WMR DEBUG TOOL - cross eye alignment

BIGNEWY

On 1/13/2021 at 2:30 PM, chrisofsweden said:

Ok well, still,  ED should be able to fix it as other steam vr games does not have this issue?

It may be the case for one particular headset but that's pure luck. On my side it's awful in FS2020

I did a proper calibration using a DIY alignment bench and debug tool (see earlier in this thread) and now it's perfect in DCS.

The core issue is more likely Reverbs not properly factory calibrated or the calibration not properly stored/applied by the firmware.

27 minutes ago, Kercheiz said:

It may be the case for one particular headset but that's pure luck. On my side it's awful in FS2020

I did a proper calibration using a DIY alignment bench and debug tool (see earlier in this thread) and now it's perfect in DCS.

The core issue is more likely Reverbs not properly factory calibrated or the calibration not properly stored/applied by the firmware.

I can't agree with this. If the core issue was in fact in the hardware / headset calibration, why is it not apparent in WMR Portal, and other SteamVR games?

It's very apparent to me it's a software issue, where DCS (and MSFS2020 apparently) either does not read/use the headsets calibration values at all or doesn't read/use them correctly.

• Like 2

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

3 minutes ago, chrisofsweden said:

I can't agree with this. If the core issue was in fact in the hardware / headset calibration, why is it not apparent in WMR Portal, and other SteamVR games?

It's very apparent to me it's a software issue, where DCS (and MSFS2020 apparently) either does not read/use the headsets calibration values at all or doesn't read/use them correctly.

Because the hardware calibration is just a measure that is stored inside the headset and must be applied properly by the underlying software, that must adjust its rendering frustums accordingly.

3 minutes ago, Kercheiz said:

Because the hardware calibration is just a measure that is stored inside the headset and must be applied properly by the underlying software, that must adjust its rendering frustums accordingly.

Well exactly? So DCS is not applying the calibration values stored in the headset, while other SteamVR games apparently do.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz

1 minute ago, chrisofsweden said:

Well exactly? So DCS is not applying the calibration values stored in the headset, while other SteamVR games apparently do.

You may be right, I did not try any SteamVR game. What puzzled me is that FS2020 suffers the same issue, even worse. But it may be also be much more noticable on flight sims because you have both very close planes (cockpit) and objects at infinity.

Edited by Kercheiz

3 minutes ago, Kercheiz said:

You may be right, I did not try any SteamVR game. What puzzled me is that FS2020 suffers the same issue, even worse.

Nothing on the MSFS2020 forums about this? Maybe they have a "tool" aswell? It's extra ironic given how MSFS2020 VR was released exclusively for WMR / Reverb G2 first.

36 minutes ago, chrisofsweden said:

Nothing on the MSFS2020 forums about this? Maybe they have a "tool" aswell? It's extra ironic given how MSFS2020 VR was released exclusively for WMR / Reverb G2 first.

Yes...

I read somewhere that FS2020 isn't even WMR native but uses OpenXR as an intermediate layer. To be confirmed though...

36 minutes ago, chrisofsweden said:

I never had any issues with 2020 and x-eye tbh. However I've had two G2's one of which was awful out of the box in regard to this and the other which was a little boss eyed! Having to faff with a tool to sort out something that only occurs in a single title (that I've experienced) seems ridiculous frankly.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

23 hours ago, zildac said:

Having to faff with a tool to sort out something that only occurs in a single title (that I've experienced) seems ridiculous frankly.

Agreed.

• Like 1

So I jumped on the G2 bandwagon (replacing a Rift S). The clarity is... eye-popping. OTOH when using the spyglass zoom I get a rather severe crosseye effect. Tried the debug tools, but neither the symmetry options nor the swapping ones improved it. Granted I'm probably going to use zoom a lot less (not need to zoom to read gauges any more). Now I have to try it in those other sims to compare.

Ryzen 3600X - RTX 2080 - 32 GB Ram - DCS on SSD.

DCS Modules : M2K-C, F18-C, FW-190D, Huey, Gazelle, Black Shark, Mig-15, all maps.

Hello.

New DCS user over from IL2.  Was wondering if there's a fix for cross eye/double vision of the cross hairs (spit in my case)?  Everything else in the cockpit is fine, other than the gunsight.  I tried the inbuilt tool but its not helped.

I use a Reverb G1. 

Until now my reverb 1 has been fine but randomly today each eye is all over the place in DCS only. Hence I tried this tool.

It seems to me that the values generated should be the values stored int he device firmware. And they are jsut being misread by dcs. Is there a way to read those values off the firmware and just copy them into the lua?

On 7/16/2021 at 6:19 AM, Ourorborus said:

Until now my reverb 1 has been fine but randomly today each eye is all over the place in DCS only. Hence I tried this tool.

It seems to me that the values generated should be the values stored int he device firmware. And they are jsut being misread by dcs. Is there a way to read those values off the firmware and just copy them into the lua?

The cockpit/outside is fine for me, but the lit crosshairs are a nightmare.  I have to do some kind of magic-eye (remember those) style stare to get it to align into a single image.  

On 7/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, Ourorborus said:

OK so I found my problem. Reducing field of view in WMR for steam totally messed up my eye allignment!. Back to 100% field of view and a quick copy left to right in the alignment tool and better than ever!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 7:50 AM, Orb said:

Hello.

New DCS user over from IL2.  Was wondering if there's a fix for cross eye/double vision of the cross hairs (spit in my case)?  Everything else in the cockpit is fine, other than the gunsight.  I tried the inbuilt tool but its not helped.

I use a Reverb G1. 

I have experienced this as well. Fix for me was to clear the environment via the WMR settings. Then launch only WMR which will take you to the Cliff House and find that app around the corner to the right (sorry the name escapes me) but it's used to calibrate the floor height.

Once I'd run through that I was back to normal. Another option might be to delete the openvr_api.dll from the DCS /bin folder and run a repair install to replace it.

Had a similar issue with ILS several months ago and the file replace was the fix for me.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

In January I did calibrate my headset using debug tool and a DIY calibration set-up using a SLR camera which was very effective (see previous posts)

Interesting info, I just had my G2 replaced under warranty. The old values are not too bad and definitely improve, but eye strain came back nevertheless. So it seems it's not 100% transposable between headsets.

2 hours ago, dureiken said:

Hi

is that still working ? I created a autoexec.cfg in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config

with force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true

and nothing appears.

Thanks

I have false in there and can't seem to make it go away, either.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

It's never worked for me I guess.  I've always had the pop up.  Not sure if it's in the wrong spot or a permissions thing or something like that maybe.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

11 hours ago, dureiken said:

but how did you do for making the popup display ?

Good question.  I thought it was default behavior at the time.

Specs & Wishlist: