COD clone marketing itself as "SIM" with that ridiculous HUD and hit indicators etc.

ARMA2 is a simulation. Theres a difference. :)

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been paying slight attention to both Dragon Rising and ArmA2

Good input Grodin, I played on OFP and loved it, actually I reinstalled it lately and finished it AGAIN!

To be honest I thought that ArmA 1 was too arcadey (based on the footsoldier aspect - in OFP it got ridiculous once you got in an armed vehicle too), and was hoping that Dragon Rising was gonna be the holy grail of soldiering on the PC but it appears not..?

So Dragon Rising is not going to be a 'soldier sim'? And in fact weill be less of one than ArmA2?

Like I said, i've paid little attention and i'll never listen to the marketing on a game anyway because generally it's misinformation. Cheers for the heads up.

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

ArmA still sucks.

You are just doing it wrong.

I've been paying slight attention to both Dragon Rising and ArmA2

Good input Grodin, I played on OFP and loved it, actually I reinstalled it lately and finished it AGAIN!

To be honest I thought that ArmA 1 was too arcadey (based on the footsoldier aspect - in OFP it got ridiculous once you got in an armed vehicle too), and was hoping that Dragon Rising was gonna be the holy grail of soldiering on the PC but it appears not..?

So Dragon Rising is not going to be a 'soldier sim'? And in fact weill be less of one than ArmA2?

Like I said, i've paid little attention and i'll never listen to the marketing on a game anyway because generally it's misinformation. Cheers for the heads up.

Well atm arma is the least arcadish game, even with all its limitations and faults, there is in this genre. And most of those issues people complain about, like collision detection dont actually matter. if you care about stuff like that you got the wrong game, if you want to run people over go play carmageddon, if you want to run n gun raimbo in some childish game go play BF2 or COD.

It is quite thin if you dont have those approriate mods, ACE being one of them, and play it as a singleplayer game with AI, or on some public server where all those CS/COD/Battlefield kids run around doing all random stuff.

You get into a 60 player op with airforce, armor and infantry working together using formations, keeping their fire sectors and using voice comms and appropriate chain of command, then it goes like its SUPPOSED to be played.

People saying those screenshots where you have elements clearing urban areas and moving as a group are "fake" just have no idea how tactical games are meant to be played.

Its simply the only game which offers all that stuff it does, big areas with different vehicles working together. And has even some candy as a bonus, like weapons having moving bolts etc and ammo actually getting lower in the magazine when you look into it, passing out when hit badly, dragging wounded mates to safety, treating them correctly depending on their wounds, backblasts from AT weapons, gun jams, and so on and so on.

Edited by Grodin
  • Like 1

I'm really looking forward to both games :)

here is an interesting comparison on OFP2's own website LOL looks like ArmA is kicking butt!

http://operationflashpoint2.org/ofp2-vs-arma2-fact-thread/

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

Good link. I'm actually really looking forward to both games being released now, some good concepts there. Having looked at that i'm actually leaning more towards Dragon Rising.

Honestly the problem I had with ArmA was that it just felt like OFP1 with updated Hollywood graphics and a poorly thought out, even more clichéd storyline.

I know it's not a simulation but anybody with even a slight knowledge of military procedures (or just common sense) would have to give ArmA1 a HUGE AMOUNT of leeway in SP campaign (which was what I loved about OFP1, even though you still had to make a lot of allowances).

OFP will have 70 weapons/50 vehicles - ARMA will 73 weapons/167 vehicles

OFP will not have flyable planes - ARMA will have flyable planes

OFP will not have ground artillery - ARMA - will have and moveable

Hopefully this means that OFP are concentrating less on the BF2/Xbox; 'I GET AN ARMED BLACKHAWK OMG WTF BBQ!!!' crowd, and more on the actual gameplay/balance.

How can you create a balanced, semi-realistic battlefield on 225Km of terrain with attack aircraft included? And how can you have Playable Artillery?

I think there's people that want lots of flyables [more ways to kill each other], and those that want less flyables/driveables but a more consistent game structure. Not saying either one's better, it's a personal preference. I'm after the footsoldier/tactics sim so i'd be happy if there were no driveables at all!

GO APE SH*T

Flyable aircraft is necessary in Arma because the map is so big in MP you need helicopters to fly troops to the sharp end. In MP you can also paint tgts with a laser designator so that a guy flying a Harrier can drop a LGB on it.(So long as you remember to bring the batterys:megalol:)

Artillery adds more realism and is used effectively in some mods in Arma.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Yea Hitman most missions and basically by most i mean All.. :P have an option in your radio to fix head bug..... and still with the latest versions it hardly ever happens. i really dont understand why that would be the deciding factor for you to hate this game?

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

Well its been a big occurrence with me almost every single time I play the game...and it got really old really fast. The head bug fix isnt really a fix, its an implementation to reset it, not a fix at all. If it still happens, its still a bug, and its extremely annoying to me.

My new water cooled i7? Perhaps it is ancient. ArmA still sucks.

Yeah, your opinion is the most creditable fact in this universe.

[EDIT BY MOD: RULE 1.2]

Edited by Acedy

Flyable aircraft is necessary in Arma because the map is so big in MP you need helicopters to fly troops to the sharp end. In MP you can also paint tgts with a laser designator so that a guy flying a Harrier can drop a LGB on it.(So long as you remember to bring the batterys:megalol:)

Artillery adds more realism and is used effectively in some mods in Arma.:thumbup:

Dragon Rising has the same size map as ArmA2. I understand that the interaction between a guy with a laser and a guy in a Harrier can be great in Clan battles, but for the average person (me) it just seems a bit ludicrous.

Artillery would be great to call in like you can in Steel Beasts, I just thought that it'd be a bit pointless to have a player manned 155mm Howitzer 10 miles away from the battle, firing blind.

I think the features are great, don't get me wrong, but I don't really think even with 64 players that you can create a combined arms battlefield (unless you're in a clan that has trained set-peice manouvres for a long time). Flying a Harrier seems a bit odd seeing as the actual action all takes place over a tiny bit of terrain.

GO APE SH*T

Yeah, your opinion is the most creditable fact in this universe.

Now please go back to BF, COD w/e and stop trolling ArmA topic since you seem to be so obsessed about sucking.

My opinion doesnt matter. [EDIT BY MOD: RULE 1.2]

Edited by Acedy

Dragon Rising has the same size map as ArmA2. I understand that the interaction between a guy with a laser and a guy in a Harrier can be great in Clan battles, but for the average person (me) it just seems a bit ludicrous.

Artillery would be great to call in like you can in Steel Beasts, I just thought that it'd be a bit pointless to have a player manned 155mm Howitzer 10 miles away from the battle, firing blind.

I think the features are great, don't get me wrong, but I don't really think even with 64 players that you can create a combined arms battlefield (unless you're in a clan that has trained set-peice manouvres for a long time). Flying a Harrier seems a bit odd seeing as the actual action all takes place over a tiny bit of terrain.

The artillery is better off as AI as you need a Tactical interface to give orders for the Artillery to advance when you have the enemy outside their range. IMO a SP 155mm artillery unit like the M109 Paladin would be ideal for that. There are mods which you can call in artillery and airstrikes which work in SP as well as in MP so you don't necessarily require a live pilot to fly the aircraft. As it is the 105mm gun is ok but moving it is the problem the only way to do that is by helo in Arma which is why the M109 is a better unit to have. My experience with Arma is mainly on public servers not Clan ones as with the clan I am in we mainly fly F4AF although the other division does use Arma sometimes. In MP there is always someone keen to fly the Harrier and A-10 so carrying a laser designator is no problem so long as you don't forget the batterys.:doh: As it is the aircraft would need to be improved to a level like Lockon as a minimum for me to be happy flying them as a Squadron. Its not quite up to that level yet but its great to see that sort of fun in a FPS I think it won't be long and someone will develop such a sim as the PCs are able to handle it.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

What will be in ArmA II?(part6): National Party Nationalist guerillas of the National Party is an underground movement lacking sophisticated weapons, but their knowledge of the country, military expertise from civil war and underground network make them serious opponents to both communist guerillas and government forces. rus-regsoldier „We have to show common citizens that our actions are focused on rooting out the evil, not on punishing anyone based on their nationality. Disarm the ordinary armed men, but eliminate all commissars, commanders and functionaries ruthlessly.“ - Soldier's Handbook, allegedly by Prizrak, supreme warlord of NAPA * Guerillas use a mixture of civilian and military clothing and light equipment; anti-tank weapons are rare and consist mostly of RPG-7 stolen from Chernarussian military. Occasionally, better weapons purchased from weapons dealers are in use. * They commonly use...More here + new video: http://www.arma2.com/national-party-2_en.html

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro