DCS and Oculus Link

Larkis

Thanks for that !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

check if you have a usb 3.1 port on your motherboards for a possible future upgrade:

Yes, and also, as some people expected, before leaving beta resolution will improve over USB 3.0, I was wrong, never been so happy to be wrong:

"I have a couple plans to work around it. Note that the current versions isn’t at the 835 limit, we reduced the resolution for better encoder compatibility on the pc side. That will be going back up as we get more data."

"No worries. The smoothness isn't just due to ASW. Also the resolution is tweaked to allow a broad range of GPUs to work smoothly. That is not to say that the users will be locked into that resolution. That's why it's 'beta'."

I’m planning to replace my CV1 and am leaning toward the Quest since it seems versatile, especially if the Link feature works well. This is mostly for non-DCS games such as wireless VR exercises, multiplayer VR games with my kids, etc.

You'll not be dissapointed, Thrill of the Fight really shines on Quest compared to playing wired.

But I advice you to keep your CV1, in case you wanna fly while your kids use the quest ;)

Edited by cercata

Hello I have an CV 1 and think of to get a Quest. I read that the Fov is 100 degree and afaik this is 10 degree less then the cv 1 or s.

Is this noticeable?

Will the later introduced handtracking supported by DCS?

Thanks

I have the Quest and Rift S, can't say I really notice a difference in FOV.

However for just DCS, I would recommend currently at least a Rift S rather than Quest.

I have not seen any comments by ED regarding any future hand tracking support. But they did support Oculus Touch.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hello I have an CV 1 and think of to get a Quest. I read that the Fov is 100 degree and afaik this is 10 degree less then the cv 1 or s.

Is this noticeable?

Will the later introduced handtracking supported by DCS?

Thanks

Hi, i run aCV1 for years and today first time i switch to oculus link.

First, i dont notice the smaller FOV. Insteat the Headset feels bigger (i use glasses, mostly it was a problem with the CV1 to get the glasses inside the Rift. Also the glasses mostly start to mist. I dont have that problems with the Quest)

I use the Anker 0.9m cable together with that 5m repeater: https://de.myworld.com/de-de/dp/roline-roline-usb-30-aktives-repeater-kabel-5m-dpJ83S4SKTMS5/?utm_source=shopping24&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pcs&s24clid=91136af4-a4e4-46eb-9d40-2c76959e10c9 .And i run on a Geforce 970GTX

Works perfectly. I fly 2 hours and dont have tracking problems, artefacting or something else. The veiw seems a little bit blurry on range. its a little bit harder to see a runway on caucasus in 20nm+ range or see the position of the ball (or the cables) when going from groove to final. But both could be resolved with the standard zoom.

Except for that the whole view seems to be improved to me.

On my squadron the F18 fly A-G attacks while the tomcats secure the air. Seeing ground targets should not be that issue with the full-zoom or the tgp. Searching for air targets with the eyeball MK1 maybe would be much harder with the Quest.

So if you mainly want to do PVE and go against ground targets, the change from CV1 to the Quest could be a good idea. if you want to go A-A maybe the sharpness of the rift will work bether for you.

I personally dont regret changing the CV1 to the Oculus Quest. The User Experience is so much bether in my eyes, that i never will go back. :smilewink:

If it was wirelessly I might get the quest but having the rift and rift s already I’m not seeing a benefit for my sinning

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

It's weird, you look at the cockpit, and it looks better on Quest, but when you try to read text, there are things I can read with CV1 I can't read with Quest, from the same distance.

It is not weird. That is the RGB panels problem that they are sharper and more detailed, why you see the virtual world as virtual, unlike the Pentile displays that very nicely smooth gradients, surfaces, make things look "beautiful" but just not having high definition so you could read small details well.

As well the OLED is affecting that it riches the colors like red and green and gives higher contrast, what is just creating that "WOW" effect.

But I don't take pentile screens anymore for anything really.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm really in a quandry over this. I will be getting another Quest (sent the first one back due to connection issues, but have a new and excellent wifi router now) to use with Link, but I am hoping it will be far better with the official optical Link than it is now, even more so once they have increased the res, as mentioned.

My Index has the dreaded "scan lines" issue and although I was able to negate most of it with the tool they released in summer, now we have colder weather it has degraded considerably, so that in some apps and games it's quite prominent.

Despite assuring me that if the then new 'fix' didn't work on my headset, they would replace it (for a second time), they are now telling me I can either put up with it or have a full refund, as they have no plans to work on the issue any further and are not offering RMAs for it any more.

So I will be relying on Quest and Link. I'm told it works well in Elite and it seems to be doing relatively well on DCS World, from the comments in this thread. So I hope it will be enough for me to enjoy and an improvement over CV1 - which is what I am going back to today, whilst I pack up my Index.

At least I now have the required graphics card, just up to Oculus to make the Link what we all want it to be (except perhaps 'S' owners...)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'm really in a quandry over this. I will be getting another Quest (sent the first one back due to connection issues, but have a new and excellent wifi router now) to use with Link, but I am hoping it will be far better with the official optical Link than it is now, even more so once they have increased the res, as mentioned.

My Index has the dreaded "scan lines" issue and although I was able to negate most of it with the tool they released in summer, now we have colder weather it has degraded considerably, so that in some apps and games it's quite prominent.

Despite assuring me that if the then new 'fix' didn't work on my headset, they would replace it (for a second time), they are now telling me I can either put up with it or have a full refund, as they have no plans to work on the issue any further and are not offering RMAs for it any more.

So I will be relying on Quest and Link. I'm told it works well in Elite and it seems to be doing relatively well on DCS World, from the comments in this thread. So I hope it will be enough for me to enjoy and an improvement over CV1 - which is what I am going back to today, whilst I pack up my Index.

At least I now have the required graphics card, just up to Oculus to make the Link what we all want it to be (except perhaps 'S' owners...)

Why not Rift S?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got one first this year but the FoV was not good with my IPD, so it went back.

I'm thinking I'll return the Index, see what the Link is like and if not up to snuff, just buy another Index. Chances are that it should be better than the first two.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

btw - I've just watched a YT vid by a guy flying one of the civvy sims - the most hardware demanding one - in his Quest using Virtual Desktop, which was, of course, the main way to play PCVR on Quest before Link was announced, along with other, less effective solutions.

He seems to find it very acceptable and though he is obviously not using it more than casually, the results look well within the acceptable range. He plays it from the couch or on his bed (!) using a gamepad, because he said his job is at a PC 60 hours a week, so he flies to relax but doesn't want to be at his PC. Job done.

This is very encouraging for possible use with DCS World. I suppose it will depend mainly on just how good a signal is available to stream quality video to the headset.

I'll certainly be exploring all available options.

Kneeboard Guides

my plan when I get some spare time is to actually setup my sim pit in something that can fit under the bed in our bedroom so while the misses is watching netflix I can be set up in our bedroom/excerise area on a usb 3.0 extension for the quest and a usb 2.0 extension for the hotas

btw - I've just watched a YT vid by a guy flying one of the civvy sims - the most hardware demanding one - in his Quest using Virtual Desktop, which was, of course, the main way to play PCVR on Quest before Link was announced, along with other, less effective solutions.

He seems to find it very acceptable and though he is obviously not using it more than casually, the results look well within the acceptable range. He plays it from the couch or on his bed (!) using a gamepad, because he said his job is at a PC 60 hours a week, so he flies to relax but doesn't want to be at his PC. Job done.

This is very encouraging for possible use with DCS World. I suppose it will depend mainly on just how good a signal is available to stream quality video to the headset.

I'll certainly be exploring all available options.

Virtual Desktop means he has just a 2D Picture of the Game and no Headtracking. I dont know if this is a way to go in VR. :D

No, he has full VR control.

You obviously aren't aware of the function that was built into Virtual Desktop a month or two ago. It allows PC VR over 5GHz WiFi. I believe several VR YT channels did various reviews on it (Cas & Chary for example).

Oculus asked for it to be removed as they have Virtual Desktop on their store, but didn't want to be seen as supporting this particular function - so the dev made it so that it could be "side loaded" instead.

People have reported stutters and the like but it depends on how good your WiFi signal is and how much interference you suffer from in your VR space.

Kneeboard Guides

I'm using the Link for DCS and find the results quite acceptable. It is much better than ALVR and Virtual Desktop, even with a wired ethernet connection. However the connection via Virtual Desktop is REALLY good for wireless. Something less demanding like watching a movie provides really high quality images but with a higher latency. Games like FSX or Xplane might be quite acceptable.

One issue i'm getting is my frame rate seems to be capped at 36fps. Changing ASW mode doesn't seem to make any difference, I never get higher than 36fps. Any ideas?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Nvidia 2070 Super

36gb ram

DCS open world 2.5 open beta

Settings high for everything except water Low.

That'll be the equivalent of 45fps with ASW in Rift - the Quest is 72Hz, so your 36fps is the 50% effect of ASW. Are you sure you are switching it off? Also - I found something similar with CV1 and 45fps in sims - weird but surely something to do with it. I can't remember what ATW does by way of framerates.

Thanks for the encouraging info

Kneeboard Guides

That'll be the equivalent of 45fps with ASW in Rift - the Quest is 72Hz, so your 36fps is the 50% effect of ASW. Are you sure you are switching it off? Also - I found something similar with CV1 and 45fps in sims - weird but surely something to do with it. I can't remember what ATW does by way of framerates.

Thanks for the encouraging info

Yes I also suspect it's on.

I opened the Oculus debugger tool while in game (Alt tab) and changed ASW to disable. I also tried to compare to Auto (Ctrl + Num1) and num4 but didn't seem to have any change with all of them. Do I need to restart oculus or steam VR or game?

I read that you can change it on the fly, but I don't know for sure, it never seemed to work for me using the keyboard shortcuts, either. I used to use the Tray Tool ute.

Kneeboard Guides

Again from what I heard in Carmack's speech, with Quest Link, there will never be the option of disabling spavewarp, it will only send the 36 fps to the HMD and use the internal cpu of the Quest to scale back up to 72hz.

This to ease the response on job on the USB interface.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tryed it with Oculus software version 12 ?

Now you can tweak the transmision parameters, that were forced in version 11:

"With AADT, a pair of undistorted eye-buffers rendered at 3616x2000 can be compressed down to 2016x1120 saving close to 70% of the video codec budget."

mmzvtxh1i4441.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/e9i7ip/how_do_the_new_settings_for_link_work_exactly_got/

• 11 months later...
I wonder how long the battery will do that. I read normaly the quest has power for 2-3hours. But the Quest will mostly do nothing except tracking. Maybe 3-4 hours?

When I use my Quest 2 connected via USB 3, the battery lasts 4-5 hours. Disclaimer: that's in Elite:Dangerous, not DCS (still haven't gotten my settings to where it's comfortable to play that long in DCS), but that shouldn't affect battery life.