F/A-18C Hornet LCD MDIs and grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture

7 hours ago, lethal205 said:

I'm getting grey FLIR and Mav displays but my AG radar is still green and black. The text around perimeter of the AG picture appears modified, but as I said, the picture itself is not greyscale. Is this correct?

It all used to work perfectly, but I am now getting the same thing on the Radar, since I think the latest update

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 5:34 AM, lethal205 said:

I'm getting grey FLIR and Mav displays but my AG radar is still green and black. The text around perimeter of the AG picture appears modified, but as I said, the picture itself is not greyscale. Is this correct?

On 10/22/2021 at 12:48 PM, Toni Carrera said:

It all used to work perfectly, but I am now getting the same thing on the Radar, since I think the latest update

On my end, nothing seems changed. I tried the mod now and I get grayscale FLIR and A/G Radar. All sensor video in the Hornet is controlled by the same file, so it is very strange if you get the one and not the other.

Could you remove the mod completely, run a Repair of DCS and reapply it? (Be aware that the Repair will replace every file in your install directory with its default one, so it might mess up other mods). Or simply re-download the mod, apply it again and see if it works.

I updated some instructions for 2.7.7, since the mod does not break IC anymore (yay!), but nothing changed in the way it works.

Also, sorry for not responding quickly, but I'm not receiving notifications from this thread for some reason. I've opted to, several times.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 4:11 AM, TAIPAN_ said:

Hi Guys,

Since the recent integrity check changes in OpenBeta, do grayscale sensors still fail the integrity check?

Hello,

No, ED reverted the changes, you can use that file without failing IC.

• Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, OzDeaDMeaT said:

Is there an OvGME mod pack for this? The zip file doesnt seem to work with it.

Check out the ReadMe, only the part of the mod that goes into the main DCS directory. I'll paste the installations steps here, with the relevant part in bold. The cockpit textures are just a cockpit re-skin, but you can convert them for OVGME use if you wish (to combine them with another cockpit texture mod, for example).

Steps to install:

1) Install the cockpit textures by placing the "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" folder in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\

2) Install the white font and grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture:
     2a) Mod manager: The mod is JSGME/OVGME ready.

2b) Manual: Copy the Mods folder in the main DCS directory and overwrite when prompted. (You can make a manual backup of \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\IndicationResources\MDG\flir_texture.dds and \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\materials.lua).
     Important: Restore the original files (deactivate via a mod manager or run a Repair/Verify) before updating DCS, to avoid any complications (worst case scenario, a Repair/Verify will fix anything).

3) Enable the LCD displays by going into Options -> Special Options -> F/A-18C and sel ect "FA-18C Hornet LCD screens by Harker" from the Customized Cockpit list.

4) You also need to select MFD Reflections: Static in the Special Options, in order to see the changes.

-

Even though this display type  is more akin to a Super Hornet Im gonna go to using this mod because I find it harder to view FLIR page from the  Hornets old DDI's.  versus other modules that have  LCD  colour displays with FLIR in greyscale.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Thanks 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

actually i realized its not so much the displaying in greenscale vs greyscale as i thought For whatever reason since the last few updates the EO mode of targeting pods redering are so bright by default that i just cant read information on them unless i drastically adjust brightness knobs

Wmyh78A.jpg

It always wasn't like this 

U9m6kwM.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

12 hours ago, Kev2go said:

actually i realized its not so much the displaying in greenscale vs greyscale as i thought For whatever reason since the last few updates the EO mode of targeting pods redering are so bright by default that i just cant read information on them unless i drastically adjust brightness knobs

Wmyh78A.jpg

It always wasn't like this 

U9m6kwM.jpg

This was due to the last update in DCS, ED changed the brightness of certain viewports. Nothing changed in the files related to the mod, I check after every update. The only solution I could offer is that I could upload a darker gray texture for the picture, but then the FLIR and A/G radar will be too dark, requiring display adjustments all the time.

For now, your best course of action is to adjust the picture using the brightness and contrast knobs, when you are in CCD mode.

-

On 1/5/2022 at 11:52 PM, Kev2go said:

Even though this display type  is more akin to a Super Hornet Im gonna go to using this mod because I find it harder to view FLIR page from the  Hornets old DDI's.  versus other modules that have  LCD  colour displays with FLIR in greyscale.

Actually not so much. Finnish and Swiss F-18C uses these more modern greyscale displays. Finns also have the same touchscreen control panel between the mfd's like Super Hornet. It was part of upgrades. 

On 1/9/2022 at 5:15 AM, Blinde said:

Actually not so much. Finnish and Swiss F-18C uses these more modern greyscale displays. Finns also have the same touchscreen control panel between the mfd's like Super Hornet. It was part of upgrades. 

Yes i know thus they basically have super hornet avionics. they have the UFCD. and the lower AMPCD is the larger type in use, both of which are on the Super Hornets. The only legacy avionics thing that remains is the older F/A18C  IFEI panel versus the Super Hornets new  EFD display for its specific engines

the DDI's are of the sort used on the F/A18A++ Hornets of the USMC, however they don't display symbology and alphanumeric in grey/white. Still use Green Font, even though the displays are technically full color capable like AMPCD. So if tere is any lack of ability of displaying a moving map on these newer DDI's. It is likely a software limitation not a technical limitation of a display.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

On 1/9/2022 at 2:13 AM, Harker said:

This was due to the last update in DCS, ED changed the brightness of certain viewports. Nothing changed in the files related to the mod, I check after every update. The only solution I could offer is that I could upload a darker gray texture for the picture, but then the FLIR and A/G radar will be too dark, requiring display adjustments all the time.

For now, your best course of action is to adjust the picture using the brightness and contrast knobs, when you are in CCD mode.

yeah i think i will do that.  ED needs to do some adjusting on thier end with how CCD mode currently is.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Harker,

I want to use this mod badly but seem to be having issues with the latest DCS "stable" version recognizing your work!  Using your zip file "FA-18C_LCD_MDIs.Zip, I extract "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" into my Username\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries folder.  I then extract the "Mods" folder into the DCS World\_Mods folder for OvGME activation.

I am able to activate the "Mods" in OvGME but launching DCS and checking Options/Special/Custom Cockpit only shows the default cockpit as an option.  Launching a mission shows the standard green MDIs.  I've spent hours on this to no avail and I'm not unfamiliar with mod installation.  Ay suggestions?  This looks great!  Thanks in advance.

Radial Madness

Edited by sgilewicz

Radial Madness

Problem solved.  For whatever reason "flir_texture.dds to DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\IndicationResources\MDG\" was NOT copied.  The original DCS file was still listed.  A manual copy and paste from your zip file did the trick.  Great, great, great mod!  Installation, however, needed significant rework.  Thanks for your hard work on this.  It has made TGP, in particular, much more user friendly!

Good hunting!

Radial Madness

• Like 1

Radial Madness

On 4/8/2022 at 12:38 AM, sgilewicz said:

Hi Harker,

I want to use this mod badly but seem to be having issues with the latest DCS "stable" version recognizing your work!  Using your zip file "FA-18C_LCD_MDIs.Zip, I extract "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" into my Username\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries folder.  I then extract the "Mods" folder into the DCS World\_Mods folder for OvGME activation.

I am able to activate the "Mods" in OvGME but launching DCS and checking Options/Special/Custom Cockpit only shows the default cockpit as an option.  Launching a mission shows the standard green MDIs.  I've spent hours on this to no avail and I'm not unfamiliar with mod installation.  Ay suggestions?  This looks great!  Thanks in advance.

Radial Madness

On 4/15/2022 at 12:52 AM, sgilewicz said:

Problem solved.  For whatever reason "flir_texture.dds to DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\IndicationResources\MDG\" was NOT copied.  The original DCS file was still listed.  A manual copy and paste from your zip file did the trick.  Great, great, great mod!  Installation, however, needed significant rework.  Thanks for your hard work on this.  It has made TGP, in particular, much more user friendly!

Good hunting!

Radial Madness

Hi there, sorry, your previous comment flew under my radar. Glad to hear you got it working!

The installation should work as normal, I check after every DCS update. For the Saved Games folder, did you remember to create the "Cockpit_F-18C" in Liveries and place the mod inside?

For the install directory of the game, if you want to use OVGME, then your top level directory should be just DCS World, my files are designed to be placed there.

Anyway, I'm happy you got it working and sorry for not replying to your previous question.

-

• 4 months later...

Hi Harker, as I seem to only be able to choose one dropdown option in the special menu and want to run this mod with another cockpit mod, please could you explain how to do this? 

Many thanks! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi Harker, as I seem to only be able to choose one dropdown option in the special menu and want to run this mod with another cockpit mod, please could you explain how to do this? 

Many thanks! 

Hi,

Out of the box, mods that are installed via the Saved Games method are incompatible with each other.

But you can combine them quite easily into one mod. I'll go over the process of combining two mods, A and B, in mod B's folder.

1. Take the texture files from mod A, place them in the folder of the mod B and overwrite if prompted.

2. Open mods' B description.lua and make sure the lines from mod A's description.lua are also present there. If not, copy them over.

3. Select mod B from the drop down list, in Special options. For my mod to work, make sure to select the correct Reflection option as well.

That's it.

You might also want to rename mod B's folder into something else, since it's not representative of the original mod anymore.

With the above method, you can have something like a full cockpit mod that uses my display textures, for example. As for the font and sensor video color, those still go into the main DCS folder as normal.

If anything weird occurs, I'd double check that you did 1 and 2 correctly, that's where the problem will be, if there is one.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-

Perfect, thanks Harker…..I had tried that first before posting, but minus the description .lua file bit, which was why it did not work obviously!!!

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:35 AM, markturner1960 said:

Perfect, thanks Harker…..I had tried that first before posting, but minus the description .lua file bit, which was why it did not work obviously!!!

Glad to hear it's working!

-

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, PharaohSteve said:

Really enjoying this, thanks!

One thing though, although the mod works I don't have a custom cockpit option?

Hi, are you sure you placed the folder named "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" in C:\Users\(username)\Saved Games\DCS(or DCS.openbeta)\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\ ? If so, you should be seeing this option in the drop down list of customized cockpits, in the Special tab of Options, in-game.

Out of curiosity, are you actually getting the LCD-looking screens (kind of dark blue/purple color) or only seeing the green DDIs still?

-

2 hours ago, Harker said:

Hi, are you sure you placed the folder named "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" in C:\Users\(username)\Saved Games\DCS(or DCS.openbeta)\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\ ? If so, you should be seeing this option in the drop down list of customized cockpits, in the Special tab of Options, in-game.

Out of curiosity, are you actually getting the LCD-looking screens (kind of dark blue/purple color) or only seeing the green DDIs still?

Sorry for the bother, I had only completed half the steps correctly. All set now and WOW.

What an incredible difference, just in time as I just started the new Persian Lion II campaign.

null

Check out my YouTube channel.

Pulling my hair out trying to get this to work with this pit mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302845/

I followed the steps above and also amended the description.lua these lines were already in there anyway:

{"F-18C-mirror", 0, "mirrors",true};

{"f18c_cpt-displayglass", 0, "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl", false};
    {"f18c_cpt-displayglass", 13, "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_Roughmet", false};

{"map", 0, "mfd3", true};

But I still see the standard MFDs.🤔

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

18 hours ago, PharaohSteve said:

Sorry for the bother, I had only completed half the steps correctly. All set now and WOW.

What an incredible difference, just in time as I just started the new Persian Lion II campaign.

null

Happy it worked, enjoy!

16 hours ago, zildac said:

Pulling my hair out trying to get this to work with this pit mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302845/

I followed the steps above and also amended the description.lua these lines were already in there anyway:

{"F-18C-mirror", 0, "mirrors",true};

{"f18c_cpt-displayglass", 0, "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl", false};
    {"f18c_cpt-displayglass", 13, "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_Roughmet", false};

{"map", 0, "mfd3", true};

But I still see the standard MFDs.🤔

Hi. The best way to go about it is to drop my textures (the two files in the "FA-18C Hornet LCD MDIs by Harker" folder) into the folder of the other cockpit livery mod and replace when prompted.

Then, in the DCS Special options, select the customized cockpit from the drop down list and also, select "MFD Reflections -> Static" from the drop down list below (my textures don't have fake reflections, but it's just a naming convention in DCS). You should both get the rest of the customized cockpit, as well as my display textures, then.

-