F/A-18C Hornet LCD MDIs and grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/3306396/

------------------------------------

Changelog 18 Sep 2021:

Updated instructions regarding Integrity Check pass, for 2.7.6.12852 Open Beta, see Options 1 and 2.

Changelog 21 Aug 2021:

Updated for 2.7.5.10869 Open Beta.

Changed reflection effect to show up more, after the reflection changes that came with 2.7.

Fixed AGM-65F crosshairs appearing green when using white font.

!!! As of DCS Open Beta 2.7.6.12852, any changes in files present inside the \Mods\aircraft\... directory will lead to a failed Integrity Check for Multiplayer.
As such, if you want to pass IC, you cannot use the white DDI font and the grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar video. Please perform the steps outlined in Options 1 and 2, below.

Install the cockpit textures by placing the "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" folder in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\

Install the white font and grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture changes by copying the Mods folder in the main DCS directory and overwriting (this will fail IC).

Enable the mod by going into Options -> Special Options -> F/A-18C and select "FA-18C Hornet LCD screens by Harker" from the Customized Cockpit list.

You also need to select MFD Reflections: Static in the Special Options, in order to see the changes.

The following are options, and both of these steps are necessary in order to pass IC.

Option 1: Keep green DDI and AMPCD font. Delete the materials.lua file, located in FA-18C LCD MDIs\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\ before using the mod.

Option 2: Keep the green FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture. Delete flir_texture.dds, located in FA-18C LCD MDIs\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\IndicationResources\MDG\ before using the mod.

Changing the font color also changes the friendly HAFU, PPLI etc symbols to white from green. Seems like they're tied to the font color. I've looked for a way to change that, without success. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

I left the AGM-65E LMAV page grid on the default green color on purpose.

Incompatible with cockpit mods that alter f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl.dds and f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_RoughMet.dds. You'll have to overwrite these files with the files of this mod, in order to get the changes.

Similarly, this mod changes the materials.lua file, so it will conflict with any mod that does the same, although it is easy to edit this file yourself and change it as you see fit.

Screen_200115_041508.thumb.png.a8356c5db3a5800126c63a3ca1ba2fdc.png

Edited by Harker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

What the title says. I made a mod for the hell of it, that basically changes the green CRT DDIs to LCD MDIs (and reworked the AMPCD) and switches the font color for all three displays to white. I'm happy with the result and I've seen Hornets with LCD screens, but I'm unsure if they're USN Hornets. I don't want to use something that never existed.

Thanks in advance for any replies! The mod breaks IC as it is, but I can share it if anyone is interested.

PS. If anyone knows how to adjust the HAFU colors, please let me know. Friendly HAFUs are colored the same as the screen font, it seems, so they become white and I'd like to find a way to get them back to green.

I am interested and would like to try it out. Love the legacy Hornet cockpit but something the green color is overwhelming and would like to see how different it would look in different MFD color. I know the superbug Hornet cockpit is different.

My earliest concern before dcs Hornet was released but was told that is the only color configuration.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

It should be as easy as changing: Line 27 in file:

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\materials.lua

MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.LMDI] = {94, 202, 0, 255} -- MDI original

to:

MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.LMDI] = {255, 255, 255, 255} -- MDI original

Additionally, you can change display texture to black by unpacking archive from attachment to:

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip

I'll investigate HAFU but, so far, no luck.

Hey =4c=Nikola

What effect is line 27 is supposed to have. I just edited the material to 255, 255, 255, 255 and cannot see any changes to ddi color.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I uploaded the required files, with installation instructions.

!!! Backup everything.

• Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

F/A-18C LCI MDIs.

I replaced the AMPCD texture and RoughMet maps and modified the alpha and repainted the texture of the original for DDI glass protectors, so the curved DDIs below aren't visible anymore and the end result is flat LCD screens. I also added a custom RoughMet texture, in an effort to make it look more reflective and add a look of smudged glass. Suggestions are welcome.

!!! This mod does not pass IC,since I had to add a new custom texture.

Instructions:

1) Go to \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures and make a backup copy of FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip, in order to be able to switch to the original textures.

2) Open FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and drop the four DDS files in there. Replace when prompted.

3) Backup and replace the materials.lua file, located in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts.

Alternatively, use OVGME or something like that, to avoid the hassle. That's what I do.

I got it working now using you ovgme with your mod. I really like the white text against the green. Attachced is a cockpit snap in the night. Cool

Screen_191001_230525.thumb.png.d14301c3186dd8fd64659e4283fb2131.png

• Like 3

upgraded? from a multi colour display to a black and white display... you and I have different definitions of upgrade.

the Hornet DDI's arent fully colour capable. tri colour capability.

green yellow and red.

IN Super horents ( or some foreign hornets) only the background remains black and the white is just for the general alpha numeric/ symbology.

IRL though the actual LCD equipped hornets screens are fully colour capable, as in would be able to support a colour moving map for EG.

• Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

What the title says. I made a mod for the hell of it, that basically changes the green CRT DDIs to LCD MDIs (and reworked the AMPCD) and switches the font color for all three displays to white. I'm happy with the result and I've seen Hornets with LCD screens, but I'm unsure if they're USN Hornets. I don't want to use something that never existed.

Thanks in advance for any replies! The mod breaks IC as it is, but I can share it if anyone is interested.

PS. If anyone knows how to adjust the HAFU colors, please let me know. Friendly HAFUs are colored the same as the screen font, it seems, so they become white and I'd like to find a way to get them back to green.

F/A18A++ USMC Hornets have LCD DDI's although i dont think they use new white font colour.

Ive seen the RCAF CF18's ( which avionics wise are mirrors of the USMC F/A18A++) still use green font colour. They must be running on a different software suite than that of Super Hornets even though it would very much be possible have a change in how it is displayed.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

For me it doesn´t work.

If I replace the files, all other cockpit textures are black, even the landscape in cockpit view. All black!

Screen_191005_104420.png

Something's gone terribly wrong. You made a backup, right? If you haven't, delete the zip file with the textures and run a Repair.

You're meant to open the zip file and drag and drop my texture files inside, replacing when prompted. In your pic, it looks like a lot of textures were deleted or something.

Let me know if you figured it out, otherwise we can go over it in PMs.

-

Something's gone terribly wrong. You made a backup, right? If you haven't, delete the zip file with the textures and run a Repair.

You're meant to open the zip file and drag and drop my texture files inside, replacing when prompted. In your pic, it looks like a lot of textures were deleted or something.

Let me know if you figured it out, otherwise we can go over it in PMs.

i had this exact same issue just now. I followed your instructions. i opened the zip file, pulled in the 4 dds files, let them overwrite, and soon as i got into cockpit, complete black except for those screeens.

so guess i will have to uninstall.

i had this exact same issue just now. I followed your instructions. i opened the zip file, pulled in the 4 dds files, let them overwrite, and soon as i got into cockpit, complete black except for those screeens.

You need to replace the materials.lua file in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts too.

OK, this is weird. I'll download the files from the DCS website and try it myself. Maybe something changed with the latest update.
Edited by Harker

-

You need to replace the materials.lua file in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts too.
This is only for the white font on the displays. The DDS files are the actual textures.

-

OK,vthis is weird. I'll download the files from the DCS website and try it myself. Maybe something changed with the latest update.

No problem, i had to completely delete the zip folder and the backup folder i had in there and do a repair because when i deleted the modded one, and renamed the backup, it made half of the plane disappear lol. like the whole cockpit.

after deleting the two files that were changed i did a repair and was back to stock normal.

Maybe its because i did a copy of the file and renamed that? all though that shouldn't matter. and when i compared your material file to the original the only change i saw was the syntax for the color being changed.

I downloaded the files and proceeded according to my instructions and it worked fine. I don't know what the issue is.

One thing to note is that when you backup the original zip file, you should move it somewhere else, not keep it in the original folder, alongside the modded zip file.

This is a screenshot I took now, after installing the mod anew, downloaded from the DCS website. I didn't bother replacing the materials.lua file, since it only affects the display font and the problem is clearly texture related, that's why the font is still green.

Screen_191006_204322.thumb.png.48a5f0a525680d4ef733d43bcd6fa9cf.png

-

No problem, i had to completely delete the zip folder and the backup folder i had in there and do a repair because when i deleted the modded one, and renamed the backup, it made half of the plane disappear lol. like the whole cockpit.

after deleting the two files that were changed i did a repair and was back to stock normal.

Maybe its because i did a copy of the file and renamed that? all though that shouldn't matter. and when i compared your material file to the original the only change i saw was the syntax for the color being changed.

Were you keeping the backup zip in the original directory, alongside the modded one? If so, that's the problem. Move the backup somewhere else, outside the DCS installation, for safekeeping.

Edited by Harker

-

For me it doesn´t work.

If I replace the files, all other cockpit textures are black, even the landscape in cockpit view. All black!

Screen_191005_104420.png

Were you keeping the backup zip in the original directory, alongside the modded one? If so, that's the problem. Move the backup somewhere else, outside the DCS installation, for safekeeping.

Edited by Harker

-

yep i was keeping them in there. didn't think it would cause the issue being they were renamed. I will retry with them moved out.

yep i was keeping them in there. didn't think it would cause the issue being they were renamed. I will retry with them moved out.
DCS still reads whatever is still in the directory, apparently. I use OVGME and I haven't run into any issues like that. Let me know how it goes.

-