F18 Gatling gun

PinkyRng

So will we ever get more than 1 ammo type. I mean parallel dev sounds fun but so far we only see viper getting features that F18 should also have. They got like 5 different ammo types on release. And yes hornet doesn't have HE only it has more than 1 ammo types available to it.

Porting those ammos to hornet shouldn't be hard.

Edited by PinkyRng

So will we ever get more than 1 ammo type. I mean parallel dev sounds fun but so far we only see viper getting features that F18 should also have. They got like 5 different ammo types on release. And yes hornet doesn't have HE only it has more than 1 ammo types available to it.

Viper and Hornet uses the same gun (M61 Vulcan), so I hope we will get different ammo types for Hornet too. It will be so cool.

They also need to fix the gun sound in the cockpit. It sounds like the GAU-8 right now. The Viper uses the correct sound for the M61. Both of them have the GAU-8 sound in external views.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Do you have proof the US Navy used different ammo then is currently in the sim? If you do, or think you do, you should post here, or if it's a manual, just give us the reference and page number so you don't break rule 1.16.

Just because the Hornet could do something or fire something isn't enough, it has to be the US Navy specifically, the same way the AGM-65G's were removed, the Hornet can use them, but the US Navy didn't so it isn't in the sim.

We've seen ED make changes like that when proof has been shown, you could be the one that gets this change to happen.

Do you have proof the US Navy used different ammo then is currently in the sim? If you do, or think you do, you should post here, or if it's a manual, just give us the reference and page number so you don't break rule 1.16.

Just because the Hornet could do something or fire something isn't enough, it has to be the US Navy specifically, the same way the AGM-65G's were removed, the Hornet can use them, but the US Navy didn't so it isn't in the sim.

We've seen ED make changes like that when proof has been shown, you could be the one that gets this change to happen.

kinda like the targeting pod and how navy uses them right? :megalol:

kinda like the targeting pod and how navy uses them right? :megalol:

Heh heh this one made me chuckle, well played sir.

The m61 is compatible with all NATO agreement rounds regardless of what air service they are in, and considering as stated above ED is saying that it’s ok to bend the rules on the pod, should mean there should be the same leeway on the ammo IMHO anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you have proof the US Navy used different ammo then is currently in the sim?

Stout, Jay. Hornets over Kuwait (Posición en Kindle2844). . Edición de Kindle.

But I still had my gun. And over five hundred rounds of twenty-milimeters cannon ammunition. That could certainly stop a truck. Later we found it could stop a tank.

Not the case with the actual ammo type, it's just HE no AP round in the belt, so anything harder than a truck just laugh at it.

I think that we just have in sim is the M56A3/A4 (HE) and we should got also the M53 (API) and the PGU-28A/B (SAPHEI).

Well first point being we are also a ground attack jet that means we should have ammo that actually do some damage. But sadly I can't find any info anywhere that specifiacally states what ammo Navy uses.

But you argument is irrelevant anyway since you can't find that info on F16 also and you can't find info that F18 only uses HE rounds so yeah. If the gun manufacturer clearly states it is compatible with all those ammo types then I don't see a reason why F18 should have less ammo types than F16, only reason I could think of is so players would buy both planes because that way they can offer features that other one doesn't have even though it should... So if they never decide to add it I think it would be because of greed.

There is literally no excuse oh its hard or any other reason that they can't make it for F18 because they have the same damn gun so all you gotta do it port the ammo over :D

Just so funny that hornets work is applicable to Viper so lets help Viper but not vice versa. That is the reason most F18 flyers are a bit angry rn.

Edited by PinkyRng

Stout, Jay. Hornets over Kuwait (Posición en Kindle2844). . Edición de Kindle.

Not the case with the actual ammo type, it's just HE no AP round in the belt, so anything harder than a truck just laugh at it.

I think that we just have in sim is the M56A3/A4 (HE) and we should got also the M53 (API) and the PGU-28A/B (SAPHEI).

Stopping a tank with HE ammo is possible just blowing up the tracks or the driving wheel. You don't need AP ammo for that.

You have to consider that "killing a tank" is not always a catastrophic kill (that is, blowing up the tank) Most of the time you disable the tracks, sights, force the crew to run in panic...

Also a tank is not always a MBT. I really doubt a Hornet gun can do much against a modern MBT aside from blowing up some ERA panels. IFV and APC on the other hand...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stopping a tank with HE ammo is possible just blowing up the tracks or the driving wheel. You don't need AP ammo for that.

You have to consider that "killing a tank" is not always a catastrophic kill (that is, blowing up the tank) Most of the time you disable the tracks, sights, force the crew to run in panic...

Also a tank is not always a MBT. I really doubt a Hornet gun can do much against a modern MBT aside from blowing up some ERA panels. IFV and APC on the other hand...

yes need to kill the tank to take the airport in most multiplayer modes :D and HE wont cut it. I don't care about the philosophy of killing a tank, you can tell that to all other planes also and remove their special ammo that destroys tanks and stuff.

How about all the planes get the ammo they are supposed to have.

Yesterday I spend almost 500 20mm HE rounds and barely made a dent in a M113 Light APC... I saw the hits on the vehicle and it took no damage. Pretty similar results with SAPHEI rounds from the F-16. That's not right... I think there's a bigger discrepancy between the penetration/effectiveness of 20mm vs 30mm in DCS than IRL (since the GAU-8 destroys anything short of an MBT with a few rounds).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

What was your dive angle, airspeed, and slant range when firing the gun? I can usually destroy an M113 with 15° dive at 500kts and less than 5,000ft slant range.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

What was your dive angle, airspeed, and slant range when firing the gun? I can usually destroy an M113 with 15° dive at 500kts and less than 5,000ft slant range.

I did a few passes, my dive angle would be between 15° and 25°, depending on the pass and the slant range was ~5,000ft for the F-18 and 5,000-7,000ft for the F-16, but the F-16 was using SAPHEI rounds, while the F-18 is only using HE. Target aspect (front vs rear shots) didn't seem to make a difference. Thing is, I know it should, it does with the A-10C, when attacking MBTs.

It's definitely a little strange, because other times it works much better. Most of my gun runs with the F-18 are around 4,000-5,000ft slant range and at a dive angle of 15° or higher. I often see the rounds hitting the target and doing the explosion effect (I switch to F7 to look at the vehicle to confirm), but the log doesn't register a hit.

-

Something is definitely weird with online versus offline play.

Online (4YA training server) I have a really hard time killing M113s. Sometimes I can damage them, sometimes not. Sometimes I can use up all the ammo and not kill a single one. Granted this could be a mission setting, but it happens with other APCs too, being hard to kill.

When I shoot at M113 offline, they die immediately with a few hits. Strafing a column once, expending 150 rounds, I destroy 4 or 5 of them and damaged many others.

There is certainly a difference between online and offline hit detection or damage allocation.

In offline, for sure, vehicles have different armor values for different sides. Try a Ka-50 gun against a T-72. It does damage to the rear and top deck, but not the front.

But multiplayer uses a different damage model, or there is simply a lag or loss problem that prevents hits from registering. You can see the sparky-explosion particle effect of a hit, but no health is actually lost. I have a hard time believing that it's a bug, though, because other guns seem to work just fine (I always see Harriers taking out APCs with a couple of bullets). Since M113 is only armored against rifle caliber, the F-18 gun should definitely deal some damage per hit, AP ammo or not.

Don't know why, but it's way harder to kill M113 online than offline with F-18 gun. I even tried this on different maps and with the tracerless ammo, same results. Off the top of my head, maybe it's a rounding issue? Offline, fractional damage values are counted, but in multiplayer, only full integer damage values are counted?

edit: Strykers, however, don't seem to show a difference between online and offline play. Offline, I strafed a column and did only 1hp of damage to one vehicle, and similar results online. Weird.

Edited by Preendog