[NO BUG]AGM-65F with TGP

Specter

When trying to use the TGP to target the AGM-65F I have noticed that the FLIR/FOV switch only controls the AGM FOV even if the TGP is the SOI. Is this a bug?

I had a mixed load out of 2xAGM65Fs and GBU 38s. When the 38's were selected the FLIR/FOV Switch worked correctly but with the AGM selected it behaved as mentioned above.

Note I tried to upload the track file from this very short flight but it exceeds your 5mb limit!

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

It's not a bug, the Maverick takes priority of the FLIR FOV button, even if the TGP is SOI.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Quick answer thanks.

Is it realistic though? I ask as a military Avionics Tech who hasn't worked on US equipment since the F4.

Seems very limiting in functionality to me.

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

It's not a bug, the Maverick takes priority of the FLIR FOV button, even if the TGP is SOI.

I thought that ED were looking into this behaviour as per a previous thread on this.

Don't think we've seen whether this behaviour is in real life or not. I sincerely hope not, as it is a real pain having to go hands off and use the mouse to click on TGP FOV.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

The information we have say's this is the correct behaviour for our hornet.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't know if it's correct to IRL, I don't have first hand experience, but this is what I've gathered by talking with other people about it. The idea is that it allows the pilot to fire the MAV-F without having to ever switch TDC priority away from the FLIR page. You can still manipulate the TGP's zoom via the throttle wheel.

1) Locate target with TGP and designate it. Hand-off occurs and the missile's seeker automatically uncages and points towards the designated point, attempting to lock whatever is there.

2) Hit FLIR FOV and the missile will zoom in. That's useful because the missile has a much more limited zoom than the TGP and zooming in is almost always needed, if you're employing from longer ranges. You're probably too far away to lock onto anything at this stage. Zooming in helps to visually confirm the target.

3) Fire once the missile is solidly locked on the target. That last part is a little buggy in DCS right now, but I think it'll be fixed.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The information we have say's this is the correct behaviour for our hornet.

thanks

Even when the MAV is deselected afterwards? Because sometimes that also happens. Unless this post meant only when MAV is also selected.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

RAID/FLIR FOV switch not functional with AGM-65E LASER mavericks equipped

I understand that with the AGM-65F TV mavs on board, the FLIR FOV switch toggles the maverick sensor FOV rather than the TGP FOV.

The bug is however that with LASER mavericks equipped, the RAID/FOV FLIR switch does not toggle the FOV of the TGP.

I assume the way it is coded is there is a check whether mavericks are on board and if true, the RAID/FOV FLIR switch will not toggle the FOV of the pod. Perhaps this could be fixed by seeing if its possible to specify that it has to be specifically AGM-65Fs for the condition to be true rather than any kind of maverick.

I don't think that this is correct as is because I don't think there is any kind of FOV option on the laser mavericks so the RAID/FOV FLIR switch should still work with the pod as normal.

• ED Team

but is it supposed to behave that way even when the ir mav screen isnt displayed? and when laser maverick screen is displayed?

because it does right now and its extremely annoying (on top of being completely nonsensical)

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

but is it supposed to behave that way even when the ir mav screen isnt displayed? and when laser maverick screen is displayed?

because it does right now and its extremely annoying (on top of being completely nonsensical)

Did you read any of the threads cofcorpse pointed you to? They are specifically related to the E and specifically state that it's correct behaviour for the E according to the info ED currently has. If you have info that says it's not correct, let them know.

Just because you find it "extremely annoying (on top of being completely nonsensical)" does not mean it's wrong or needs to be changed. I have no doubt ED probably has some things wrong despite their best efforts, but the number of people lately complaining that things should be changed because "I feel like it's wrong" or "it doesn't make sense for it to be that way" with no evidence it's wrong is getting old fast. If it's wrong, point to concrete evidence to the fact that it's wrong.

Did you read any of the threads cofcorpse pointed you to? They are specifically related to the E and specifically state that it's correct behaviour for the E according to the info ED currently has. If you have info that says it's not correct, let them know.

Just because you find it "extremely annoying (on top of being completely nonsensical)" does not mean it's wrong or needs to be changed. I have no doubt ED probably has some things wrong despite their best efforts, but the number of people lately complaining that things should be changed because "I feel like it's wrong" or "it doesn't make sense for it to be that way" with no evidence it's wrong is getting old fast. If it's wrong, point to concrete evidence to the fact that it's wrong.

okay you are right about that one, but did you read my first point? none of those threads explicitely talk about "even when mav page is not shown". one of BN's answers even goes out of its way to add "in DDI" (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4060461&postcount=2)

if you are gonna be so smug, you could have answered that one. its just a question bro..

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

I went through the mentioned threads, but I might have missed it: what function does the FLIR/FOV switch perform with an MAVE?

What Harker said, makes some sense to me:

2) Hit FLIR FOV and the missile will zoom in. That's useful because the missile has a much more limited zoom than the TGP and zooming in is almost always needed, if you're employing from longer ranges. You're probably too far away to lock onto anything at this stage. Zooming in helps to visually confirm the target.
but does not apply to MAVEs, as there is no FLIR and afaik no FOV (maybe search pattern/volume?) that could be changed?

The RAID/FOV switch does not perform an actual function with the Laser Mav selected. It's just a quirk with the OFP; if a Mav (of either type) or HARM is selected, they take priority control of the switch. ED has stated on numerous occasions that their documentation does not specify that the switch behaves differently between the Laser Mav and the IR Mav.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

okay you are right about that one, but did you read my first point? none of those threads explicitely talk about "even when mav page is not shown". one of BN's answers even goes out of its way to add "in DDI" (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4060461&postcount=2)

if you are gonna be so smug, you could have answered that one. its just a question bro..

You're correct, I missed the "even when mav page is not shown". The functionality is IF MAV is SELECTED (and you can have the MAV selected (boxed) without showing the page) it gets FOV priority (I presume this is what BN was referring to as "in DDI"). If you DON'T have MAV boxed (not "active") even though it's loaded on the aircraft, then the RAID/FOV switch works normally for the TPOD. In theory it's likely a lot easier to monitor for MAV selected or not (real life and in sim) than worrying about which MAV page is up.

• 2 years later...

As per title.

Happened to stumble upon this when flying in multiplayer.

Had a Lighting TGP and Maverick E (laser) equiped and could not use the zoom function on the TGP with the RAID/FLIR FOV button . TGP was on right DDI and so was the SCS indicated by the asterisk on the right.

When i fired all of my Mavericks, i could use the zoom again with the RAID/FLIR FOV button 

Was a MP flight, so track was too large to upload

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Was able to reproduce in SP.

As soon as all Mavericks are gone, i can use the RAID/FLIR FOV switch again

Zoomnotworking.trk Zoomnotworking2.trk

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat