Why is True North heading not the default for the HUD?

imacken

CRJ 700 does not have an inertial navigation system? Are we talking about the regional jet built by Bombardier and which has a Collins Aerospace (former RockwellCollins) provided Pro-Line-4 cockpit suite and the FMS4200? Because that has two redundant INS...

Anyway, this gets pretty much OT here...

-They might have an IRS (primarily an AHRS stand-in), not the same thing as you have been talking about, and even that is not fleetwide equipage. You are overestimating the aircraft that have an INS onboard. Maybe the issue here is nothing more than differences in specificity of language being used.

Agreed on the OT, like I said previously, I think the OP raises a valid concern and hopefully it is addressed going forward.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

.... and the thread goes wild. (Over true vrs mag)

More context:

Controlling agencies give vectors in magnetic, V ways/J routs are magnetic, VOR/TACAN radials are magnetic (station declination, another nuance in context), ATIS winds are given in magnetic (METARS, TAFS etc, are true, done for other nuanced reasons), airfield runways are in magnetic. Athough chart lat longs are true (not sure how they could be anything but), the heading values on charts are magnetic. Approach plates are magnetic to include RNAV and VNAV (per part 97.3 something) and if courses are true on a plate it is accompanied by a "t" to indicate the nuanced difrences.

Aviation (as of today, with the chance it may very well change in the GPS future) still operates in a predominantly "magnetic " world.

Im sure someone can wikipedia up more exceptions somewhere but that doesn't change the normative, and i am sure each exception has its own nuance context. The point of my response was to give context to the realities of the flying environment, how that has shaped navigational equipment, and how a game can give false perceptions on what that environment is.

Thus, why the 18 hud defaults to magnetic.

:)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Ok I will admit I didn't read the icao bit. In the 777 when we get far enough north we work grid. In the F3 we always worked in True in the AO and AWACs were quite happy to work in true.

If we worked with the USAF we adapted to work in Mag as that's what they wanted in Nellis for example, however, when operating in Alaska even the USAF operated in True due the massive variation in Mag var across the operating area.

Fwiw when I fly the F18 with my group we set True at the same time as we set up the Bullseye.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

And what you're talking about was used for POSITION. Then the MAGNETIC COMPASS was used to determine DIRECTION. Point and vector by a common standard.

I see, thanks :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg