[REPORTED]TACAN Band Y Bugged?

Dispatch

No, not bugged. The KC-135 does not have a range element to it's air-to-air TCN. That would be a KC-10 function.

Thanks

Shouldn't that be the other way round? KC-135 should have no bearing info, only DME?

The radial/bearing equipment is the limiting factor in smaller aircraft and as such only DME should be received in pretty much every aircraft except the KC-10.

It's always bugged me as a DCS inaccuracy.

Shouldn't that be the other way round? KC-135 should have no bearing info, only DME?

The radial/bearing equipment is the limiting factor in smaller aircraft and as such only DME should be received in pretty much every aircraft except the KC-10.

It's always bugged me as a DCS inaccuracy.

Yep, backwards, should be range only.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

So this would say clearly that no tanker in DCS can be found with Tacan, as they should transmit only the range, and no bearing?

Also this would say, that the Tomcats Tacan is bugged (as it can get the range and bearing from the tanker on the y- band).

So this would also lead to the thing, that we would need a "Request vector to tanker" option for AWACS.

And why is DME and range shown when switching to x-band on the same channel?

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

In the editor, there always has been an option for the tankers A/A TACAN to enable/disable bearing.

I assume it was included to overcome the fact that the player doesn't have 2 way communication with the tanker and as such can't discuss the rejoin details.

Haven't touch the setting for ages, but besides an aircraft capabilities RL, in DCS it should just follow the options as set in the ME.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

In the editor, there always has been an option for the tankers A/A TACAN to enable/disable bearing.

I assume it was included to overcome the fact that the player doesn't have 2 way communication with the tanker and as such can't discuss the rejoin details.

Haven't touch the setting for ages, but besides an aircraft capabilities RL, in DCS it should just follow the options as set in the ME.

The option in the Editor is itself bugged. The bearing ON/OFF tickbox enables/disables DME(!) and not bearing. A/A Tacan in general needs looking at.

• Like 1

Is the TACAN Band Y working in Viper

:book:

(range indicator) red flagged all the way to tanker.

Y is set for Tanker in advanced wypt

Heard that switch to X, now works correct, for now?

will try this:D

Tried to replicate in the OB: working as it should be for me. (see my TACAN config below)

If you still have issues, do you have a track ?

6bN6PU.jpg

IgpbJl.jpg

The option in the Editor is itself bugged. The bearing ON/OFF tickbox enables/disables DME(!) and not bearing. A/A Tacan in general needs looking at.

Tested this: the setting (currently) doesn't make a difference at all. Looks similar to screenshots above.

Reported.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

• ED Team

Stuka has reported this issue, it is a DCS core issue not just for the viper, I have moved the post to the general bug section.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

but shouldn't the eHSI be in TACAN mode and not NAV mode?

the way you have it, surely it will report the heading and distance to the next steerpoint and not the TACAN signal?

Yeah, you're right.

I took the shot at the wrong moment.

No difference though:

9wGu26.jpg

dUJOta.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Bumping this. 1.5 years since this has been reported and even on 2.7 Open Beta, we still cannot see range or time to intercept of tankers when setting them up in Mission Editor to transmit on Y band. X band works perfectly, even if the tanker's tacan is setup for Y band. 

What's weird is that the default Through The Inferno missions have properly working Y band. I've even spoken to Deadlyfishes via Discord and he's unable to explain how they got it working. Even if you add a new tanker into their default mission, Y band for that new tanker doesn't work while the others do. It's extremely odd. 

Edited by oldmanflan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, oldmanflan said:

Bumping this. 1.5 years since this has been reported and even on 2.7 Open Beta, we still cannot see range or time to intercept of tankers when setting them up in Mission Editor to transmit on Y band. X band works perfectly, even if the tanker's tacan is setup for Y band. 

What's weird is that the default Through The Inferno missions have properly working Y band. I've even spoken to Deadlyfishes via Discord and he's unable to explain how they got it working. Even if you add a new tanker into their default mission, Y band for that new tanker doesn't work while the others do. It's extremely odd. 

2 years on and we seem to have a 'fix' for this. Now no bands work for ranging in A/A mode. Tanker TCN actions default to Bearing mode, but even if forced off (ie range and bearing), the station can only be tuned into in ground mode...

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat