WMR DEBUG TOOL - cross eye alignment

BIGNEWY

I looked at the module icons on the bottom of the DCS start and moved the slider of all settings, does improve - somewhat - does give you a headache, so go slow, then figure out what happens.

You're looking to find the 'comfortable sweet spot' which is a lot easier to find on a static page than in a cockpit flying, it's rather obvious.

2cts

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

• 1 month later...

Can someone give a little tutorial on this tool? What do the various sliders do, and what is the best technique to adjust them apart from trial and error?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Trying to solve the misaligned eyes -issue by using the debug tool provided gave rather good results but not perfect when simply copying the settings of one eye over to the other and saving the conf file.

I think that I found the solution / bug (?) at least in my case after trying to figure out what exactly to tune in order to make things truly match. Now I have minimal eye strain and practically no need to adjust the IPD setting in DCS VR options menu.

The best values I found by experimenting are reached simply by just resetting to defaults and swapping the top/bottom screen edge values for both eyes. After that the DCS display matches perfectly with the SteamVR and overlay displays. Note that the perfect matching requires for me that the forced IPD adjustment is clicked off in DCS VR options.

See attached screenshot. Note that this is for Valve Index.

Apparently the calibration values carried by the headset are reported with vertical limits in reversed order (or DCS reads them reversed). This might vary from headset model to another, as many people have no issues with misalignment. Alternatively, maybe only some of the headsets have sufficiently asymmetric calibration that it gets messed up noticeably. (I'm just speculating here.)

In case of remaining IPD mismatch, further tweaking may be possible by changing both DCS IPD setting and the screen edge values synchronously (or maybe not). Or perhaps something in steamvr. I did not pursue this further as I'm within 1mm of the DCS default IPD of 70mm.

My current good configuration was found and verified by turning on the steamvr boundary (i.e. chaperone) and setting the view centerpoint / seat position so that the chaperone seems to be sitting on some detailed feature of the cockpit. The chaperone can be forced on at: SteamVR menu - Developer - Debug Commands - collision_bounds_toggle. Now, if the configuration is correct, the chaperone lines crossing the cockpit dial remain accurately fixed on top of each other in any position, rotation or tilt of head while wearing the headset. Even a small miscalibration can be perceived by looking e.g. at a cockpit dial down and to the side and turning and tilting the head around as in some head orientations the relative positions of the cockpit dial and chaperone lines appear to be different from other head orientations or positions. When config is good, changing head orientation causes no shift in the apparent relative positions of cockpit dials and chaperone lines.

Hope this helps.

This post was helpful to me.

• Thanks 1

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

This post was helpful to me.

I think DCS changed something again, tweaked till sharp, but yesterday checked settings and default was best.

When I tweaked moving all sliders to sharpest image on the start GUI, my HUD was way off in the sim while everything else was super sharp.

I think I'll try in the sim to sharpen the Stennis ball IFLOS only from 6nm out, see if that works. 2 cts

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

+1

Despite some help here, I literally don’t know where to start. What do all those sliders do?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
Within the last couple of days the debug window has been appearing by default every single time I run DCS in VR. I did not turn it on via the autoexec.cfg file and I'd like to get rid of it.

Should autosave a settings file in your \saved games\dcs

perhaps 'Save' will stop it

• 2 weeks later...

I've got problem with VR SPYGLASS.

I've assigned VR Spyglass to a button, and looked at the truck at the airfield while zoom.

I see two images. So I grab slider, adjust to have normal image. I barely understand what slider does, but at some point again, I feel that I see right.

Unzoom

I can see double everything right now in non-VR SPYGLASS mode.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to set this up that every zoom level works properly?

I've got problem with VR SPYGLASS.

I've assigned VR Spyglass to a button, and looked at the truck at the airfield while zoom.

I see two images. So I grab slider, adjust to have normal image. I barely understand what slider does, but at some point again, I feel that I see right.

Unzoom

I can see double everything right now in non-VR SPYGLASS mode.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to set this up that every zoom level works properly?

I don’t think anyone knows what the sliders do! I guess that’s why no one responds to requests for help with this tool.

• 2 weeks later...

"Good" (or actually not good) to see I'm not the only one having this cross eye thing going on with my Reverb.

I tinkered a bit with the mysterious sliders and it's all much better now! :thumbup:

So, does this have anything to do with our eyes (am I some kind of abomination?) or is this something within DCS that needs some additional attention?

Edit:

Nevermind, I found the answer as I don't have any cross-eye issues in other applications. Not an abomination after all then

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

As far as I can figure, the sliders define the upper, lower, inner and outer boundaries of each eye's field of view. Increasing a slider will widen the FOV in that direction, decreasing it narrows the FOV in that direction.

If you increase all the sliders equally, that has the effect of widening your FOV (like a fisheye lens). Conversely, decreasing all the sliders equally narrows each eye's FOV (like a zoom lens).

You can move shift each eye's FOV by increasing one slider and decreasing the opposite slider by the same amount. So if you increase the right eye's OUTER slider and decrease the right eye's INNER slider, it will shift the right eye's FOV to the outside (right) without zooming. This will force your right eye to shift in (left) to track the same object, resulting in having to look cross-eyed.

If you decreased one slider and decreased the opposite slider without changing the other two, you would in effect "stretch" or zoom in one direction only.

The goal would be to first adjust the location of each eye's FOV so that distant objects appear lined up without having to strain your eyes. This is not always easy since your eyes will automatically attempt to track an object and you may not realize you're cross-eyed. Closing your eyes and then briefly opening them can help--your eyes won't have time to track what you're seeing, and you can more easily see if the images are not lined up.

The next goal would be to adjust the zoom level so that the displayed FOV in each eye matches the actual FOV of your headset. You can tell you're zoomed in too far if the world seems to move faster than you are turning your head (the same effect when you are press the VR zoom button in DCS). You can tell you're zoomed out too far if the world seems to move slower than you are turning your head.

Obviously, if you get the first goal wrong, you're eyes will be constantly diverged, resulting in headaches. If you get the second wrong, this can lead to a lot of motion sickness (like holding down the zoom button for too long while moving your head around). I'm not sure, but zooming out or fisheyeing the view might make you less prone to motion sickness, with obvious problems of less visual resolution.

Disclaimer--this is my understanding of it, I'm no expert on this or anything. Also, I hope I don't have the increase/decrease thing backwards, I don't have it open in front of me to test out.

Edited by jaylw314

Hi jaylw and welcome to the forum!

Your explanation makes sense.

I think I have mine configured slightly fish-eyed, up to a point where it all still feels natural. The additional visual (not actual obviously) fov gained, does make it slightly easier to look behind or below inside the cockpit. Resolution of the Reverb is high enough anyways to still read everything without any troubles.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have always been hitting the x on this and have been fine for a few months. Just now though I noticed one eye was different than the other (apparently on elevation) and now the WMR window isn't coming up anymore. It's most disorienting but I can close one eye and bring up the settings but not that initial WMR screen. WMR Home and Elite Dangerous seemed fine, so just DCS.

1) Anyone see anything like this?

2) Any way to get that debug setting window back?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I have always been hitting the x on this and have been fine for a few months. Just now though I noticed one eye was different than the other (apparently on elevation) and now the WMR window isn't coming up anymore. It's most disorienting but I can close one eye and bring up the settings but not that initial WMR screen. WMR Home and Elite Dangerous seemed fine, so just DCS.

delete

"x:..\Saved Games\DCS<..>\<HP Reverb VR Headset VR1000-2xxx0.lua>"

yours will be called <Samsung something>:

EYE_LEFT = {
   L_OUT    =1.113988,
   L_IN    =0.943919,
   L_TOP    =1.000000,
   L_BTM    =1.000000,
}
EYE_RGHT = {
   R_OUT    =1.107212,
   R_IN    =0.946061,
   R_TOP    =1.000000,
   R_BTM    =1.000000,
} 

and the debug will show again

Your file is called "Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA0.lua" and it should be in your Saved Games\DCS (or DCS.openbeta) folder

FWIW, my Samsung Odyssey+ settings are:

EYE_LEFT = {

L_OUT =1.219572,

L_IN =1.037268,

L_TOP =1.406629,

L_BTM =1.408261,

}

EYE_RGHT = {

R_OUT =1.219572,

R_IN =1.037268,

R_TOP =1.406629,

R_BTM =1.408261,

}

Yeah deleting that file did it. Well I moved it into a new subfolder, Thanks! I did note that the right and left were off big time (L_TOP was 1.424930 and R_TOP was 1.095000) everything else was much closer. Curious how they'd get so far off.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 months later...
Where is this file located in the Steam version ? I cannot locate it...
Should be users\your name\saved games\dcs something

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yup I'm on Steam. How do you make this screen stop popping up? Don't ever adjust it anymore... just hit x.

Specs & Wishlist:

Some eye strain in actual VR is inevitable, no software can fix it, because the focus distance of HMDs is fixed, and we have the vergence/acomodation conflict.

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Vergence-Accommodation_Conflict

So I don't know what this "cross eye alignement tool" is, but having eye strain doesn't mean it's not working.

would be much easier if we could just put left and right ipd as you get it from the optician into 2 fields. well, I will try it and play around with those fields now.....

I have 33 and 30, I use 63 everywhere, and never had any problem. I have used PSVR, Rift CV1,GO, Quest and Reverb.

I'm trying to understand what this "cross eye alignement" is, but I don't understand it.

In case IPD should be splited in 2 fields, that would be at driver level I guess, Oculus, Steam, WMR.

Edited by cercata

Some eye strain in actual VR is inevitable, no software can fix it, because the focus distance of HMDs is fixed, and we have the vergence/acomodation conflict.

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Vergence-Accommodation_Conflict

So I don't know what this "cross eye alignement tool" is, but having eye strain doesn't mean it's not working.

I have 33 and 30, I use 63 everywhere, and never had any problem. I have used PSVR, Rift CV1,GO, Quest and Reverb.

I'm trying to understand what this "cross eye alignement" is, but I don't understand it.

In case IPD should be splited in 2 fields, that would be at driver level I guess, Oculus, Steam, WMR.

I don't believe it is an IPD issue but the fact that not all panels (same make & model) seem to have the same geometry. For some reason only certain products (iRacing, DCS, Elite Dangerous) seem to have an issue, which must be down to how the game engine. The Samsung Odyssey+ was the first product I am aware of that highlighted the issue. iRacing had an option to run nVidia SPS (single pass stereo) and the issue was with vertical alignment. Several options were added to try to cure it but the solution varies from headset to headset, some not at all.

The DCS option goes a step further as it allows the user to manually adjust the geometry to match the specific headset.

I have now idea why it is only these few products impacted.

I get more eyestrain using monitors than VR, I think the focal distance suits my long sighted eyes! It is instantly noticeable if the image is off horizontally or vertically.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone

For those of you having problems with windows mixed reality and cross eyes the team have enabled a debug tool for the next update.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218185&stc=1&d=1570000922wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

To enable you will need to add this line to your autoexec.cfg

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true

The autoexec.cfg can be found here

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config

If you do not have one create one using notepad++ and save as .cfg

Once enabled the window will appear when you start DCS in VR

then adjust to your own preference and click save and close.

this will place a VR preference file for your headset in your saved games DCS folder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218186&stc=1&d=1570000922wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

The debug window will not return unless you remove this file from your saved games if you wish to adjust again.

We hope this will help some of you using windows mixed reality who are experiencing problem with miss alignment.

Thank you.

Hi,

How do I disable this window?

• ED Team

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true to false

in your autoexec.cfg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Does anyone with a Reverb G2 know if this tool is still needed/of benefit, has the underlying issue with WMR HMD's been addressed since this was released?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero