Question about the F-14 throttle and general fighter lingo

S. Low

I don't think I have this "certain" manual. But I'm American, if it's a public de-classified document I should be able to find it.

What you describe makes sense and if it's modeled in game would account for what appears to be animation and engine response not corresponding to throttle markings and diagram.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

So I discussed this at length with a very helpful fellow on discord and after reviewing everything he decided that its most likely that the in-game throttle was modeled purposely to have the in-game mil power occur higher up the throttle path and afterburner start after "max" line to assist with using standard hotas equipment as opposed to the real thing or high end equipment.

I wonder if IronMike could confirm that the in-game throttle was designed this way and purposely doesn't match the diagram travel path?

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

So I discussed this at length with a very helpful fellow on discord and after reviewing everything he decided that its most likely that the in-game throttle was modeled purposely to have the in-game mil power occur higher up the throttle path and afterburner start after "max" line to assist with using standard hotas equipment as opposed to the real thing or high end equipment.

I wonder if IronMike could confirm that the in-game throttle was designed this way and purposely doesn't match the diagram travel path?

I agree. That’s sort of what I was thinking in lines of a DCS limitation. So all-in-all, it’s not correctly modeled, but for good reason. You can try PM IronMike, but I did see him posting something about his box being full. Are you on Facebook? Might try going that route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Looks exactly as in HB's F-14 to me:

That's interesting! So the function of the sim throttle is exactly correct. Mil power is near the end of the travel path, and the 3 stages of AB are in the short area towards the top end of the travel path (after detent). Cool!

So, back to the original original point: Neither the diagram on page 37 of the manual, nor the markings on the in-game throttle, reflect this throttle/engine behavior. Why?

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Probably because if you are flying it IRL you don't care, so the engineer puts something on there but no one really notices too much. Sounds a bit glib but day 1 someone will brief and say ok the idle cut off gate has finger lifts , for burner you push through the 1st gate and combat is the second gate. You may look at the markings day one but probably never again, notice in the video he describes the throttle ranges while moving the throttles , he never looks at the marking or anything it's all just muscle memory.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Regarding the video and the real throttle, there is a physical detent between at the idle position and the Mil position, so your muscle memory I think is a bit easier given that you have a physical stop. Plus you have a real aircraft giving you real vibrations and acceleration to figure out where your throttle is located.

But that's all just an aside. I don't need to use the markings on the throttle to fly. I just need to know why they aren't accurate.

Like I said, I'd like to know from a firsthand source for sure if the engineers marked "mil" power haphazardly because none of the rest of the switchology in that cockpit that I can see is done without deliberation

Edit: and I do apologize as I realize this is sorta nitpicky. But if an engineer sent me a drawing of a washer that was the whole width of the page, but dimensioned it at like .125", I'd have to verify why his drawing looks so much different proportionally to his intended measurement just in case there wasn't an error somewhere.

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I had posited this before briefly, that perhaps the language was different in the late 60s /early 70s when the tomcat was manufactured and that's why "MI" power is labeled as an apparent range from idle to afterburner.

This unsourced post on the etiology of the term "military power" seemingly supports this idea: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/44832/what-is-the-origin-of-the-term-military-power#44834

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the throttle of F14A :

IN WIN D-Frame Red - EKWB - Asus ROG PG348Q - Asus Maximus XI Formula - i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC 11Go - DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 64Go 3000Mhz - Windows 10 64 - x2 SSD PCIe M.2 NvMe Samsung 970 Pro (1To RAID 0) - Virpil V.F.X Grip and MongoosT 50CM2 Throttle - Thrustmaster TPR - HP Reverb