Polychop Simulations OH-58D Kiowa

On 1/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, tomcat_driver said:

I sure do want to have the possibility do whatever I want. If I mount a stinger in my Apache, what do you care?

ED has building a AH-64D UsArmy version. The Stinger ATAS on Apaches never was aproval on AH-64D UsArmy versions and the A versions was only tested as test versions, as Sidewinders on wingtips.

For more info, check here:

• Like 1

About a year or two ago, a real KiowaW veteran described how in "hot and high conditions", the KW would not handle 4 Hellfires well (can't recall if it COULD do it, or if it was unsafe) with a good amount of fuel... so they'd reduce the combat load to one Hellfire per side (might have something else on the other side though). 

Keep in mind that with helicopters, the heavier the load, the faster you burn your fuel... so if you need loiter time, you might want to trade munitions for time airborne. Another issue is that all that weight has a HEAVY penalty for helicopter agility. 

Just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick50 said:

About a year or two ago, a real KiowaW veteran described how in "hot and high conditions", the KW would not handle 4 Hellfires well (can't recall if it COULD do it, or if it was unsafe) with a good amount of fuel... so they'd reduce the combat load to one Hellfire per side (might have something else on the other side though). 

Keep in mind that with helicopters, the heavier the load, the faster you burn your fuel... so if you need loiter time, you might want to trade munitions for time airborne. Another issue is that all that weight has a HEAVY penalty for helicopter agility. 

Same thing with any helo - Apaches often don't fly with full loads in the latest theaters. 

• Like 1

• ED Team
7 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

While I agree with the sentiment, BS3 has opened that door for better or worse...

BS3 is based on a mostly experimental helicopter that never saw more than a few missions in one conflict. This allowed us to have a Redfor helo that we could mold into something that fit the needs of DCS World (and not worry about any government officials coming for us). This doesnt mean that we need or want to do this with every aircraft we do. To be honest all other aircraft, including the Kiowa have enough realistic options to not need fantasy loadouts. Not to mention we learned with the Viper than many people didnt like a loadout that might have been possible, worked well for gameplay, but not really a operational common loadout. 

SO long story short, the BS3 opens the door for a dev that might wanna do an airframe that never saw action, was never produced, etc but for all others we (and our 3rd Parties) try and be as real as documentation allow. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

2 hours ago, NineLine said:

BS3 is based on a mostly experimental helicopter that never saw more than a few missions in one conflict. This allowed us to have a Redfor helo that we could mold into something that fit the needs of DCS World (and not worry about any government officials coming for us). This doesnt mean that we need or want to do this with every aircraft we do. To be honest all other aircraft, including the Kiowa have enough realistic options to not need fantasy loadouts. Not to mention we learned with the Viper than many people didnt like a loadout that might have been possible, worked well for gameplay, but not really a operational common loadout. 

SO long story short, the BS3 opens the door for a dev that might wanna do an airframe that never saw action, was never produced, etc but for all others we (and our 3rd Parties) try and be as real as documentation allow. 

All military aircraft have equipment, ordnance and variants that never made it past the prototype stage and a subset of the community asks for them and more (see in this thread where people are asking for things that physically don't fit). I suspect that BS3 is going to make them more vocal but I guess we'll see.

Although, if we're doing prototype aircraft then F-16XL please.

2 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

All military aircraft have equipment, ordnance and variants that never made it past the prototype stage and a subset of the community asks for them and more (see in this thread where people are asking for things that physically don't fit). I suspect that BS3 is going to make them more vocal but I guess we'll see.

Negative, remember the "give my the AIM-120 on Tomcat" and the HB block. F-16XL has only a prototype, and that has not War Thunder or similar.

19 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Usually a single hellfire and either the M3P or rockets.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:47 PM, Rick50 said:

So the idea of a Kiowa carrying 8 Hellfires is a wee bit "optimistic" then? :joystick::surprise:

I guess you could jack it up and put it on blocks so that you could get the quad racks attached. And the pilot would have to remember to get rid of the bottom four so that he could land. 

That's ignoring the weight issues.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

If it was cold enough and at a low altitude (sea level) and you dumped enough fuel, you can do 4 Hellfires. It's feasible, but you have to have the right environment and be willing to reduce your loiter time.

18 hours ago, Rick50 said:

So the idea of a Kiowa carrying 8 Hellfires is a wee bit "optimistic" then? :joystick::surprise:

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 2:42 AM, Scott-S6 said:

I want my F-15 with ASAT. And to keep that on topic, ..would the GAU-5A be a loadable weapon? And I dont mean on the dashboard either; point, click, shoot out the window.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 1/22/2023 at 7:13 AM, NineLine said:

Not to mention we learned with the Viper than many people didn't like a loadout that might have been possible, worked well for gameplay, but not really a operational common loadout.

I just feel like the puristic people are the louder crowd on the forums.

There will always be 2 factions, 2 squadrons, 2 wings, 2 villages, next to each other...
The checkbox option on the Viper showed perfectly that mission builders can be in control whether MilSim or Casual missions are wanted.
The crying was big back then, but now it really seems like everybody is happy, so for me it does seem like a very good solution.

On one hand I can fully understand that it takes time to program stuff out of scope, and it will always be up to the developer to decide.
But something can be "the most realistic simulation of ... something" and give nice game play options for people with different taste at the same time, I believe in that.
I like Milsim game play as well, I just also like to do it in RAF role, or GAF role, or JASDF role, etc.

IRL, at least in European air forces, it happen several times that equipment was used that wasn't supposed to be used in the first place -> called "Einsatzsofortbeschaffung".
Would translate to something like "immediate war time integration".

What I am not happy with is: hardcore people trying to teach non hardcore people what fun is.
And I don't have the impression that it is the other way round.

Loadout checkbox, not using it, restriction by mission date, there are already good solutions to solve this an make both factions happy.
It just feels like loosing for the hardcore village for some reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Alias in Discord: Mailman

29 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

There will always be 2 factions, 2 squadrons, 2 wings, 2 villages, next to each other...
The checkbox option on the Viper showed perfectly that mission builders can be in control whether MilSim or Casual missions are wanted.
The crying was big back then, but now it really seems like everybody is happy, so for me it does seem like a very good solution.

On one hand I can fully understand that it takes time to program stuff out of scope, and it will always be up to the developer to decide.
But something can be "the most realistic simulation of ... something" and give nice game play options for people with different taste at the same time, I believe in that.
I like Milsim game play as well, I just also like to do it in RAF role, or GAF role, or JASDF role, etc.

IRL, at least in European air forces, it happen several times that equipment was used that wasn't supposed to be used in the first place -> called "Einsatzsofortbeschaffung".

What I am not happy with is: hardcore people trying to teach non hardcore people what fun is.

Loadout checkbox, not using it, restriction by mission date, there are already good solutions to solve this an make both factions happy.

I think the main argument against hypotheticals, is not that it shouldn't be done, it's just that it by their nature, they are difficult to do right.  Adding an untested or untried weapons system will mean applying guesswork, to a greater or lesser degree.  The devs are unlikely to have any hard data on how that a/c performs with an untested load out.  There is more to it than W&B and drag factors.  Aerodynamics come into play, and without flight test data, then how can an accurate simulation be made?  It may be as simple as a couple of lines of code, which will physically add the weapons in the game, but the aircraft will not be flying in a realistic manner (for all we know) for that particular loadout.  And if we are saying we are happy with guesswork, then it is a slippery slope.  It stops being a high-fidelity simulation.  There is nothing 'hardcore' about wanting DCS to remain a simulator.  There are other options out there for people who just want a more casual experience, and there is nothing wrong with that, and there are of course non-official mods which offer all kinds of untried and untested alternatives, if that is your particular cup of hot beverage.  Let's just keep the official stuff accurate and legitimate, so as not to dilute the authenticity of DCS.

• Like 5

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I think there is a lot of guesswork already included in all more "modern-ish" weapons across all modules. Probably more than we are aware of or do assume.

However. Even if parts of DCS are very guessworky or arbitrary simulated (radars, electronic countermeasures, ATC .... you name it) - that doesn't keep DCS from being the most sophisticated simulator of military aircraft we ever had.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

ED build expecific version, no a general version by resources, develop time and available info. If you like a country specific version, you need a MOD, and DCS has no WT or BMS. Other 3rd Parties as M5 has building some expecific versions by country, but not a "general" version.

OH-58D has the UsArmy version, no a european version.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

17 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

If you like a country specific version, you need a MOD, and DCS has no WT or BMS.

Ah ok, because DCS automatically equals WT in that case, didn't know that.

Other option: A developer who is willing to do it, with the proposed options to restrict it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

ED build expecific version, no a general version by resources, develop time and available info.

ED do that but other developers have done more non-specific versions of the aircraft. The Eurofighter we're getting is a bit of a Frankenstein, for example.

Access to good data on both flight characteristics and systems integration really is the limiting factor and focusing on a specific service and point in time makes that easier.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott-S6 said:

ED do that but other developers have done more non-specific versions of the aircraft. The Eurofighter we're getting is a bit of a Frankenstein, for example.

Access to good data on both flight characteristics and systems integration really is the limiting factor and focusing on a specific service and point in time makes that easier.

Do you read all my post or only a part?

Other 3rd Parties as M5 has building some expecific versions by country, but not a "general" version.

16 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Do you read all my post or only a part?

I did and you said "not a general version" even in the bit you quoted but the EF we're getting is pretty generic. (It's mostly German but only mostly)

4 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

My 2c is that the focus needs to be 100% on delivering that point in time snapshot of the aircraft. We have a significant issue with some developers having aircraft with substantial missing or broken functionality years after release and even after leaving early access. Got to get that core functionality right before adding features from other periods, other services or more speculative options. Every option added to an unfinished module increases the testing and troubleshooting load.

4 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

Because you're having fun the wrong way and this is clearly a bad thing.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scott-S6 said:

Got to get that core functionality right before adding features from other periods, other services or more speculative options.

Absolutely agreeing. Now we could start a discussion, what is considered core functionality.
Not kicking that one off though, leaving it for someone else, fuuuuuu, it's so tempting...

Because you're having fun the wrong way and this is clearly a bad thing.

Sorry, like I will stop to smoke this year, I will start having fun the right way from this day on, I promise!
Anyone in for playing some ground aborts next THU?

even in the bit you quoted

I have to admit, I cannot really read his English. I understood him the same way you did.

41 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The Eurofighter we're getting is a bit of a Frankenstein

Yes, it' awesome. We can actually play like GAF is cool...^^

But:
- we can not use METEOR on the wings, GAF did't buy the launchers,
- no, not use at all actually, not really working,
- leave the FLIR off,
- and might not use the radar for *censored* many sessions,
Should be realistic then.

Edited by Bananabrai
  • Like 3