Stick Deadzone

Not sure if this is a glitch, the way the aircraft is in real life, or a quirk of the FBW but the stick seems to have a pretty large deadzone which makes lining up shots, formation flying, and A2A refueling especially maddening.

Checked with the Right Ctrl + Enter, my stick is detecting even the most minute movements. However aircraft just doesn't respond to tiny deflections.

• ED Team

Hi,

Sorry, I'm not unable to reproduce this. The stick in the F-16 is based on the force applied and this is best realized when using a force stick like the Realsimulator FSSB. Whe then have to translate the force level to a throw distance level for traditional sticks to match.

A stick with a highler level of precision might help you.

Thanks

Watch this track, ensure that the CTRL + Enter is on (track has me turn it on) and you can see me get almost a full diamond of stick out of the cross with no movement in aircraft.

Friend who has Virpil also has the same issue

EDIT: modifying curves fixes the issue; problem being IRL viper has short stick and I'm flying with a long extension. Curve of -45 feels good for me, friend like -30. Now she flies with light touch like the hornet. Thanks wags!

StickDeflection.trk

Edited by Shein
more info

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure if this is a glitch, the way the aircraft is in real life, or a quirk of the FBW but the stick seems to have a pretty large deadzone which makes lining up shots, formation flying, and A2A refueling especially maddening.

Checked with the Right Ctrl + Enter, my stick is detecting even the most minute movements. However aircraft just doesn't respond to tiny deflections.

Agree. It feels very sluggish. I read Wag's comment below, and I'll try up the sensitivity as I hope they're not expecting us to spend a thousand dollars in hardware to play a 67 dollar DLC.

Anyway thanks ED, it's great and I know it'll just be better as you finish it.

I'm having a lot of fun here in Norway 04:46 in the morning, won't see the bed for a couple of days that's for sure!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Specifically for the Viper I use a side-mounted VKB Gunfighter MK.II w/ SCG grip - see photo. I've added a #50 spring for pitch, and a #40 spring for roll, and that gives me the heaviness for how I interpret the Viper's stick to feel - short of a force-sensing base. I don't seem to experience any deadzone issue, as the FBW PFM feels snappy enough to me.

VRKMb0T.png

I also have a center-mounted Gunfighter w/ MCG grip and stick extension, but I don't even think of using it for the Viper, as only a short throw stick would feel right with this module.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Specifically for the Viper I use a side-mounted VKB Gunfighter MK.II w/ SCG grip - see photo. I've added a #50 spring for pitch, and a #40 spring for roll, and that gives me the heaviness for how I interpret the Viper's stick to feel - short of a force-sensing base. I don't seem to experience any deadzone issue, as the FBW PFM feels snappy enough to me.

VRKMb0T.png

I also have a center-mounted Gunfighter w/ MCG grip and stick extension, but I don't even think of using it for the Viper, as only a short throw stick would feel right with this module.

Nah. Deadzone is wrong expression. I've got a fiddle around some more. It's the settings for sure. One 360 roll is 5 seconds.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Sorry, I'm not unable to reproduce this. The stick in the F-16 is based on the force applied and this is best realized when using a force stick like the Realsimulator FSSB. Whe then have to translate the force level to a throw distance level for traditional sticks to match.

Thanks

I've only just read this reply but it seems a very poorly considered one when the OP claimed the jet simply did not respond to actual input from stick. That sounds less like a lack stick sensitivity and more like lack of detection by code sensitivity.

Yes and as others said spending mega bucks just to have reasonable control is bonkers.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

• 2 weeks later...

It's force in both cases

Hi,

Thanks

The F16 stick has force transducers working against a sprung stick with a small displacement (the initial idea of force only stick didn't work for the pilots). So the signal to the FLCS in pitch/roll is a decoded amplitude of the force level.

The displacement stick has movement transducers working with a sprung stick with a larger displacement. The signal to the FLCS in pitch/roll is a decoded amplitude of the force level against the displacement springs.

In both cases the input to the FLCS is how much force the pilot applies, ie no difference. The difference is in the slope of force versus amplitude of the signal (derivative force/digits to FLCS). Presicion doesn't come into the equation. The gain in the force vs digits to FLCS does (it's all about this derivative).

The bottom line is an FFSB has a higher derivative than a displacement stick, no other difference in this case.

ED decodes what stick the player is using. As the gain: "force vs exported amplitude" is not exposed (other than by making a custom curve or playing with the value for X saturation. The curve parameter does not set a linear gain change) it would be for ED to set this gain dependent of a used stick, to mimic an F16 stick as a base setting. Then the player can fine-tune with the "tune axis" as he likes.

Edited by Bear21

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

I fly with an FSSB R3 and it feels great out of the box. When I’ve flown it using a normal stick I have used a little negative curve to make it a bit more sensitive around centre, but it still flies ok.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Fiddle with the X saturation

So are traditional sticks like the Warthog not compatible or at the least, not ideal for use with the F-16 then?

It should be fine, just put the Saturation X at 60 to 70 for roll and pitch in Axis and you will have a responsive Viper. This is a more general fix for the difference in axis gain for FFSB and displacement stick than changing the Curvature (this you can still change to fine-tune around zero stick later).

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

It should be fine, just put the Saturation X at 60 to 70 for roll and pitch in Axis and you will have a responsive Viper. This is a more general fix for the difference in axis gain for FFSB and displacement stick than changing the Curvature (this you can still change to fine-tune around zero stick later).

I not sure why you'd want to adjust the saturation, using negative curve allows you to have more responsive controls but while still using all the available IRL stick movement. Using your method you're basically throwing away a bunch of your available stick movement.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I not sure why you'd want to adjust the saturation, using negative curve allows you to have more responsive controls but while still using all the available IRL stick movement. Using your method you're basically throwing away a bunch of your available stick movement.

That is the point. You are getting your displacement stick to give more Y deflection (pitch or roll amplitude to the FLCS) per unit X (force), ie you are increasing the gain of the pitch and roll axis just like an FSSB does. And there is only 100% Y to be had, hence you have to reach it earlier, otherwise you haven't got a higher axis gain.

But everyone to his liking, use X Saturation or Curvature or both. X saturation is taking your stick closer to an F16 stick in behavior, negative Curvature gives you the high gain around zero but less at the end. Both methods give you 100% Y = full rudder authority, the former with a shorter throw, the second with a longer throw with a non-linear curve giving you an F16 gain at the start of the throw and a lower gain at the end. Both are better than the base setting.

Fair enough. It would feel very odd to me for the aircraft to be at maximum deflection and for me to still have remaining IRL stick movment. The stick forces are so low on displacement sticks that I prefer negative curve so I just get a more linear response from the aircraft throughout all of my available IRL stick movement.

But each to their own.

Proud owner of:

Delete deadzone in Virpil manager as well

To the above we can add Virpil gimbal users shall put the pitch and roll axis deadzone to zero (factory setting is 2 units) to get an immediate response from the aircraft.

It doesn't affect the pitch and roll behavior (like a jerky neutral stick), the windows output is stable despite bit flicking of the physical axis sensors.