MGRS?

Swift.

Seems surprising since according to the wikipedia page on the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Grid_Reference_System.

The MGRS module was changed to make the final latitude check on MGRS to UTM conversions sensitive to the precision of the input MGRS coordinate string. The lower the input precision, the more "slop" is allowed in the final check on the latitude zone letter. This is to handle an issue raised by some F-16 pilots, who truncate MGRS strings that they receive from the Army.

This was apparently listed in the

release notes for GEOTRANS Release 2.0.2, 1999:

Which does strongly suggest that at least some version of the viper active around 1999 definitely can take MGRS coordinates ...

Edited by Tomsk

Interesting stuff, I remember Panther mentioning that the current vipers have MGRS. However other games make no mention of such a feature. Perhaps it is in fact included on all vipers and some games lack the accuracy of DCS.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Interesting stuff, I remember Panther mentioning that the current vipers have MGRS. However other games make no mention of such a feature. Perhaps it is in fact included on all vipers and some games lack the accuracy of DCS.

A lot of tape updates have happened since 2007, so at some point it would appear that MGRS was added. No clue what the jet may have had or not in 2007, as I can only go with current information.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 5 months later...

Well this thread is in the wishlist area so that should answer it i guess...

I know as far as us Snipers on the ground the school houses and team internal we were always trained and called in f16 and f18 with lat long, hence we always prefered apaches... Part of the business. Im now retired going on two years so i assume stuff has changed, so what i say is from my personal experience and what i taught to our Snipes.

I can tell you For us NON JTAC OR TACP we always prefered MGRS. But on ODA's we had a Airforce TACP who dealt with all the Air assets and we just concentrated on our Triggers. I know 2007 and onwards our ODA's really loved having the TACP attached to our teams, was a game changer and much more effective. I didn't look over his shoulder so to speak so maybe somebody else has more insight on it.

Just blabbing:thumbup:

so # ED give us MGRS for us ground folk and have the AI Jtac in sim give both or we can choose in special options......

Edited by Sniper175

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I think one important key development before this is necessary, is the ability to actually enter the elevation for a steerpoint.

Right now, everything is hovering 6000' off the ground so accuracy isn't really very good (yet)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I can see now the conflicts and ambiguity on systems capabilities based upon BLOCK and LOT variations of aircraft. Yet another level of realism in DCS to have true period-specific capabilities in Modules. Bottom line, have to go with passing targets in the format for the CAS player and I like that!

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That’s actually not an issue. Even with only pre-placed, editable steerpoints, you can craft a flightplan which leaves room for an IP and targets.

Just can’t (easily) do precision attacks lest you have the bulk of your flightplan devoured by the TGP slewing bug.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I suppose this may end up being one of those deal with it things. The advantages of MGRS are pretty clear, not only for rapid transmission of coordinates over a radio, but also for plugging flightplans on a dedicated server as required.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Mero-Mayhem said:

Are there any news for entering Coordinates from JTAC (MGRS) to the Viper STP?

You can use steerpoints 21-25. When on the STPT page with one of those selected you just need to dobber right to change to MGRS. Wags has a video on it.

Edited by Tigerian

3 hours ago, Tigerian said:

You can use steerpoints 21-25. When on the STPT page with one of those selected you just need to dobber right to change to MGRS. Wags has a video on it.

I´ve seen this Video. You can not put MGRS coordinates in. I tried it. You can only read but not write.

Edited by Mero-Mayhem

18 minutes ago, Mero-Mayhem said:

I"ve seen this Video. You can not put MGRS coordinates in. I tried it. You can only read but not write.

Weird. I hadn't really looked at it since it got added but just assumed you'd also be able to enter in MGRS too.