Photos/Videos (NO DISCUSSION)

EvilBivol-1

“yesterday, we have had a Raptor salad for lunch.”

http://theaviationist.com/2012/07/13/fia12-typhoon-raptor/

Interesting article although I have to say that even though the typhoon is an extremely powerful aircraft the Raptor pilots probably over did with the TVC to loose any knife fight against the Eurofighter, this is a mistake not an F-22 limitation. Maximum range of the meteor against the raptor is not a very relevant comment (it might be against other aerial threats), since the sensors wouldnt be picking the raptor at enough distance to take advantage of the range superiority.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Allegedly the TVC use was to minimize a HOBS shot against the Raptor (though no such weapons were carried. The tiffy's flew clean). Other than that, tiffy's ended up dead at the merge.

Sadly, it might be hard to find a good source to attribute this to :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Oh no, the F-22 got shot down in a dogfight.....the worlds gonna end! It happened, oh well, let them have a full blown battle and see what happens. Sometimes you can't win them all!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Dude, it's already 2012. Of couse it's the end of the world.

Oh no, the F-22 got shot down in a dogfight.....the worlds gonna end! It happened, oh well, let them have a full blown battle and see what happens. Sometimes you can't win them all!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Dude, it's already 2012. Of couse it's the end of the world.

It better not be cause I'm not going to even be with my family and I just bought A-10C.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Interesting article although I have to say that even though the typhoon is an extremely powerful aircraft the Raptor pilots probably over did with the TVC to loose any knife fight against the Eurofighter, this is a mistake not an F-22 limitation.......

if i'm not wrong it's a mistake already done by raptor pilots in the past when facing other fighters like f15s,and i read somewhere that even indian su30mki pilots used to trust too much in thrust vectoring while in air combat, losing kinetic energy.....

According to some things I heard, it was done pre-emptively to prevent a HOBS missile shot, but those weapons were not in-play, so the maneuver should not have been done.

Mind you, hearsay, I can't really confirm the details. You are also correct that such mistakes have been made before in the way you explained.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sadly I havent heard anything similarly interesting from the Euros from the other side of the border. The stories I've heard suggests alot of the pilots are still maturing up on this type. They get regularly beaten by Vipers. This story of the Euros even trying to compete with the raptors sounds extraordinary. I wonder who are the most seasoned Typhoon pilots out there? :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I know the Brits have good training, so I wouldn't doubt that they could give anyone a good run for their money :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RDAF

Danish F-16 (great cockpit sound)

Low level training in Norway

C-130 Beach landing

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Indeed, it looks like the F-22 tends to lose too much energy when using thrust vectoring (TV): TV can be useful to enable a rapid direction change without losing sight of the adversary but, unless the Raptor can manage to immediately get in the proper position to score a kill, the energy it loses makes the then slow moving stealth combat plane quite vulnerable.

looks like the trust vectoring is only good for airshows.

Edited by diveplane

Indeed, it looks like the F-22 tends to lose too much energy when using thrust vectoring (TV): TV can be useful to enable a rapid direction change without losing sight of the adversary but, unless the Raptor can manage to immediately get in the proper position to score a kill, the energy it loses makes the then slow moving stealth combat plane quite vulnerable.

looks like the trust vectoring is only good for airshows.

Like any weapon - you should only use it when it's appropriate to use it.

If using it puts you in a worse position than not - don't use it.

If using it puts you in a position to make the kill - use it.

Your argument is like saying a rifleman shouldn't carry grenades because if you're not careful with them they can kill you too.

They're not to be used instead of a rifle, only when a grenade is the best thing to use...

( The USAF has bee playing with thrust vectoring since the mid 70's ,so they've had plenty of time to decide whether it's useful for anything more than airshows... )

Edited by Weta43
  • Like 1

Cheers.