GBU-12's are missing target

Raven434th

I've followed this procedure posted in the bug thread and I'm CONSISTENTLY MISSING THE TARGET BY 100-200 FEET.Same for other player in mission.

procedue:

GBU-12:

Master Arm ON

Select A/G

Select LGB

Release AUTO

MFUZ OFF

EFUZ INST

CODE: **** (of your choice via UFC)

**If designating from your Litening pod, find target:

Make sure to toggle LTD/R to ARM

Make sure TRIG is "boxed" on FLIR DDI

TDC Depress (sets desired target that you have found via Litening pod)

Hold weapon release after release cue starts to drop (around 4 seconds).

Shortly after weapon releases:

Depress the trigger so indication on FLIR DDI goes from LARM to LTD/R (which is how you know the laser is firing). Maintain laser on target without masking from aircraft, remaining onboard ordinance, or terrain.

Boom. Target destroyed or damaged (depending on target and size of LGB).

I've tried this with BOTH holding the trigger and single press for LTD/R. My result is a MISS. Is there an issue with laser guiding on the hornet?

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

No trouble here but 2 questions :

1) "CODE: **** (of your choice via UFC)" Yes but of course the code must match your TGP (1688 by default if you Don't change your TGP laser code) ?

2) Do you attack a Moving target ? If so you have to refresh your "TDC depress" before launching, or the CCRP will be OFF your target because it's actually a static point, so if your target moves and your first "TDC depress" is too long ago, it will be too much OFF of your target and the LGB will never catch the laser.

No trouble here but 2 questions :

1) "CODE: **** (of your choice via UFC)" Yes but of course the code must match your TGP (1688 by default if you Don't change your TGP laser code) ?

2) Do you attack a Moving target ? If so you have to refresh your "TDC depress" before launching, or the CCRP will be OFF your target because it's actually a static point, so if your target moves and your first "TDC depress" is too long ago, it will be too much OFF of your target and the LGB will never catch the laser.

code is 1688 on both weapon and pod...target is static.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

I can't get dcs to make a track file of this mission...but here is the mission. Try to hit the targets at wpt1 with hornet loaded with gbu-12 and target pod.

Dam The Torpedeos.miz

On the 3 targets at WPT1, I had 1 bomb that missed. 4 bombs used.

First I destroyed antenna, then the Tigr, and first bomb on SPK-11 missed. I dropped a second one that did hit.

The track of this is over 7.5Mb, even compressed.

The thing I found funny about this SPK-11 (probably no relevance), is that the point track of flir did lock on the top of the vehicle, not on the center like for exemple the Tigr.

Edited by toutenglisse
Mb not Gb

On the 3 targets at WPT1, I had 1 bomb that missed. 4 bombs used.

First I destroyed antenna, then the Tigr, and first bomb on SPK-11 missed. I dropped a second one that did hit.

The track of this is over 7.5Mb, even compressed.

The thing I found funny about this SPK-11 (probably no relevance), is that the point track of flir did lock on the top of the vehicle, not on the center like for exemple the Tigr.

HMMM...dunno whats going on ,I am able to lock the truck...the weapons track....but in final leg fall 100-200 long.

Quick question...how fast are you going and what is your angle and range to target when the bomb seperates?

Are you climbing?

You can make the bomb miss the laser if you incorrectly loft, release too late, etc.

Not trying to insult or anything, but it is pretty hard to mess up since the laser cone is relatively lenient, but I have tossed bombs over my intended target.

Are you locking the ground "behind" the vehicle, or the ground below the vehicle? Are you masking the pod before impact(I assume not) or otherwise disrupt the lasing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Well the plot thickens cause I decided to try the attack on another target area, and using the same method scored 4 for 4 hits on the targets at the dam...I then switched to another aircraft (as I was out of gbu's) and reattacked the first waypoint target....MISS. So I don't understand what's going on at waypoint 1 that keeps throwing us out of wack.The interesting thing is ,It should be much more difficult to attack the dam then a flat open area such as waypoint1.BUT the simple fact that a 4 for 4 attack say's I'm doing it right.I,m gonna try again today....report back.

Edited by Raven434th

I give up!!!out of 4 weapon releases... 2 misses on waypoint one, 2 hits on dam.

I must say I've had trouble with JDAMS like this.

Same procedure all times, sometimes 100%, others dropping well short. It's as if the GPS coordinates were deliberately set there (but they wern't).

These are on non-moving targets.

I've also accounted for slew angle - with maybe 10 meters off for the long range / lowish altitude (the hits were WAY more than any weird targetting issue).

I'm glad you said this...we've been beating our heads against a wall regarding this issue. I gotta wonder if it's not the type of target that's causing the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having major issues with LGBs as well, most if not all have been overshooting. I'm definitely not lofting them, as one person suggested, as I am level when dropping them. That is when they decide to release because I've been having the bombs get hung up when trying to release in auto mode. Before anyone asks the release quantity was set properly to 1.

I did read a thread somewhere saying it had to do with waypoint being selected and then deselecting it is a workaround. I'm not sure how true that is but I'm going to try it tonight.

It's odd that I'm not having issues with LGBs with any other aircraft such as the F-16C & A-10C.

I've followed this procedure posted in the bug thread and I'm CONSISTENTLY MISSING THE TARGET BY 100-200 FEET.Same for other player in mission.

procedue:

GBU-12:

Master Arm ON

Select A/G

Select LGB

Release AUTO

MFUZ OFF

EFUZ INST

CODE: **** (of your choice via UFC)

**If designating from your Litening pod, find target:

Make sure to toggle LTD/R to ARM

Make sure TRIG is "boxed" on FLIR DDI

TDC Depress (sets desired target that you have found via Litening pod)

Hold weapon release after release cue starts to drop (around 4 seconds).

Shortly after weapon releases:

Depress the trigger so indication on FLIR DDI goes from LARM to LTD/R (which is how you know the laser is firing). Maintain laser on target without masking from aircraft, remaining onboard ordinance, or terrain.

Boom. Target destroyed or damaged (depending on target and size of LGB).

I've tried this with BOTH holding the trigger and single press for LTD/R. My result is a MISS. Is there an issue with laser guiding on the hornet?

Looks like my "quick guide" that I posted in another thread trying to help another who was having issues hitting their target(s) in the Hornet.....

Aside from the above guidance - if you are a relatively large slant angle, you want to make sure to target the bottom of your desired impact point. I have noticed that some buildings - the weapon likes to "pass" thru, say, a comms tower - or sometimes another type of building.

Currently (as of the most recent release of open beta version) - something has gone amiss with the employment and delivery of A/G weapons in the Hornet (not sure about other aircraft). So currently - there might be more issues going on that can lead to some faulty or unnecessary troubleshooting. However, at the time of your original post - things were functioning as expected.

1. So makes me wonder what slant angle was being achieved or desired - possibly point of designation for the TGP's laser?

2. Do you possibly have the ""WYPT" boxed on the HSI or the SA Page? If so - deselect that as it has seemed to interfere with proper desired release and impact of A/G ordinance in the Hornet (for myself and some others).

Away from home base, so unable to see the track file or provide any other assistance currently, aside from keyboard warrior bit.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

It looks like having the WYPT box un-selected while bombing fixes the issue for whatever reason.

Now, if my bombs would reliably release. Idk what the issue is all the sudden but the bombs have having issues releasing. Yes master arm is on, A/G mode is selected, target is set for an auto run, yes quantity is 1, and mult is 1.

It took me roughly 10-11 passes to release three bombs. I couldnt get the fourth bomb to release before my fuel ran out. This is a recent issue as of this last patch. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this.

• ED Team
It looks like having the WYPT box un-selected while bombing fixes the issue for whatever reason.

Now, if my bombs would reliably release. Idk what the issue is all the sudden but the bombs have having issues releasing. Yes master arm is on, A/G mode is selected, target is set for an auto run, yes quantity is 1, and mult is 1.

It took me roughly 10-11 passes to release three bombs. I couldnt get the fourth bomb to release before my fuel ran out. This is a recent issue as of this last patch. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this.

Release problems are know and we are working on a fix.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Release problems are know and we are working on a fix.

thanks

Just came from that thread about the release problems. Thank you for the heads up CM. Hopefully we'll see a hotfix so we can get back to bombing. :-)

Do we know if the LGB lase issue is a bug or are A/G weapons meant to be employed without WYPT enabled? Or is this problem not being experienced by most people?

I know this problem was reported earlier but seemed to be fixed in the beginning of September, now it seems to be back though. I would like to note this has all been in multiplayer.

• ED Team
Just came from that thread about the release problems. Thank you for the heads up CM. Hopefully we'll see a hotfix so we can get back to bombing. :-)

Do we know if the LGB lase issue is a bug or are A/G weapons meant to be employed without WYPT enabled? Or is this problem not being experienced by most people?

I know this problem was reported earlier but seemed to be fixed in the beginning of September, now it seems to be back though. I would like to note this has all been in multiplayer.

As far as I am aware you should not box waypoint, I could be wrong. You would box TGT to use it for a target obviously. If I am using TGP I do not box personally. I will try and find out.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just a screenshot to show the result. I hope for a fix this December.

Thanks to the team.

Track : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G95f9dz5100zfLhVSUQ1HYzig3dycB37

I was thinking about a reflexion of the laser illuminated by the target, so I attack them from the other side (and also because the FLIR screen is readible, he!)

Track 2 : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_8CW5QVjEPKKIEtBaLX4wqC_E9eas9H

Same result : the first bomb always fall next to the target, the second bomb hit the ground at the same position.

Now, question : is 21000ft AGL too high for a laser to illuminate correctly ? I just tried at 15000ft AGL and have the same result.

Thanks

Image1.png.fa074caa2ffe7fe070d3705996ba93bc.png

Edited by vctpil
Question

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

As far as I am aware you should not box waypoint, I could be wrong. You would box TGT to use it for a target obviously. If I am using TGP I do not box personally. I will try and find out.

Correct, you should not box waypoint when making an attack run while using the Litening Pod. SOP should be to unbox WYPT OSB if previously selected, prior to initiating attack run.

Hi,

Just a screenshot to show the result. I hope for a fix this December.

Thanks to the team.

Track : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G95f9dz5100zfLhVSUQ1HYzig3dycB37

I was thinking about a reflexion of the laser illuminated by the target, so I attack them from the other side (and also because the FLIR screen is readible, he!)

Track 2 : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_8CW5QVjEPKKIEtBaLX4wqC_E9eas9H

Same result : the first bomb always fall next to the target, the second bomb hit the ground at the same position.

Now, question : is 21000ft AGL too high for a laser to illuminate correctly ? I just tried at 15000ft AGL and have the same result.

Thanks

Typical detect range is 15nm for laser spot in DCS, and the altitude shown on your FLIR display is not outside the parameters of acceptable. Making the assumption that you have input a matching laser code for the LGBs and designated the target via TDC depress......

Question 1 - are you placing the laser spot at the base of the vehicle, or directly on the vehicle (say the turret of the tank)?

There is, and has been an issue of weapons not hitting the target due to the laser actually passing through the target (vehicle/building).

Question 2 - are you lasing prior to releasing the weapon, or immediately upon release? If so, good practice is to release the weapon and then fire the laser. From higher altitude, sometimes up to 5 seconds after release.

Trying to assist, as currently the LGB's are working as intended for me on the Hornet (among others).

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria