CH products upgrades

rel4y

The PCBs have arrived and everything is looking good. :) I honestly had my doubts about the Fighterstick conversion board, but everything fits perfectly. It should be able to fit a high quality Knitter button in the weapon release position, but I haven't tried that yet.

Now we only have to wait for a few parts to arrive (ADCs) and we can start testing these little beauties. :)

Upgrade mainboard price will be 25€ for the first batch of 10.

IMG-20191028-120109.jpg IMG-20191028-120120.jpg IMG-20191028-120130.jpg

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

The PCBs have arrived and everything is looking good. :) I honestly had my doubts about the Fighterstick conversion board, but everything fits perfectly. It should be able to fit a high quality Knitter button in the weapon release position, but I haven't tried that yet.

Now we only have to wait for a few parts to arrive (ADCs) and we can start testing these little beauties. :)

Upgrade mainboard price will be 25€ for the first batch of 10.

IMG-20191028-092456.jpg IMG-20191028-120109.jpg IMG-20191028-120120.jpg IMG-20191028-120130.jpg

They look great rel4y! Can you simplify the upgrade path for me please? I'm not going to add anything to my Fighterstick, just want it be be as accurate as possible and reliable for years to come. Should I just do the sensors, or swap all boards out too? As long as no precise soldering is needed i'm up to doing whatever!

Thanks!

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

They look great rel4y! Can you simplify the upgrade path for me please? I'm not going to add anything to my Fighterstick, just want it be be as accurate as possible and reliable for years to come. Should I just do the sensors, or swap all boards out too? As long as no precise soldering is needed i'm up to doing whatever!

Thanks!

Hey Gary,

Has Thomas responded to you? He should be back by now, but I haven't talked to him yet. Otherwise I will have a look at your email. Thanks for staying patient my friend. :)

If you already own a Fighterstick you won't need the Fighterstick conversion board, it is just there to convert Combatsticks into Fightersticks and add the extra 4 way hats the Combatstick is lacking. Plus that unnecessary but cool option of adding a superb quality knitter button. These are used in Formula 1 racing cars eg and I get wet panties everytime I feel the precise click of one. :music_whistling:

You will be interested in the CH upgrade mainboard and the sensors I believe. These are completely plug and play, no soldering required at all. And I would argue two contactless sensors are enough as you are most likely not using the Throttle axis in the Fighterstick base. If you own a Pro Throttle you can theoretically buy another upgrade mainboard and improve the Throttle axis/ Microstick resolution of the Throttle, but I would definitely recommend the contactless sensor for the Throttle. It gets rid of all current or future potentiometer spiking. :thumbup:

The CH upgrade mainboard will fit all CH devices, is completely plug and play, improves axis resolution from 8 to 12 Bit and adds countless expansion capabilities. I will make a new thread with detailed explanation once everything is ready to go.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Hey Gary,

Has Thomas responded to you? He should be back by now, but I haven't talked to him yet. Otherwise I will have a look at your email. Thanks for staying patient my friend. :)

If you already own a Fighterstick you won't need the Fighterstick conversion board, it is just there to convert Combatsticks into Fightersticks and add the extra 4 way hats the Combatstick is lacking. Plus that unnecessary but cool option of adding a superb quality knitter button. These are used in Formula 1 racing cars eg and I get wet panties everytime I feel the precise click of one. :music_whistling:

Nothing from Thomas yet, but as I want the new sensors also (for both the throttle and Fighterstick (yes I do have the FS)) there is no rush, i'll wait and buy all at once if that's ok.

You will be interested in the CH upgrade mainboard and the sensors I believe. These are completely plug and play, no soldering required at all. And I would argue two contactless sensors are enough as you are most likely not using the Throttle axis in the Fighterstick base. If you own a Pro Throttle you can theoretically buy another upgrade mainboard and improve the Throttle axis/ Microstick resolution of the Throttle, but I would definitely recommend the contactless sensor for the Throttle. It gets rid of all current or future potentiometer spiking. :thumbup:

The CH upgrade mainboard will fit all CH devices, is completely plug and play, improves axis resolution from 8 to 12 Bit and adds countless expansion capabilities. I will make a new thread with detailed explanation once everything is ready to go.

Got it, please put me down as definite for the new FS Mainboard and new sensors for both the Fighterstick and the Pro Throttle. Currently I do use the FS Throttle wheel but that will end with my Pro Throttle rebuild. On another note, did you see my post on the Digikey Pots? Will your sensors also replace the Pro Pedal sensors (as i'm told CH only used 3 for everything, maybe map what goes where?). Thanks so much!

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Nothing from Thomas yet, but as I want the new sensors also (for both the throttle and Fighterstick (yes I do have the FS)) there is no rush, i'll wait and buy all at once if that's ok.
Absolutely! I'll keep you updated. We are still waiting for the new sensor housings and a bunch of electronic parts. As said earlier everything should be tested and ready by mid November. :)
On another note, did you see my post on the Digikey Pots? Will your sensors also replace the Pro Pedal sensors (as i'm told CH only used 3 for everything, maybe map what goes where?). Thanks so much!
I did, but I am a bit confused. Personally I don't own the CH pedals, but from what I was gathering online it should make use of the same type of potentiometer as the sticks and throttle. So I was expecting that my sensors will fit sticks, pro throttle and pedals.

I did, but I am a bit confused. Personally I don't own the CH pedals, but from what I was gathering online it should make use of the same type of potentiometer as the sticks and throttle. So I was expecting that my sensors will fit sticks, pro throttle and pedals.

Well, apparently the throttle (according to Digikey) alone uses that special pot (1040-1156-ND - REPPOT615, stamped 900-6158 1741 on the housing), the toe brakes use the only pot with the longer shaft with 90 degree contacts (1040-1164-ND and is stamped HP-100A 1709). I can only assume the Fighterstick and Pedals use the 3rd variant (I call it "Unknown" in the pics attached, looks the same size as the throttle to me) - (1040-1173-ND, stamped 900-615C 0537), no idea what, if any, difference it is from the Throttle pot other than part numbers?

Here are pics of all three for comparison, labeled so you know what is what. Note that the throttle and "Unknown" are at full CCW and are the same, and both have the same travel, but not the same part #'s..

1910240667_ToeBrakeRight-UnknownLeft.thumb.jpg.35456e398a6d1ba1e0befb0e83c30685.jpg

660089692_ThrottleonRight-Unknownonleft.jpg.d4af61d0c2432e3f0005f5f07593fccd.jpg

206542369_ThrottleFullCCWTurn.jpg.a0386de627caa2cc584ea0b5561098f5.jpg

2034021113_UnknownFullCCWturn.thumb.jpg.c2e158ee5e39d1fb269f947ea813f3d8.jpg

Edited by GaryR

Maybe it's for the Throttle quadrant, because the Pro Throttle definitely uses the same shaft type as the sticks but with a higher rotation angle. The pedals should also use the long shaft type pot on all three axis. However, I don't want to get into speculation here as I have first hand experience only with the sticks and pro throttle and don't want to mislead anyone. :(

It's all good buddy, I may well be swapping out the bow-legged Pro Pedals for yours when they are ready anyway! ;)

Just to add more confusion, this is the only pic I could find of Pro Pedals base taken apart showing the OEM Pot... and the number is different from all the others..:lol:

44874484_ProPedalsPot.jpg.cc71f077ddf1394e94213d1ed53c088b.jpg

Edited by GaryR

• 3 weeks later...

After 3 nights of non stop picking, placing, soldering, cutting, wiring, gluing and flitting it is starting to look good for the new CH stuff. Haven't tested it fully yet, but tomorrow will be the day. :)

IMG-20191113-210424.jpg IMG-20191113-224424.jpg

After 3 nights of non stop picking, placing, soldering, cutting, wiring, gluing and flitting it is starting to look good for the new CH stuff. Haven't tested it fully yet, but tomorrow will be the day. :)

Great, it's tomorrow!! :megalol::megalol:

Edited by GaryR

This is looking really good! Really liking all the love for CH stuff!

Sorry, had an important doctor appointment yesterday in a different city and not much time. I ran into some unexpected issues sadly.

The button matrix, shift registers and the addon axis are working as expected, but the external ADC is causing me trouble. So far I've made good experiences with MCP3201/2 which were always working like a charm. These had Vdd and Vref on the same pin. The MCP3208s have an extra Vref pin and this time I left Vref floating to check if it uses internal Vref. In case it didn't work the fix is simple, as Vdd and Vref are neighbouring pins, so I can just tie them together with a solder bridge.

But I simply get no output from any of the 8 ADC channels other than a stable 4095.. I'm confused! Voltage supply is a constant 4.9V. I'm at a loss currently... Maybe I mixed up some pins like MISO and MOSI? I doubt it but will check tonight! sorry guys, it's not always smooth sailing sadly! :(

Sorry, had an important doctor appointment yesterday in a different city and not much time. I ran into some unexpected issues sadly.

The button matrix, shift registers and the addon axis are working as expected, but the external ADC is causing me trouble. So far I've made good experiences with MCP3201/2 which were always working like a charm. These had Vdd and Vref on the same pin. The MCP3208s have an extra Vref pin and this time I left Vref floating to check if it uses internal Vref. In case it didn't work the fix is simple, as Vdd and Vref are neighbouring pins, so I can just tie them together with a solder bridge.

But I simply get no output from any of the 8 ADC channels other than a stable 4095.. I'm confused! Voltage supply is a constant 4.9V. I'm at a loss currently... Maybe I mixed up some pins like MISO and MOSI? I doubt it but will check tonight! sorry guys, it's not always smooth sailing sadly! :(

No problem, you will figure it out! I'm in the middle of moving to my new flat so it's all good..

:thumbup:

No news on the mainboards sadly.. I wasted almost 4 hours searching for the problem, but couldnt locate it yet! :noexpression:

Also the last mainboard parts got stuck in customs and the notification came today after 2 weeks, even though the parts are not even close to relevant customs value.. Public servants at their best! :music_whistling:

Buuut, very good news on the CH sensors! I am even suprised myself by how smooth they make the Fighterstick! Here is my dirty little test setup I soldered together and the VKB Joytester view. This is the completely unfiltered 10 Bit signal. When the stick is centered in the tik tok gimbal mechanism even a little wiggle within the centered position is picked up, thats crazy good and speaks for perfect fit in all the right places! Super smooth action overall, you guys will love it! :thumbup:

IMG-20191117-021746.jpg IMG-20191117-021516.jpg unfiltered-CH-sensor.jpg

Great news on the sensors! I'm sure you will get the boards figured out!

I've located the problem and fixed it! It was one of the SPI pins that was draining to ground. However these need to be pulled up in idle state.and not down! I had obviously at some point during design relocated that pin to a former ground pin and forgot to cut the connection to the ground plane. I found it while I was already redesigning the mainboard it of frustration. Well, that was a hard one... :doh:

Now the ADC is working like a charm and I will finish my testing tonight. If all goes to plan I am ready to ship by the end of the week. :)

I've located the problem and fixed it! It was one of the SPI pins that was draining to ground. However these need to be pulled up in idle state.and not down! I had obviously at some point during design relocated that pin to a former ground pin and forgot to cut the connection to the ground plane. I found it while I was already redesigning the mainboard it of frustration. Well, that was a hard one... :doh:

Now the ADC is working like a charm and I will finish my testing tonight. If all goes to plan I am ready to ship by the end of the week. :)

Like there was ever any doubt... :thumbup::thumbup:

Email me with my invoice when you are ready!

:D

I picked up the last mainboard parts (male micro USB plugs) from customs and now I have completed the boards. Besides being hard to find, these male micro USB plugs allow me to have USB data lines pinned out to the KF2510 connector. This way you can use the original USB cable of the CH devices and for gameport versions where no USB cable is existent, plug into the micro USB directly.

IMG-20191122-152935.jpg

This is what the finished CH upgrade mainboards look like now. I tested around and found the SMD decoupling cap wasn't doing it's job properly, so I added one directly to the ADC pins which now does what it's supposed to! :)

Since I had to manually correct a few mistakes and therefore the board doesn't look as clean as it's supposed to, I decided to lable it a beta unit. This also reflects in price, it will only be 20€ a piece. The rev 1.1 version will be the production unit and cost 30€. It will also make my life during production much easier! Now don't get me wrong, rev 1.0 works fine but it's not perfect! I redesigned parts of the board, especially around the ADC and also fixed the two mentioned mistakes. I know getting a 12 Bit ADC with 1.2 mV steps absolutely noiseless is nigh impossible, but trying doesn't hurt! Currently it needs a 2x software filter to be noise free (which is better than the original CH board), let's see if we can get that down to 0x. :D

IMG-20191120-183441.jpg

Here are the finished new CH sensors. There's only a total of 15 and 3 of them are staying in my CH devices. So, get em while their hot! ;)

Edited by rel4y

Here are the finished new CH sensors. There's only a total of 15 and 3 of them are staying in my CH devices. So, get em while their hot! ;)

Sent you an email, as long as the new mainboards operate as designed i'm ready! Either way I'll go for 3 of the sensors, just let me know!

I emailed about the sensor and the other things 2 and a half weeks ago. :)

Still waiting for a reply.

Oh, sorry about that. I will have a look at the mails.