[NO BUG]Parking brake not holding the aircraft

Rubberduck85

Hi,

In the Left Aux Panel, when moving the brake switch from anti-skid to parking brake, the aircraft is not hold in place when I try to taxi: if I add even 1% of throttle the parking brake disengages and revert to anti-skid. Is anybody else experiencing this? Is it "working as intended"? I have no first hand knowledge but from my experience with the Hornet, the plane won't move unless I disengage manually the parking brake.

Regards

Rubberduck

Sent from my Xiaomi MI8

Parking brake on the Real F-16C is suppose to disengage with 1 inch movement forward of the throttle or 80% RPM IIRC as long as it has battery power or main power.

Edit

And it should hold the aircraft as long as engine running and Hydraulic system B has pressure or JFS/brake accumulator have pressure.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Parking brake on the Real F-16C is suppose to disengage with 1 inch movement forward of the throttle or 80% RPM IIRC as long as it has battery power or main power.
So perhaps is it a bit too sensitive in DCS or my throttle input (warthog hotas) is excessively multiplied? I barely add power and it disconnects.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI8

Well, at what RPM does it disengage? On average, 1 inch forward should give you around 80% RPM or you can try to find a way to measure one inch the pit. I don't know how, just an idea.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Where is that 1 inch measured? Top of throttle? Bottom of throttle?

Throttle switches, you can't see them in the pit. You have to take some panels off, on the side wall, inside the cokcpit. The throttle switches send Power Lever Angle (PLA) to the DFLCC (IIRC, need to look) and it send the signal to the Digital Engine Control (DEC) for engine power scheduling and to other things, like disengaging the parking brake.

Edit

I was wrong. Throttle position switches send the signal to the signal data converter, not the DLFCC.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I don't see the problem. Why would one want to try taxiing with a set parking brake?

E.g. it is not uncommon that SOPs forbid to set the parking brake once you have entered the runway.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Well, at what RPM does it disengage? On average, 1 inch forward should give you around 80% RPM or you can try to find a way to measure one inch the pit. I don't know how, just an idea.
I will check later tonight, I don't recall from memory but from what I get in Wags cold start video, RPM at idle start-up is anywhere between 62 to 80%. So it seems a case of "always 80%" and according to your comment (disconnects at 80%) it makes sense: as it reaches always 80% in idle, it will always disconnect instantly
In my experience the slightest movement forward on the throttle will disengage the parking brake.

I'll create a track later today when I'm back home.

This, as I barely move throttle fwd, P brake goes away.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI8

Here is a track

Caucasus Map

Single player

Starting on the runway

version 2.5.5.36986

parking brake disengages.trk

Seems ok to me.

Is everyone getting same results or different?

To whom it may concern,

Why would one want to try taxiing with a set parking brake?

You wouldn't. But what aircraft do you know that automatically disengages the parking brake? (at all, let alone at a set RPM/throttle setting)

The parking brake is specifically there so you can set it to engage and not have to worry about holding the brakes.

You wouldn't. But what aircraft do you know that automatically disengages the parking brake? (at all, let alone at a set RPM/throttle setting)

The parking brake is specifically there so you can set it to engage and not have to worry about holding the brakes.

That is why you have wheel chocks. It also disengages the parking brake if you turn power switch off. When towing the aircraft, if it gets accidentally disconnected from towing vehicle, you got to set battery switch on battery then parking brake to stop.

To whom it may concern,

That is why you have wheel chocks. It also disengages the parking brake if you turn power switch off. When towing the aircraft, if it gets accidentally disconnected from towing vehicle, you got to set battery switch on battery then parking brake to stop.

Which is hilarious, because you'd better either wear a helmet when you DO flip power to Batt and then hit the Parking-brake switch, or at least brace an arm on something.

Seen a few nasty gashes across the forehead from people who forgot that the aircraft will slam to a stop, but inertia will keep your body going. And the dash is harder than your head by far.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Yep, I "ate combiner glass" before. Did not quite cut me, but it leave a nice lump on my forhead

To whom it may concern,

Hell shadow, how is it on A models. Is it different or the same? Do you think parking brake works accurately in DCS?

To whom it may concern,

Should be the same on the A/B's as on the C's. The brakes will come off at about 80% RPM automatically, because at that point you're getting close to the point where the engine-power starts to overcome the friction of the tires.

So either the brakes come off, or you'll slide with locked wheels and most likely damage the MLG.

It seems to work as designed in DCS, although I don't trust the instruments all that well yet. Don't think that the engine would be too happy with the nozzle being only 40% open at full AB, for example.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

My car disconnects the parking brake when I touch the gas pedal, so why is it so outlandish that a modern multi-million jet can do the same? Of course, the minutiae of whether it should release at 80% when the idle speed is reckoned to be in that range, or whether it releases as soon as the thrust lever moves 1 inch (for the purists - for us metric luddites it's 2.54 cm). It automatically releases when you move the thrust lever - move on!

Alternatively, I could simply ask what the significance of this is when

a. We got the jet less than a week ago, and it is still under development.

b. It has been reported as a possible issue.

Enough said?

• ED Team

According to our info

Advancing the throttle more than 1 inch beyond IDLE should automatically return the switch to ANTI-SKID which releases the parking brake

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My car disconnects the parking brake when I touch the gas pedal

Mine doesn't ...

so why is it so outlandish that a modern multi-million jet can do the same? Of course, the minutiae of whether it should release at 80% when the idle speed is reckoned to be in that range, or whether it releases as soon as the thrust lever moves 1 inch (for the purists - for us metric luddites it's 2.54 cm). It automatically releases when you move the thrust lever
It's not outlandish. What I'm interested in, is how it works in the real jet. As far as I know (and this is ónly based on experience with the other F-16 sim), the parking brake would disengage automatically at (IIRC) ~80% RPM.

This would make sense to me, because if running higher power, you'd risk skidding the jet, with all relevant consequences.

All other jet's we have in DCS with a P-brake, you have to disengage yourself: it doesn't automatically disengage.

Alternatively, I could simply ask what the significance of this is when

a. We got the jet less than a week ago, and it is still under development.

b. It has been reported as a possible issue.

Enough said?

A) I understand that. To add: I'm really enjoying the F-16, (even) in it's current state. I'm not slating it, nor it's development. What I am saying/questioning is: is how it's currently implemented (i.e. at the slightest throttle increase, the P-brake disengages) correct? If so, great! Move on (as you say :) ). If it's not (because it was wrongly misinterpreted, known/WIP, bugged, ...), let ED fix/implement it correctly. If it's already reported/acknowledged/under investigation/WIP: great! Move on, we'll see it in the sim eventually.

If so, I wasn't aware.

B) Ok! Great!

• 2 years later...

I’m sorry to resurrect this thread, but if the Parking Brake doesn’t function while power is not applied, assuming the switch is electrically held, then why doesn’t cold starts begin with the chocks installed? Wouldn’t that be smart to prevent an inadvertent roll away while starting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

16 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

I’m sorry to resurrect this thread, but if the Parking Brake doesn’t function while power is not applied, assuming the switch is electrically held, then why doesn’t cold starts begin with the chocks installed? Wouldn’t that be smart to prevent an inadvertent roll away while starting?

Normally on the ramp or in shelters, there are always chocks installed

So, i think you have a valid point 😊

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

17 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

Request has been made, maybe they will do it in the future:

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that. I just did a post in the bugs section. Maybe that will poke them a bit to think about doing it.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer