Viper Appreciation

Bagpipe

Thought i would start a positive thread so we can exclaim all that we are enjoying about the WIP Viper module. It's been feeling rather weighted to the negative side on the forum. :smartass::doh: By all means continue the beta testing but keep it civil and above board

I just finished the Night Intercept instant action mission and man this thing is a tank, the radar is great and so responsive, it climbs like a maniac so regaining the elevation advantage is a doddle and if you get into a dogfight with a Flanker you dont have much to worry about if you know what you are doing. Oh and jettisoning ALL your flares at once before landing at night is fun too :smilewink:

Feel free to add your positive experiences, or don't but that would be awkward right...:huh:

Edited by Bagpipe

Thought i would start a positive thread so we can exclaim all that we are enjoying about the WIP Viper module. It's been feeling rather weighted to the negative side on the forum. :smartass::doh:

I just finished the Night Intercept instant action mission and man this thing is a tank, the radar is great and so responsive, it climbs like a maniac so regaining the elevation advantage is a doddle and if you get into a dogfight with a Flanker you dont have much to worry about if you know what you are doing. Oh and jettisoning ALL your flares at once before landing at night is fun too :smilewink:

Feel free to add your positive experiences, or don't but that would be awkward right...:huh:

Don't worry, I'm having lots of fun!

And will just get better and better.

What hit me first was the awesome sound!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Agreed, the sounds are awesome, so immersive. Being able to ear the engine is also very useful for formation flying, landing and taxiing.

Asus z170i pro gaming MB / i7-6700K OC 4.5Ghz /

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8GD / Ram 16gb DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz / SSD 500Gb / Oculus Rift S

It is still very very green, but hell yeah!

My first ever complex combat sim was Falcon by Sublogic, PS2 512kb RAM and a Hercules VGA vid card, 4 colors LOL.

We have definitely come a long way since 1988...

Today after a long day in the office, I finally had the chance to try this beloved plane on mine. Absolutely beautiful, even in the early access status! Some doubts about afterburner power but overall great, I'm in for a very good time.

Thank you ED.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI8

For me the Viper is the first DCS aircraft that fits like a glove... Dont get me wrong, all the other birds are awesome too, but she fits my basic idea of flying a fighter jet perfectly. Very responsive and precise.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

The Viper maybe's gonna kick the Hornet from the throne for me. Although I really like the carrier, the Viper is just amazing. The cockpit, the sounds, the Warthog-like controls. And the canopy, oh man that canopy!

Glad I pre-ordered. :smartass:

I'd rather fly it now as a shell in VR than wait another 6 months.

I really don't get the whining about it being released as is, it could be on rails as a guided tour type concept and I still would rather that experience with VR than wait months. If you want to wait for more complete features then fine, wait. It's labelled as EA, people went in with eyes wide open as ti what it is.

Thank You, ED

A long, long time ago, I wanted to be an Air Force pilot. The F-16 was my favorite, favorite aircraft. I'd watch Iron Eagle (only to realize how horrible it was years later - lol) and Star Wars on the weekends. Just something about the Falcon...

Fast forward to the release of That-4.0-Sim. I was in hog-heaven! Aside from all the bugs, of course. lol I spent countless hours playing my favorite aircraft in that sim. So many great memories flying with people online, the communities (F4Community, Frugals World, Netwings, etc)... A true golden-age for me.

Then I got to shadow an ANG pilot. Even got to fly in the simulator (imagine his surprise when I know where buttons are and how to pretty much fly it already and waxed 3 fighters and greased the landing :D )!

Then I applied for an ROTC scholarship - didn't get it, but went AFROTC anyway. I wanted to be a pilot!!! But, I wasn't ready for school and, despite getting perfect grades in ROTC, I didn't stay in school.

Eventually I went the Army route and almost 10 years later, we see ED release an F-16.

I cannot thank you enough - I've been flying around with it, just messing, but oh boy is this bringing back the memories! It's almost like riding a bike - I haven't messed with the tutorials yet, but I'm remembering how things work and blowing things up first-run.

I cannot thank you enough, ED - you've let me relive a bit of my childhood and reminded me of some of the best years of my life. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

The Viper maybe's gonna kick the Hornet from the throne for me. Although I really like the carrier, the Viper is just amazing. The cockpit, the sounds, the Warthog-like controls. And the canopy, oh man that canopy!

Glad I pre-ordered. :smartass:

Warthog had Viper-like controls.

Maybe it's because I essentially grew up playing Falcon sims, but I just find the F-16's HOTAS and ICP logic so intuitive...It feels very natural and direct.

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

Ignore the haterade on reddit. You'd think none of the whiners there have ever been a part of Early Access before. I'm glad I pre-ordered it. I admit it. I've been in love with the F-16 ever since I first saw one. Grabbed Sublogic's "JET"for the C64 as a kid back in 1985 because it featured the F-16.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not new to Early Access, I bought both the Hornet and the F-14 and I knew that the Viper was being released at a relatively "earlier" point than either of those. I for one, am glad ED did so. I didn't need the plane to be 100% on day one. All I wanted was to do some cold starts, drink in the sights and sounds in 2160x2160 per-eye VR, do some guns-only BFM, take-offs, landings, and rip through some 8-9 G turns.

tSBPkhk.png

The fidelity of F-16 simulation has come a long way in the past 35 years and took a major leap in the past year alone. It would be nice if more people appreciated that instead of whining because their pet feature wasn't available on day one.

Edited by Bipper

I'm enjoying being able to drop those hilarious CBU97 bombs, use the TGP to drop some GBU12 onto a bunker, and then shoot down an enemy with the 120C and follow up on his wingman with a close range 9X tracking off the rail using the helmet display.

The sound is fantastic too, is the lack of audible afterburner from the cockpit just because EA or the real jet is like that?