First impressions of the Viper EA

Ratfink

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I'm not so sure about that. We have a lot of excellent FM charts/data on the Viper and they all match very, very well. We've also have had multiple F-16 pilots fly our Viper and they felt it be quite accurate. If there is a specific area of the FM that you can point to with evidence of it being off, that would certainly be useful. Such generalizations are not very helpful I'm afraid.

Thanks

Viper is being outrated by the F-18 and the F-14 at the moment (which it certainly would not be in real life). If you want it I can produce as many trackfiles as you like which prove that. Maybe the F-16s flight model is spot on. If that is the case the F-18 and the F-14 are in a desperate need for a FM rework. Also the drag feels like it is way too small (as in the F-18 ). Im sure in real life a 9G 550kts IAS turn on the deck would slow down the plane a lot more than it currently does.

• ED Team
I did not take the cockpit yet, but it has only 2 Training Missions, Cold Start and Take Off.

I expected at least F-14 first release quality.

Very disappointed.

Hi Nansaram, sorry to hear that you feel so disappointed. As an early access product, there is a lot of room as to when a product gets released. Some may do it rather early on whereas other may wish to do it later. For this product, we decided to lean more toward the early side. While most are very happy to get their hands on it early, there will also be those that want a more complete product. We tried to be very open about what would be included in the early access through all the videos, mini-updates, and other communications. Again, we are sorry that you feel so displeased but we thank you for your support.

Thanks

Thx for the early release! Back in the Viper and feeling good so far

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

Been flying a falcon since 1998, went through it all with the others through the years and it's been alot of fun.

That said....this feels more real I guess as far as the flight model goes. It makes more sense or at least it's more believable I guess? It's hard to explain. I understand this is an early access but as far as weapons, IFF, radio, and radar systems go, it's a little lacking for launch IMO. Launching an F-16 C without A-G radar or mavs is like launching the A-10 without...mavs. Kinda feel like I got a prototype here.

I dont regret buying it at all. It was inevitable cause it's my favorite plane, and for the next many time I wanna fly an F16 I'm launching dcs.

Alot of work needs to be done. It's a fantastic start...I just hope progress is really made on this one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loving it so far. Only thing is that Im having difficulty reading the MFDs even when they are turned all the way up. The white seems too dim and not enough contrast. Other than that Im really looking forward to the continued progress making my favorite jet even better. :thumbup:

GTX 1080ti FTW3, Intel I7 9700k 5.0Ghz Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370, Rift S

Feels good. A/A is fun. Vr pit is good mostly. Online would be way better if i cound enter waypoints somehow and actually use the tgp.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Loving it so far. Only thing is that Im having difficulty reading the MFDs even when they are turned all the way up. The white seems too dim and not enough contrast. Other than that Im really looking forward to the continued progress making my favorite jet even better. :thumbup:

Rhis happens with the HSD page IME.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I am really enjoying the jet, it flies great! One concern, does anyone else feel that the roll rate is a little low, especially at 400 knots? Full deflection and it takes a while to 360deg roll.

Try setting stores config to CAT I, see if that makes a difference.

run come save me

Can’t believe people are criticising ED and Wags in particular as soon as the module is released. Look at the quality of scenery we are flying these simulated aircraft in. Who remembers flying in 2 dimensional line drawn simulators and having a blast getting a taste of what the real thing is like. Falcon 3 then falcon 4 took up months of my life and gave me great pleasure. Then along comes DCS and the A10c my god what a transition then the new graphics model gets released. Getting my real world pilots licence was partly due to endless circuits over Bantumi in an A10 not a Cessna 172.it was the real world feel I was getting from a simulator and not paying £200 an hour for the privilege. I’m over the moon I can get my teeth into an F16 which will fly in the DCS world today when I download my pre release copy. Give the guys a break folks, they’ve surpassed themselves getting this module released in the time they’ve had, just like the Hornet is coming along it will only get better. Forget about missions and weapon systems just now let’s just go flying and practising take offs and touch and go landings. I’m a happy customer ED and thanks Wags for the countless academic and enjoyable videos.

Been flying a falcon since 1998, went through it all with the others through the years and it's been alot of fun.

That said....this feels more real I guess as far as the flight model goes. It makes more sense or at least it's more believable I guess? It's hard to explain. I understand this is an early access but as far as weapons, IFF, radio, and radar systems go, it's a little lacking for launch IMO. Launching an F-16 C without A-G radar or mavs is like launching the A-10 without...mavs. Kinda feel like I got a prototype here.

I dont regret buying it at all. It was inevitable cause it's my favorite plane, and for the next many time I wanna fly an F16 I'm launching dcs.

Alot of work needs to be done. It's a fantastic start...I just hope progress is really made on this one.

Well, considering even the F18 doesn't have a/g radar... You're going to wait a while my friend. lol

It's a flayable, partially working plane. Get some basic procedures in and have fun with it. Then get back to whatever you were flying. each update to f16, come check it out.

Can’t believe people are criticising ED and Wags in particular as soon as the module is released. Look at the quality of scenery we are flying these simulated aircraft in. Who remembers flying in 2 dimensional line drawn simulators and having a blast getting a taste of what the real thing is like. Falcon 3 then falcon 4 took up months of my life and gave me great pleasure. Then along comes DCS and the A10c my god what a transition then the new graphics model gets released. Getting my real world pilots licence was partly due to endless circuits over Bantumi in an A10 not a Cessna 172.it was the real world feel I was getting from a simulator and not paying £200 an hour for the privilege. I’m over the moon I can get my teeth into an F16 which will fly in the DCS world today when I download my pre release copy. Give the guys a break folks, they’ve surpassed themselves getting this module released in the time they’ve had, just like the Hornet is coming along it will only get better. Forget about missions and weapon systems just now let’s just go flying and practising take offs and touch and go landings. I’m a happy customer ED and thanks Wags for the countless academic and enjoyable videos.

+1

Well said; my thoughts exactly.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

From first minute in the cockpit im in love. Even in this early release Viper looks and sounds very good. Graphics of cockpit is superb. Sounds from inside the cabin are also very good. So far im very happy with my new toy. Great release ED. Thanks for your work.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Pros:

- Fuel consumption is very good

- Incredible maneuverability. Make turns that Hornet can only dream of.

Cons:

- Where is the speed (engine power) ? Very disappointed. Hornet fly faster.

- Bubble canopy is very confusing

- Radar is mediocre

Conclusion:

- Need a lot of 'get used to'

If it's true that the FM's of these birds are purposefully fudged in order to "keep the real pilots safe", well then for me it defeats the purpose of the sim as a whole, and right now I'm just hoping it really isn't the case.

I’m not viper expert but I know ITAR and DDTC, it may be in some cases that they need to tweak certain things (much better to have a cooperative relationship), but the Viper DM is open source. It’s been published and peer reviewed, from NASA studies on flutter to more recent. It’s probably one of the only jets where they have exact thrust curves for multiple altitudes. I don’t ever say never in my business but of all the things they have to dumb down a bit, hard to imagine they missed the FM that badly.

I’ve got accurate performance numbers and a guy I fly with is an ex viper driver who’s already looking forward to trying it out after I’ve been telling him about VR, R3 lightning and the fun we have when some of our mutual friends get a couple sections together. What, exactly, is it that you think they missed? I’m sure he will have an opinion, seems to on most things

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

+1

Well said; my thoughts exactly.

+1 for me too. I can tell when it's finished it's going to be a mp killing machine ha ha. Been doing some A2G with rockets in my own modified Through the Inferno mission. Damn fun running rockets in this thing!! Great job ED.... Yeah it's not finished but we knew we were buying early. I look forward to the updates!! :thumbup:

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS