F-16 Versus F-18 Ease Of Learning & Control?

Zulu111

I would say the Hornet is easier to learn, but you have to learn more stuff. You have many tutorials and documentation for the F18 which helps you a lot. I also think it's somehow easier as the systems are working "together" and the workflow is mostly common.

It's hard to descibe but I think it's actually harder to dive into the plane when some systems aren't implemented yet. You have to ask yourself "Is it WIP / is it a bug / is it a pilot error" if something isn't working.

I hope you can understand me :D

EDIT: Regarding the controls it is very hard to tell which one is easier to fly. There is a difference, but not a very big one I would say.

Edited by TomatoSalad83

Not entirely sure what your experience level, personally I would recommend the Hornet. It is more complete and refined at this point and has a truly superb flight model that I don't think will change as much as the viper will at this point. The Hornet is much more forgiving with mistakes at the landing threshold than the viper.

I find the viper way easier to land than the hornet.

They are both easy to fly.

Hornet has more complicated systems, and more finished. More weapon choices so far. More complete.

Vipers systems seem easier so far, but it’s still early.

Viper is easier to fly because of the FBW system. It's almost always rock stable with only slight trim needed at times. The Hornet has a digital fly by wire system as well but not to the extent of the Viper. The Hornet feels like a traditional stick and rudder aircraft needing to be trimmed more often and is more prone to oscillating in pitch. They're both fun to fly but the Hornet takes more skill and effort to do really well.

The Hornet is infinitely maneuverable at slow speeds but is anemic when it comes to thrust. The Viper is a hot rod and with the current flight model can climb to over 30,000 without dropping below 330 knots. The Hornet bleeds speed at high G's, while the Viper can power through high G turns.

When fleshed out and complete the Viper has the best HOTAS setup of any jet barring the F-22 and F-35. The 3 master modes on the Dogfight switch configure weapons, sensors and displays for each mode once set, every time. The Hornet presents more information at once with three displays as opposed to 2 displays in the Viper. The problem is you can't switch easily from AA to AG while retaining a common set up. Easily anyway..

The Viper and the Hornet come from the same Airforce request for a new low cost, dogfighter back in the 60's when the Airforce had almost completely eliminated the gun in jets. After getting their clocks cleaned in Vietnam compared to the Korean War, the "Fighter Mafia" demanded a jet that could out Dogfight anything in the sky. The Viper won but the Navy took the Hornet for a smaller lower cost carrier fighter.

I'm a Viper fan. Period. It's a blast to fly and even though it was designed as a dogfighter, it's the multirole king. You WEAR the cockpit which is raked back 30 degrees like a recliner of death. It has a bubble canopy with no obstructions. It's the Lambo of the sky. I own both and while I'd recommend the Viper the Hornet is much farther along and and will teach you how to fly a fighter well. The Hornet can carry much more armament as well.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I own the Hornet since it`s release, but never really found the time to learn it, due to all the other modules in my collection. Since we now have the Viper in EA, I decided that now is the time to dig into learning both planes. Hornet has progressed a lot since last year and learning the Viper while all the features get implemented seems like a good thing to do.

Two absolutely great and iconic fighters in one sim, plus the upcoming upgrades to the A10 (which I also still have to learn); that`s really Sim-Heaven.

My advice is, grab both Fighters and learn them. :thumbup:

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I'd buy both cause they complement each other pretty well. You got Navy ops and USAF ops same time. If money is an issue, I'd wait till the hornet gets on sale and I'll pick it up for sure.

-Viper way easier to fly, easier to learn cause you'll be following the development. It is very fast so it is noob-friendly. The HOTAS is much better designed so you can do almost everything from your hands-on throttle and stick. Refueling is even easier for me.The viper is the new toy, everybody want it but there is not much to do right now so ppl will come back (Like I did) to the hornet while they finish it.

-Hornet is much more completed but is hard to learn. Feels much more responsive than the viper, and has mentioned before, hornet can fly low and slow. Carrier ops, that's a very good reason to pick the legacy hornet. You will have hundreds of hours to enjoy it and don't get bored.