Going from a CV1 to a Reverb, wort the money?

arturojgt

Hi guys, I have a CV1 and I’m planing to adquiere an HP Reverb. This CV1 works greats apart from the right headphone stop working, the screen door effect is massive in this headset and is time to look for a replacement.

I know the reverb spec but I want to hear about the experience and improvements from an “ex CV1 but actual Reverb owner”.

Can you give that little push?

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Harlikwin , for one , went from a CV1 to the Reverb .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I went from CV1 to Reverb. You won't regret it. The experience I got in the cockpit first time in the Reverb was the same WOW factor of trying on VR for the first time with the DK2. SDE is still there but hardly noticeable at all. I can read all dials, everything on the HUD and see ground targets at angels 20.

Get some money back by offloading the CV1 - so the difference between what I made back and buying the Reverb is more than worth it for the resolution.

However it does come with some caveats - the monstrous stiff cable and mediocre controllers. But as a simmer only the cable presents a nuisance as I don't use the controllers at all.

As a general room VR experience you're better off with the Rift S or Index but for sit down simmers nothing beats the Reverb.

And don't believe the negativity about tracking in the Reverb. Mine has not lost tracking at all, even when checking six or looking down behind at my arse flicking the test switches in the F-16.

That canopy though in the Reverb..... do me a favour and come write about your experience when you first sit down in the F-16 in the Reverb with that canopy.

Hi guys, I have a CV1 and I’m planing to adquiere an HP Reverb. This CV1 works greats apart from the right headphone stop working, the screen door effect is massive in this headset and is time to look for a replacement.

I know the reverb spec but I want to hear about the experience and improvements from an “ex CV1 but actual Reverb owner”.

Can you give that little push?

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

I went from CV1 to Reverb. Essentially the headsets look very similar, however I found Rift to be slightly more comfortable. Screen door to all intents and purposes is gone - unless you deliberately look for it.

Resolution. In cockpit resolution is far better than Rift, but the effect is not too different to what you are used to overall. Rift was pretty good close in. You can see finer details such as the Tomcat emergency hydraulic on, hi and lo flags just by leaning forward a few inches from your normal seated position. Seeing those tiny flags is pretty amazing.

If you fly at sunset or sunrise, the Reverb does not suffer the terrible sky banding that plagued the Rift and the number of stars visible at night is astounding.

Where the Reverb really scores is in the middle distance. You can see wingman ect clearly and not just as a grey blob.

Audio. The headphones are not as good as those on the Rift and make the headset feel slightly clunky. I removed mine and use an in ear solution. The headset is far more comfortable now and sound is great.

Setting up. Reverb is very definitely not plug and play. You will have to tweak all the settings to get the best out of it. The software feels clunky until you get used to it. My first gen Reverb now I got everything dialled in is just like a Hi Res CV1, but it did not happen overnight.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

It's absolutely worth it. I went from the CV1 to the Reverb and the jump in clarity is like going from a grainy VHS cassette image to High Definition. Make sure you have the hardware to run it though and be prepared to tune down some of your graphics settings. The trade off is more than worth it though.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Screen door effect, is noticeable like in the cv1?

night and day brother

you will be amazed, trust me, I have tried CV1 and Samsung Odyssey (OG and O+) as well as Rift S. Reverb was by far the better, clearer unit. Especially compared to CV1 and OG

And what about the differences in the FOV (CV1 vs Reverb)? Thanks

FOV is roughly the same.

To the OP, when you go to the Reverb from a CV1, you should actually be able to turn a few things up in your graphics settings and get better performance. The main factor that allows that to happen is that with the Reverb, you can set your DCS PD to 1.0. If you keep your Steam VR SS at 100%, that will also give you more headroom for turning things up, and still get better performance than in your CV1. I have found that going above 1.0 PD in DCS, and/or going above 100% SS in Steam VR has no noticeable effect on clarity. I'm even running 4X MSAA in DCS now, with only an occasional episode of ghosting.

If you had your DCS PD set to 2.0 for your CV1 like I did, when you first try the Reverb, about the only thing you'll immediately notice is the absence of SDE and godrays. Its when you try putting on that CV1 again that you'll say "Holy cow! This looks awful!". Aircraft and ground target spotting are dramatically improved, and wait until you start firing Mavericks in the A-10C with the Reverb. You'll actually be able to use the quick-draw function of those missiles without being right on top of your target. You'll be able to see all of your targets through the Maverick from a lot further away.

Definitely worth the money! I hung on to my CV1 though, just because I wanted to have good, reliable access to my Oculus games. Using Revive is OK for that purpose, but its pretty buggy.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

FOV is roughly the same.

To the OP, when you go to the Reverb from a CV1, you should actually be able to turn a few things up in your graphics settings and get better performance. The main factor that allows that to happen is that with the Reverb, you can set your DCS PD to 1.0. If you keep your Steam VR SS at 100%, that will also give you more headroom for turning things up, and still get better performance than in your CV1. I have found that going above 1.0 PD in DCS, and/or going above 100% SS in Steam VR has no noticeable effect on clarity. I'm even running 4X MSAA in DCS now, with only an occasional episode of ghosting.

If you had your DCS PD set to 2.0 for your CV1 like I did, when you first try the Reverb, about the only thing you'll immediately notice is the absence of SDE and godrays. Its when you try putting on that CV1 again that you'll say "Holy cow! This looks awful!". Aircraft and ground target spotting are dramatically improved, and wait until you start firing Mavericks in the A-10C with the Reverb. You'll actually be able to use the quick-draw function of those missiles without being right on top of your target. You'll be able to see all of your targets through the Maverick from a lot further away.

Definitely worth the money! I hung on to my CV1 though, just because I wanted to have good, reliable access to my Oculus games. Using Revive is OK for that purpose, but its pretty buggy.

Thank you, very clear now! :thumbup:

Also thinking about upgrade from CV1 to Reverb, only concern is IPD.

My IPD is 60mm and Reverb has no physical IPD adjustment...

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

Also thinking about upgrade from CV1 to Reverb, only concern is IPD.

My IPD is 60mm and Reverb has no physical IPD adjustment...

No Problem I have 64.5 mm. min.,max setting = 55 to 65 mm! Digital you can set it! :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Hi

Would a 2070 super run the reverb? Perhaps turn some sliders down?

Or a standard 2080? The 2080ti is really above my budget....it's about 1200 Euro here...

I'm interested more in clarity than in high shadows and a lot of trees...

Thanks

And the most vocal proponent for it here! ;) I'm sure he'll chime in. All reports indicate it's a good setup, and appears to work with a GTX1080 as a baseline. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have an i7 7700, 32 bg 3200 MHz, 1080ti and evo 970 pro. With the rift almost all maxed out but what do think about this Pc and Reverb?

Yup...

Amazing upgrade.

No SDE, high res, and performance is quite good as well. You can read my posts in the 300+ page long reverb thread.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have an i7 7700, 32 bg 3200 MHz, 1080ti and evo 970 pro. With the rift almost all maxed out but what do think about this Pc and Reverb?

I wouldn't worry too much about performance. It was an overstated concern we all had before anyone actually had one.

I originally was able to run the reverb with my original rift settings of PD1.8... Which is nuts and it worked fine. With a 1080 you might need to turn some stuff down, but a Reverb at PD1.0 looks a ton better than a CV1 at 1.8-2.0.

The only real issues are worse color (flatter) from using LCD vs OLED. And then while the center clarity is great, it is nociably worse at the edges, but the CV1 has this too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi

Would a 2070 super run the reverb? Perhaps turn some sliders down?

Or a standard 2080? The 2080ti is really above my budget....it's about 1200 Euro here...

I'm interested more in clarity than in high shadows and a lot of trees...

Thanks

I run mine with a 2070 super. You'll be fine with that.

Off the top of my head terrain was set to low, textures high, shadows low, ground shadows flat, trees 75%, preload 10k, 1024 cockpit, visibility high, steamvr ss 188%, pd 1.0. I really should play around with reducing steamvr ss but I'm happy with these settings.

Going from a CV1 to a Reverb, wort the money?

Hi guys.

I want to buy a Reverb, I found a head set on eBay with the following serial number

8CC932Z0B1

Is the black led screen problem present in this range 932?

This is a rev A or B head set?

Is this “rev A or B” marked somewhere in the box?

I just ordered from HP, thank you all for your help.

You wont regret it but it may be time to upgrade your computer to Amiga 500.....it is the 21st century afterall!:megalol::music_whistling::joystick:

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Congratulations!

What are your PC specs??

Have fun!

Jozeff

I have an i7 7700, 32 gb 3200 MHz, 1080ti and evo 970 pro.