WMR DEBUG TOOL - cross eye alignment

BIGNEWY

2 hours ago, oz555 said:
I swapped top with bottom in the tool and have had no issues at all with my G2.  It felt weird straight away though without any adjustment.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl and see if there's any positive difference with mine too.

Update: Tried swap top to bottom for both eyes, niot sure it really made any difference but will have a tweak

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 11/24/2020 at 12:28 AM, BIGNEWY said:

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true to false

in your autoexec.cfg

I tried setting the value to true and false, but no changes. To run the game in vr mode I use a separate folder maybe this is the reason.

My autoexec.cfg now:

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = false

log.set_output("dcs", "", log.ALL, log.FULL)

no_device_hotplug = true

Edited by Ma5ta

• ED Team

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true 

should enable it

should disable it. 

It seems to be working for me, and your autoexec looks ok. 

have you used the tool before? if so you may have a file for your headset already in your saved games dcs folder. if you do removing it will help.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can anyone verify if this is still needed for the Reverb G2? I've played with it and there is no noticeable improvement.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 12/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true 

should enable it

should disable it. 

It seems to be working for me, and your autoexec looks ok. 

have you used the tool before? if so you may have a file for your headset already in your saved games dcs folder. if you do removing it will help.

The game does not create the <device name>.lua file

On 11/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, BIGNEWY said:

force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = true to false

in your autoexec.cfg

I cannot find autoexec.cfg in my steam install nor the original Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA0.lua (only the saved off copy I moved to another directory). Did the locations change at some point with 2.5.6?  

I'm looking in C:\Users\<User>\Saved Games\DCS\ 

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Basically, this tool allows compensating the panel alignment, by tuning the frustum for each eye in DCS. I believe the default values are retrieved by DCS from the VR API (Steam or Oculus) and have been factory calibrated.

Misalignment, which causes eye strain, can be due:

- To the factory calibration which wasn't done properly. In that case the DCS tool might be theoritically used for fixing this, but getting good values is extremely difficult without proper measurement tools. You might do more bad than good.

- To DCS swapping some values because headsets/APIs have different conventions. In that case, the swap buttons might help

I switched from a Quest, which was very comfortable, to a G2, and clearly the strain is much more present. HP might have some slight alignment issues.

After playing with the settings, I wanted to investigate a little more and do it more scientifically. So I did a quick & dirty bench, where I could translate the headset by 67mm without any rotation, and placed a fixed camera looking at the center of one eye. By translating the headset by 67mm (my IPD) the camera ends up on the other eye.

I set up the camera to take two exposures with a 15s delay inbetween and merge them in a single picture. This way I don't touch the camera between successive shots.

IMG_2482.jpg

This is the first result with default alignment:

ESC_6474.JPG

And after inverting top-bottom:

ESC_6475.JPG

The repeatability is good, you get results consistent by about the thickness of 1 hud line.

To me it seems clear that there was a vertical misalignment issue, and that inverting top-bottom fixed it.

It seems there still is a slight horizontal convergence or divergence (the hud symbols should be at infinity, and thus matching)

I will spend more time tomorrow trying to fix that convergence issue perfectly.

Edited by galinette
  • Like 4

Dear Eagle Dynamics,

My default IN values slightly below 1 and your sliders start at 1, so I can't adjust them, only by editing the LUA and restarting, thus making the process nearly impossible. Would it be possible to decrease the minimum slider value? Also, they are not super precise. Some +/- buttons for 0.001 fine tuning would be perfect.

Cheers

I have my Reverb G2 for about a week and the tip of the Autoexec.cfg did improve my vision.  I reversed Top and Bottom

So BIGNEWY - Thanks

Edited by FrankT118
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D @ 3.8 Ghz / X570 Aorus Elite  / MSI GeForce RTX 3080 / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz
HP Reverb G2

Looking at the results and especially the very nice photographed results above (galinette, excellent simple but functional setup!), it appears that at least some headsets have an issue when the top and bottom values are reported. Whether that is due to DCS or drivers or headset or some other thing, I wouldn't know for sure. However, since I detect less misalignment in other games, I'm afraid that it is DCS that might have some numbers reversed somewhere, not steamVR.

In order to not sound too harsh here, I want to say that I've encountered similar things numerous times in my work when there are just 2 options of how things may end up, front/back-up/down-left/right-mirrored/direct etc. It is very easy to confuse those and miss them in testing when dealing with optics and software.

The great thing is that DCS allows the tools where such stuff can be corrected as long as the user knows what he/she is doing. 🙂

More documentation would be appreciated 🙂

BTW, regarding galinette and his/her images, the remaining misalignment may easily be due to the mechanics imperfection of the IPD adjustment system. (The left-right misalignment I would dismiss for now, because the HUD data display is not really projected at infinity and is modelled so in DCS so there should be small left/right misalignment with infinity-aligned imaging system such as the camera setup used.)

Uxi: you can create that file in C:\Users\<your windows username here>\Saved Games\DCS\Config or equivalent on your system. It does not exist by default.

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

Followup on my DIY alignment bench (I have improved it a bit, by letting the headset still, while translating the camera, on my glass desk, with some teflon pads for easy slide, and some wood blocks with strong double sided stops for the 67mm stop).

The slight horizontal residual misalignment was, as the picture shows, about 75% of the diameter of the mirage 2000 FPM circle, in divergence.

Divergence is quite bad, so I shifted slightly in/out symmetrically for right and left eyes, until I get repeatable results. We will see if I get less eye strain like this.

I had to increase L_OUT and R_OUT by 0.005 and decrease L_IN and R_IN by 0.005. However, I'm afraid these values are very headset dependent.

Little tip for fine tuning : by resizing the debug tool window horizontally, you have much larger sliders, and can reach 0.001 adjustment steps, which was about the size of a HUD line in my tests. However, there is still a problem with the debug tool for values below 1.0 like the G2 has. For adjusting these, you need to edit the lua file and restart.

Edited by galinette

I've got problem with VR SPYGLASS.

I've assigned VR Spyglass to a button, and looked at the truck at the airfield while zoom.

I see two images. So I grab slider, adjust to have normal image. I barely understand what slider does, but at some point again, I feel that I see right.
Unzoom

I can see double everything right now in non-VR SPYGLASS mode.

QUESTION:
Is it possible to set this up that every zoom level works properly?
This is what happens to me. Reverb g2 user, didn't happen to me on my old Rift S

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

I created autoexec.cfg in C:\Users\Uxi\Saved Games\DCS\Config and put in:

Still appears, though.  For that matter, if it wasn't there with a true, why was it appearing at all? 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I noticed the default settings in the tool are different for L and R eye. Why would this be?

I calibrated for the Left eye and then swapped Bottom and Top on both eyes. Vision seems much better and strains my eyes less without a doubt.

But why is the initial setting different for the L vs the R eye?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

yep for me it was just the right eye, swapped top and bottom and i can now read FPSVR at the same time as fly 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 12/24/2020 at 3:33 PM, Yskonyn said:

I noticed the default settings in the tool are different for L and R eye. Why would this be?

I calibrated for the Left eye and then swapped Bottom and Top on both eyes. Vision seems much better and strains my eyes less without a doubt.

But why is the initial setting different for the L vs the R eye?

The values are pulled from "somewhere" where they have been written at the factory when the headset was calibrated. The values vary from one individual unit to another, because the mechanical panel placement is not as accurate as needed in this application. Most likely the left-right values are calibrated ok at the factory and the values should need minimal adjustment if the headset is ok. The up-down values seem to have a bug regarding the sign convention somewhere. In some headsets the calibration values are symmetrical enough so that it does not matter.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

Thanks for the input. I also noticed a lot more eyestrain in MSFS in comparison to the calibrated settings in DCS.

Seems like there is work to be done in the software of the headset and values get transmitted incorrectly.

Weird thing is that Elite is super sharp and no eye strain out of the box.

Edited by Yskonyn

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

For me what is strange is how the visor behaves on DCS because the alignment is totally perfect in the WMR and SteamVR environments, so for sure it might be related on how the calibration information is passed to other software. I hope it will be solved soon, for me at least swapping top and bottom values on the debug tool makes the game totally playable, not perfect as it was my old Rift S.

2 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

For me what is strange is how the visor behaves on DCS because the alignment is totally perfect in the WMR and SteamVR environments, so for sure it might be related on how the calibration information is passed to other software. I hope it will be solved soon, for me at least swapping top and bottom values on the debug tool makes the game totally playable, not perfect as it was my old Rift S.

No, the alignment is wrong in FS2020 which has direct WMR support.

What I believe, is that other environment make you look at infinity less often, and some divergence strain is compensated by looking to closer objects. In flight sims, you are most of the time looking at infinity for long periods, and slight image divergence causes high strain.

This is well known in the stereo/VR industry, having objects at infinity is avoided whenever possible as it's super incomfortable with not perfectly aligned hardware.

Any word from devs on allowing the inner values to be set < 1? I played with the tool but failed to make things any better. My G2 came calibrated with inner values at 0.9XX.. and I feel like I would want them even lower. I play with helmet IPD at max and DCS IPD at 45 for realistic worldscale, but see some parallax when looking around. I can't tell for sure if I my helmet can be calibrated better, but would like to test more.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the tool. Making it symmetric and then swapping up down made it better. But not 100%. Still have a weird feeling, but just not as bad.

How come DCS have a problem with "alignment" when other games do not? Why should I as a customer be having to fiddle with this? Please fix it ED.

Also, if anyone have managed to get a 100% feel good alignment for the G2, please post the settings file.

• Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick