TM Cougar ANT ELEV Knob

Hey, has anyone gotten the antena elevation knob on the Cougar to work right? If so, can someone please post here what was done to make it work. My antena elevation is all over the place. It doesn’t stay where I set it to. I looked at the known bugs tracking section, but didn’t see it there. Thanks!

Ray

The numbers fluctuate all over the place around the TDC cursor, as it is stationary, and I move the antena knob. I can also see the indicator on the left side of the MFD going up/down un-commanded; while the knob is stationary. How did you set it up? I’m trying to determine, if is hardware, setup, a bug, or user error. Thanks.

Ray

It's not instant movement as we are used too from any other module in DCS. Once you move the axis give it a second

It's a bit lazy, like the afterburner..

It's probably a bug, but only a Driver will know

Same problem. I have a thread on it, no solution thus far other than to be super dainty with the cougar. I'm using a TSUBA with mine, maybe thats a point to consider too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have it set to a hat switch on my HOTAS, so this looks to a problem with the axis commands.

I wouldn't be surprised if its cougar/cougar+tsuba specific either.

Oddly enough the "range" knob works fine for zooming the TPOD.

My Cougar is basically New Old Stock, and tracks very nicely in the windows game tool.

I just want to either turn down the sensitivity, or better yet, have the Detent be center ant EL, and all the way clockwise be the top of the elevation, and all the way counterclockwise be the bottom of elevation. Since this is what I think it should work like on the real jet.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I stand corrected.

there is definatly a bug.

the ANT ELEV axis is relative rather then absolute.

i.e in EVERY other DCS module, the antena position is absolute in relation to the position of the axis. if it's in the middle, RDR is middle. if it's up radar is up.

In 3/10 viper, ANT is Relative. as long as axis is center the RDR stay where it is. if you move the axis up, RDR will move up till it hits the gimble or you center the axis again.

That is defiantly not consistent with any other implementation of radar elevation anywhere.

Whichever mod doing the house keeping, other threads on the same thing

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250866

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250893

Edited by uri_ba

If you guys own the Cougar Throttle, the potentiometer for the ANT elevation knob has known issues. It might be your hardware. I had to do some maintenance on mine. Mine was fine last time I used it with F@$@#$. It gets knocked out of alignment really easily.

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php#antpot

If thats the case, then explain why its working correctly on the mirage using the same Cougar throttle

This is cleary a bug and should be fixed! Plz, re-read Uri Ba's post above...

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• 4 weeks later...
I stand corrected.

there is definatly a bug.

the ANT ELEV axis is relative rather then absolute.

i.e in EVERY other DCS module, the antena position is absolute in relation to the position of the axis. if it's in the middle, RDR is middle. if it's up radar is up.

In 3/10 viper, ANT is Relative. as long as axis is center the RDR stay where it is. if you move the axis up, RDR will move up till it hits the gimble or you center the axis again.

That is defiantly not consistent with any other implementation of radar elevation anywhere.

Whichever mod doing the house keeping, other threads on the same thing

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250866

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250893

It works the same way in the Hornet I believe. Or at least it did on launch, I haven't flown the Hornet in quite a while.

If you guys own the Cougar Throttle, the potentiometer for the ANT elevation knob has known issues. It might be your hardware. I had to do some maintenance on mine. Mine was fine last time I used it with F@$@#$. It gets knocked out of alignment really easily.

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php#antpot

Mine is basically brand new. So I doubt it.

I do think its a bug.

My current work around is to assign it as normal axis and make it uber flat so it can scroll up/down with some reasonable rate but I have to return it to center to stop it. But it would be great if it would like it should. I.E. at detent position its co-alt with your plane and the rest of it correlates with radar gimbal position. All the way up, points the radar up, all the way down points the radar down. (at least thats how I think it works in the real thing) and this is how the other zoom axis for the TPOD does work.

Edited by Harlikwin

Mine is basically brand new. So I doubt it.

I do think its a bug.

My current work around is to assign it as normal axis and make it uber flat so it can scroll up/down with some reasonable rate but I have to return it to center to stop it. But it would be great if it would like it should. I.E. at detent position its co-alt with your plane and the rest of it correlates with radar gimbal position. All the way up, points the radar up, all the way down points the radar down. (at least thats how I think it works in the real thing) and this is how the other zoom axis for the TPOD does work.

I don't know about the Viper in real life, but the Hornet's antenna control is a spring loaded axis. You push it down or up a little to change the radar elevation and when you release the control it springs back to center. It's not so much a bug as it is the difference in control setups between computer controls and real plane controls.

I'm using a Cougar with stock pots but an after market USB kit. Mine works pretty reliably. Can you tune the input using target or CCP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I use the TUSBA from Realsimulator on mine. The bundled software has been very useful for the cursor switch which you can set to emulate keystrokes at specific ranges of the axis, i.e. radar cursor down, up, etc. It makes the radar cursor much more precise and accurate than the axis.

I tried to use a similar method for the ANT ELEV Knob pot but it was too janky and I had to open it up, clean it, and reposition per the tutorial on the flyfoxy website. I believe you can use an equivalent in CCP and TARGET but since I started using the TUSBA it seems bricked to Windows without it. I was hoping to use the Cougar throttle for a TARGET profile but I'm stuck using a profile just for the stick. Tried reflashing the firmware and registry edits to no avail. But it works fine with TUSBA.

I've honestly used most of my spare time troubleshooting and fixing my Cougar since the Viper released. Only recently got it dialed in with my profile where I can enjoy flying without stopping to tune the layout.

I like having the realistic throttle but TM, Winwing, or Realsim need to put out a new throttle. Getting the detentes right and all the pot issues has been very tedious and I like to tinker.

If you are referring to the fact that the antenna goes up and down extremely fast when moved off center, it's not a Cougar antenna pot issue. It's and implementation issue. The axis for antenna elevation should be one to one. In the real jet, if the antenna knob is in the center, your antenna is in the center. As you move your antenna knob up and down the radar antenna moves up or down and stops in the position where you stoped moving the knob. Right now it is not modeled correctly as an "absolute axis" I believe it's called and is a known issue.

If I misread the initial post disregard my response. I have the TQS and TUSBA as well and it happens to me. What I've done is lower the Y saturation and increase curve to at least 30. Regardless of these changes, you'll need to move the knob back to center to stop it from moving. This same behavior will happen if you set the Ant Elev to the Lever on a Warthog.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

If you are referring to the fact that the antenna goes up and down extremely fast when moved off center, it's not a Cougar antenna pot issue. It's and implementation issue. The axis for antenna elevation should be one to one. In the real jet, if the antenna knob is in the center, your antenna is in the center. As you move your antenna knob up and down the radar antenna moves up or down and stops in the position where you stoped moving the knob. Right now it is not modeled correctly as an "absolute axis" I believe it's called and is a known issue.

If I misread the initial post disregard my response. I have the TQS and TUSBA as well and it happens to me. What I've down is lower the Y saturation and increase curve to at least 30. Regardless of these changes, you'll need to move the knob back to center to stop it from moving. This same behavior will happen if you set the Ant Elev to the Lever on a Warthog.

Yeah this was my "bandaid" fix to this as well. It would be nice if ED fixed it. Its odd to me that the "zoom" axis works fine on the cougar for the TGP and the antenna should work the same way as that axis but doesn't.

Is this still not fixed? I didn't see it in the changelog. I'm starting to actually have time to learn AMRAAMs and the radar/IFF, it would be nice if they got this right so we didn't have to rely on workarounds in the TUSBA software and/or map the keyboard callbacks.

Is this still not fixed? I didn't see it in the changelog. I'm starting to actually have time to learn AMRAAMs and the radar/IFF, it would be nice if they got this right so we didn't have to rely on workarounds in the TUSBA software and/or map the keyboard callbacks.

The behavior is present regardless of the type of input. Currently I'm using my Warthog and have CW-CCW mapped to the cooly hat on the throttle. I have to lightly tap it to keep it from scaling from one end to the other. I haven't flown the Hornet since the 16 came out but I think it has the same behavior as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Just to add my hat into the ring - mine too suffers with this issue.

Everything else works fine using the slider. The default control assignment using the f16 works ok to move the elevation, but the slider definitely jumps 99/99 on both scales.

• ED Team

Hi all

please review our rules before posting, I have had a tidy up in this thread.

If you have problems with each other this is not the place to air them.

treat each other with respect.

thank you.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2