OT: Vulcan flies again!

Andrew_McP

Fantastic aircraft, great to watch and that engine noise is something else on a low pass - nothing else like it - really looking forward to seeing it on the circuits again.

Saw one crash in Malta many moons ago when I was serving on HMS Hermes - pilot missed the runway apron on landing and drove a wheel unit up throught the wing - he managed to get it airborne again but it caused a huge fire and the fuel tanks exploded blowing the thing into several bits - the engines kept going in an almost straight line out to sea - he managed to bang out throught the roof with the co pilot but the others got stuck inside - including his daughter who was on a jolly - really sad.

Thanks for sharing this with us, but marking your topic OT by yourself you should also post it on the Off Topic section of the forums.

Moved to OT.

Sorry to make work for you, but I hate this policy of moving (potentially) interesting posts away from the only forum where people actually look regularly. My experience with movies shows that if you post in the movie forum, hardly anyone notices. Post in the main forum and you'll get a lot of interest.

I certainly never look here unless I see a "moved" link and follow it.

I understand your position though. Next time I'll forget the "OT". ;-)

Andrew McP

Saw one crash in Malta many moons ago

That's an interesting, but awful story, especially the last bit. Fancy having to make that split-second decision about leaving your daughter behind or dying yourself. Obviously there'd be little time to think about such things, but... what a truly awful predicament.

My only connection with the Vulcan is seeing them fly overhead occasionally when I lived in Buxton. It's one of my few early memories, stood in a field watching a big V-shaped aircraft going over... I assume it would've been a Vulcan anyway.

Andrew McP

A thread with more pictures and some movie clips of the flight. The movie clips may not behave very well though. They're certainly not working at the moment. (Edit: the first one didn't work, but the other two clips did)

http://buccsociety.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=pfyt&action=display&num=1192736329

There's a very nice movie clip of a landing and takeoff on this page...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=488349&in_page_id=1770

And another great clip here...

Andrew McP