WMR DEBUG TOOL - cross eye alignment

BIGNEWY

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 2:28 AM, Kercheiz said:

Hi everyone,

In January I did calibrate my headset using debug tool and a DIY calibration set-up using a SLR camera which was very effective (see previous posts)

Interesting info, I just had my G2 replaced under warranty. The old values are not too bad and definitely improve, but eye strain came back nevertheless. So it seems it's not 100% transposable between headsets.

I think I am going to have to contact HP support and demand my G2 is recalibrated or replaced, as I have the same problem. I mainly got it for flying and racing sims, and NONE of them are usable - the cockpits look fantastic, but anything farther away in VR space than about 20-50 feet is double vision. Sure, I can probably make DCS better with the WMR Debug tool, but I should not have to do that.

14 minutes ago, scubaboy said:

I think I am going to have to contact HP support and demand my G2 is recalibrated or replaced, as I have the same problem. I mainly got it for flying and racing sims, and NONE of them are usable - the cockpits look fantastic, but anything farther away in VR space than about 20-50 feet is double vision. Sure, I can probably make DCS better with the WMR Debug tool, but I should not have to do that.

You are absolutely right... But so far it seems this is a base problem in all G2 headsets.

I'm not sure that replacement will fix it, that they can recalibrate, and even acknowledge the issue. I use my headset for DCS only, so it's ok after home made calibration. FS2020 is terrible. So to anyone needing a headset for any other game than DCS I would unfortunately recommend the new Vive Pro

On 10/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, Kercheiz said:

You are absolutely right... But so far it seems this is a base problem in all G2 headsets.

I'm not sure that replacement will fix it, that they can recalibrate, and even acknowledge the issue. I use my headset for DCS only, so it's ok after home made calibration. FS2020 is terrible. So to anyone needing a headset for any other game than DCS I would unfortunately recommend the new Vive Pro

Using the WMR Debug tool, I confirmed what I suspected - the factory cal of my G2 is making my eyes need to point outward "Marty Feldman style" when looking at the horizon. All I had to do was slightly tweak the in/out values of each eye to bring the images together while looking at the horizon in-sim. Flew an hour mission in the Huey over Guam, and had absolutely no eyestrain. I found out on the MSFS forum that there are secret keys that can be added to the Windows registry to adjust the color convergence calibration of the G2 - so I wonder if there are also keys that could be added to override the "projection" cal values. I asked there - if there are any more keys, "CptLucky8" on the MSFS forum hopefully might know, he was given the secret keys by an HP employee to fix his color convergence issue.

Edited by scubaboy

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, vladimusmaximus said:

Hmm, I have a G2 I got recently and haven't noticed any major issues; although my eyes def get some strain playing DCS (unlike other games) so maybe im missing something. I do have a Quest 2 as well which I'll try.

I'm in a similar position, noticed that my left eye particularly was feeling off after an hour or so in dcs, the same in elite is not an issue but figured it was to do with focal distances etc. VR zoom did cause slight cross eye and splyglass caused massive crosseye unless looking a good distance away.

Ran the tool and they were out slightly (nothing compared to some of the responses in here) but it was obviously enough to cause strain.  Made the eyes symetrical and flipped the right one and it's much better now 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Okay, so I was using the old cable for my Reverb G2, no major problems that could not be attributed to me being computer-stupid. Then I got the new cable and things seemed to go wonky. 

Even when just starting up, it "looks" like the right eye monitor has slid over halfway to the left eye side. Then, even if it did appear to be working properly, in the DCS menu screen (in the hanger) the picture would move with my head, like it was constantly trying to recenter itself. Lot of flickering and such. Also, on my monitor, where you would usually see what the headset was seeing, there were TWO distorted images side by side. 

Any ideas? Is this related to this cross eyed thing?

Try the old cable again. If no issue you may have a bad new cable. Would be odd but not impossible.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Okay so the first time I ran with the command in the autoexec.cfg it worked, but now on subsequent runs it does not pop-up and my eyes are hurting again 😕

I have tried removing the cfg file, false... restarting the game again and again and again. Nothing. Will not come up after the first time and clearly something is off because my eye sare very sore.

Edited by vladimusmaximus

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RogueRunner said:

I do not get this tool to popup using a Oculus Quest 2 with airlink. autoexec.cfg is in the ../Config/ directory.

I think this issue only affects wmr headsets, particularly the G2 add it doesn't seem to be reporting it's factory display calibration to DCS specifically. I could be wrong of course 😄

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

• 1 month later...

I believe each headset is different, I think it's to do with DCS not reading in the factory calibration settings for the headset it something along those lines.

The values should be the offsets from centre to move the rendered display I think.

• 2 weeks later...

For any Varjo Aero headset owner as of the date of this entry that has horrible distortion / warping in DCS (menus and in sim) with their Aero headset, please try switching the right and left eyes from "Top to BTM" in the Degug Tool as described in the original post at the top of this thread (no other changes were needed for me). This simple tweak solved the distortion issue for me and my Aero with DCS went from being ready to throw in the trash to working normally.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wildman21265 said:

For any Varjo Aero headset owner as of the date of this entry that has horrible distortion / warping in DCS (menus and in sim) with their Aero headset, please try switching the right and left eyes from "Top to BTM" in the Degug Tool as described in the original post at the top of this thread (no other changes were needed for me). This simple tweak solved the distortion issue for me and my Aero with DCS went from being ready to throw in the trash to working normally.

I would suggest to any Varjo owner that you hop on the "Varjo Gamers Club" Discord, there is a DCS section among many others... https://discord.gg/

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Yes I know, that was my point.

IL2 is a smaller studio and it was addressed in a few weeks.  So my question was if DCS had a unique or compelling reason they could not do the same here with a larger studio and over a year of time.  

Debug tools are really cool and all, but I'm pretty sure it isn't ideal from a  new users standpoint that don't troll the forums to find this. 

I was looking for "Can't be done yet because X but some dev said that a cool new fix was in the works".  

Varjo indicated they were aware of the issue but I didn't know who said that.