F-16 MFD Readability

USA_Recon

• 4 weeks later...

Not a permanent solution because I also think the MFD screen's are too small and difficult to read on the F-16.  I hope this is addressed in a future patch.

But, if you own a tablet, try this:

The app that ihopi developed works well, and helps with the MFD problem in the Viper.

Image36.jpg

The brightess could definitely still have a few more clicks of range to be brighter.   Agree with others here that at full brightness, it's not enough in VR.

This mod makes them very much more bright, and is IC compliant.  Unfortunately it stops the brightness and contast rockers working, as well as the HSI brightness adjustment, which is problem in changing light condtions.  I think it might cause issues with the HSD rings becoming unreadable in certain sun angles, but I think the base MFDs might have that as well, only harder to notice as the brightness is so low.

Worth trying with a mod manager.

F-16C Readable MFDs.rar

Edited by Majik
  • Like 2

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

On 7/3/2021 at 9:56 PM, Majik said:

The brightess could definitely still have a few more clicks of range to be brighter.

And there is the huge brightness difference when you export the MFD's to a second (identical) monitor.  It's equally annoying

• Like 3

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

On 6/10/2021 at 7:36 PM, Cupra said:

After watching this video:

I sillt think that the MFD screens in DCS are much too small and hard to read. Must not be for all people, but a option to change the font size would be more than nice.

Same here. Sat in dozens of Viper cockpits and the MFD's are far better to read (and seem bigger) than in DCS. Based on my own experience, i think you're sitting to far back in the seat in DCS, due to the incline seat modeling. In RL, the UFC is almost in you face and i really dont have that feeling in DCS. It's just to far away 

Edited by Falconeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Even in Wags JSOW video from he begging the MFD' line position -HSD Rings are not viewable

In RL both MFD's can read them good enough and under specific light  conditions need the pilot to bright them in order  to read properly the symbols 

i think ED must fix that permanently 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 7:26 AM, Falconeer said:

Same here. Sat in dozens of Viper cockpits and the MFD's are far better to read (and seem bigger) than in DCS. Based on my own experience, i think you're sitting to far back in the seat in DCS, due to the incline seat modeling. In RL, the UFC is almost in you face and i really dont have that feeling in DCS. It's just to far away 

To me, the DCS Viper feels like a RL Eagle pit, open and spacious. The real Viper pit like you have experienced isn't portrayed very well here. 

Oh and to remain on topic, yeah the MFDs also seem small, and no where near as bright as they should be.

Edited by =Panther=
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

32 minutes ago, =Panther= said:

To me, the DCS Viper feels like a RL Eagle pit, open and spacious. The real Viper pit like you have experienced isn't portrayed very well here. 

Oh and to remain on topic, yeah the MFDs also seem small, and no where near as bright as they should be.

I've never been in the Eagle cockpit, but this just doesn't feel like a true (cramped) Viper cockpit

Edited by Falconeer
  • Like 1

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Maybe a "quick" workaround for ED in order to improve the MFDs readibility could be some sort of "boosting" the brightness / contrast of Viper's MFDs.

I also noticed that the MFDs brightness changes a lot with different day/morning/evening light and clear sky/cloud sky situation...that's a problem.

Expecially for people like me piloting the Viper in VR (Oculus Rift S)

Thanks!

• Like 1

The raster effect might be realistic, but It makes the TGP almost impossible to read due to moiré, which does not happen in real life. That effect should not be implemented directly on the display texture until our desktop displays and HMDs have enough spatial resolution to represent it properly (and until the DCS engine can run at such high resolutions with an acceptable frame rate 🙄).

A screenspace shader might produce an acceptable image quality in the meantime.

• Like 3

Some love for the f16s mfds is the thing I long for most in DCS right now.

Reverb G2 at 100% ss and they just give me eye strain trying to decipher what is on them.

I find it a real shame, I don’t mind missing features/weapons through early access as 1) I know what I signed up for, and 2) there is plenty to learn already. It’s been happy times all the time with the f18 for me personally.

But because I can barley make out what’s on the mfds in the viper and in the process make my eyes want to fall out I can’t really do much but practice landings and aar.
I have tried various mods but none seem to help.

So I’m back in the Hornet. I live in hope that it will get some attention in the not too distant future, in fact I check the viper mini updates daily now in the hope that it’ll soon be remedied.

we love you ED, please hear our cry

I’m Editing this to add what I struggle with the most to make it a bit clearer (cough;) for the devs.

FCR particularly contact altitude.

HSD as above but also contacts in general.

TGP 

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, I think it (along with line thickness) is significantly impacting the MFD readability for me and I'd like to edit/remove it if possible.

Anyone know if this is in the materials def lua or where it would be? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I'd like to get rid of the simulated black space between the "pixels".

LZqRI4v.png

EDIT: STOP COMBINING EVERYTHING THAT'S TANGENTIALLY RELATED INTO THIS TOPIC GOOD LORD.

Edited by FoxTwo

On 7/21/2021 at 6:18 PM, NineLine said:

We have several adjustments planned that we hope to include in August., thanks!

I see sizes seems to be have been increased in the latest patch but its just as dim. Hope there will be more to come real soon

• Like 2

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

17 minutes ago, trigen said:

I see sizes seems to be have been increased in the latest patch but its just as dim. Hope there will be more to come real soon

Yeah I can't say I'm seeing an improvement.

I dialed up the stroke thickness and that helps some.

Getting rid of the LCD screendoor effect would probably help a bit as well. But overall the luminance of the display is the problem.

• Like 1

Yeah its very noticeable on exported MFD. Its quite big and I like it. Thank you ED

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

It's obvious that the problem with the brightness of the MFDs is a function of camera distance.

The further away the camera is from the display, the darker it gets, to the point that at a normal head height distance (VR) you are so far away that they are incredibly dim. Some sort of light falloff calculation bug?

You can simulate this effect in 2D by slowly zooming the camera out a click at a time until the MFDs are effectively just empty black screens, and it's honestly not that far back.

Something that might seem "perfectly bright enough" at the "normal" camera distance in 2D becomes a source of dim frustration at a natural head position distance in VR.

Edited by FoxTwo
  • Like 1

Brightness really seems to be the main problem now, though I also don’t like the “pixel” effect. Is the brightness something that can be tinkered with through modding? It seems so simple a problem to fix and so glaringly obvious, but then what do I know.

There have been other mods for mfd readability so perhaps if one could easily just up the brightness it would have already happened or we’d have a mod. 

I reckon ED must be super busy right now, because there’s a couple of things wrong in the game at the moment that seem wouldn’t take long to fix. The other thing is AI F18s failing to make it off the carrier due to weight.