Make throttles clickable for off/idle

VC

It would be great if you could move the throttles from OFF to IDLE and vice-versa by just clicking on them (the F-14B behaves like this).

I know you can bind the commands, but it would be a nice quality of life improvement for VR to not need those additional bindings and just be able to click instead.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

It would be great if you could move the throttles from OFF to IDLE and vice-versa by just clicking on them (the F-14B behaves like this).

I know you can bind the commands, but it would be a nice quality of life improvement for VR to not need those additional bindings and just be able to click instead.

Yes.

In addition to the OP matter, Canopy open/close function uses keyboard binding(lctrl+C).

Isn't there a click able switch in the Viper to close the canopy? Did not see that being used in the rampstart video.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Yes.

In addition to the OP matter, Canopy open/close function uses keyboard binding(lctrl+C).

Isn't there a click able switch in the Viper to close the canopy? Did not see that used in the rampstart video.

There is, right under the yellow handle you close to seal the canopy after closing it, it a small switch.

+1 to OP... for All modules!!!

Yes.

Isn't there a click able switch in the Viper to close the canopy? Did not see that used in the rampstart video.

This is the Hornet forum section not Viper. The Hornet cockpit close/open switch I'm fairly sure is already clickable.

But thanks for the support on clickable throttles :)

VC

There is, right under the yellow handle you close to seal the canopy after closing it, it a small switch.

+1 to OP... for All modules!!!

Okay thanks. It was clumsy removing vr headset to close canopy with keyboard. The training video in-game does not make reference to that switch so I thought it was not implemented yet.

I need to unbind the hotas button I had used for canopy operation to save me one more hotas button.

Cheers

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

This is the Hornet forum section not Viper. The Hornet cockpit close/open switch I'm fairly sure is already clickable.

But thanks for the support on clickable throttles :)

Oh , my bad, I did not check the heading of the thread. No hijacking intentions here. Happily, the idle throttle wishlist is relevant to all modules.

Cheers.

+1 to op . Would save 2 precious hotas switches .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

In VR , keyboard commands not so good ...and clicking and dragging the mouse seems pretty safe . I do get your concern though . I previously had the function mapped , and killed my engine on a long final into Batumi in an L-39 . It did not end well :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

In normal operations, outside of an emergency, these controls are ever used once per sortie. You only command the left engine to run once. You only command the right engine to stop once.

The importance of these controls is such they're relegated to needing modifiers, they are used so infrequently. Users must currently very intentionally interact with them. The chance of error is very low, because as you described, the consequence of error is very high. I believe the current system is very well done.

Is looking at the keyboard that difficult in VR that users cannot take the couple of seconds each sortie to press keyboard keys?

In normal operations, outside of an emergency, these controls are ever used once per sortie. You only command the left engine to run once. You only command the right engine to stop once.

The importance of these controls is such they're relegated to needing modifiers, they are used so infrequently. Users must currently very intentionally interact with them. The chance of error is very low, because as you described, the consequence of error is very high. I believe the current system is very well done.

Is looking at the keyboard that difficult in VR that users cannot take the couple of seconds each sortie to press keyboard keys?

You can't see the keyboard in VR. Anyway - you can click the throttles in the F-14, I've never once got anywhere near accidentally clicking them. You're worried about a problem that doesn't exist.

For what it's worth I have never accidentally shut down my engines in the Tomcat, and I often need to hit switches that are partly obsucred by the trottles.

I understand your concern but I think the probability of it causing an issue is very low. In any case clicking them to shut down would only work when they're already at idle, which they wouldn't be in flight (except some really heated dogfight scenarios, but then what are you doing clicking anything on the left console?).

VC

For what it's worth I have never accidentally shut down my engines in the Tomcat, and I often need to hit switches that are partly obsucred by the trottles.

I understand your concern but I think the probability of it causing an issue is very low. In any case clicking them to shut down would only work when they're already at idle, which they wouldn't be in flight (except some really heated dogfight scenarios, but then what are you doing clicking anything on the left console?).

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read about the concerns. :thumbup:

ControllerBuddy - A highly advanced game controller mapping software (for flight simulators)

• 1 month later...

Absolutely +1 Both the Tomcat and Viggen have this and it's my preferred way of doing it compared to a keybinding.

And I absolutely agree with VC I too have never ever accidentally clicked the throttles to off in flight, even when trying to reach switches near to or typically obscured by the throttle. Plus as others have said above, it's only possible to do this in the aircraft that have it when the throttle is at idle - not a position it's likely to be in mid-flight.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

And if it was only an option in the special settings nobody's preferences would be hurt. I don't see why this shouldn't be implemented and become a DCS standard option for all future modules. As sim pilots we all want to get rid of standard keyboard bindings. Especially of those with one ore two modifiers. So come on ED, give us a sign of hope here please! :joystick:

The concept of removing the headset and effectively coming out of the virtual cockpit is an immersion killer. Personally I wouldn't want to use the keyboard at all using VR.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The TM Warthog throttle has switches built into the throttle levers that signal the transition OFF/IDLE and vice versa. I would think that other throttles might have that feature too. In that case there is no need at all for clickable throttle levers in the virtual cockpit. But for those VR users who don't have a throttle with that feature I can see the justification for the request.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The concept of removing the headset and effectively coming out of the virtual cockpit is an immersion killer. Personally I wouldn't want to use the keyboard at all using VR.

This!

And still don't understand why not as an option? I didn't see any arguments why it has to be a keyboard command without choice. The implementation shouldn't take too much efforts. Not much more than following this thread till a decision is made. ;)