Squelch Turned on in Default State

Steve Gee

Would it be possible to have the squelch knobs in the ON position for the two squelch settings?

When the engine starts, you're greeted with an ungawdly loud rushing noise that's going to blow a speaker for those of us using surround systems cranked up.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

According to the manual for the real aircraft, putting the Squelch ON is a task performed by the pilot during the pre-start procedure .. so, it is realistic.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Then it would be something that needs to be shown, and instructed, in the Startup training mission then.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Be aware that the before entering/ startup and verify checklists do not directly say you to SET switches, they basically tell you to check the position. A few examples of switches that are 99,9% already in the correct setting are:

Probe heat switch - OFF : pilot should select Probe heat off after landing. but when he forgets forgets to turn it off he will get a probe heat light in about 2 minutes. His action will be to turn it off... so it is already in the correct place

ALL FLCS switches... just check if everything is already set as it should..

Fuel Master switch- OPEN : this switch should already be open and guarded, so again just a check

Eng feed, Air refuel, Main power - OFF..duhhhh….en much more.

So most of the checks is just to verify switches are in the correct position.

What surprised me was the following:

A lot of switches (including the SQL switches) will never be touched after landing and shutdown. It is no problem and safes the other pilots time when those switches are already in the correct setting for the next flight: Switches that normally never get touched by a pilot after landing and before flight (only checked):

SQL switches, COM 1 and COM 2 switches will remain on, UHF radio will remain in Both, and in preset. Master ARM switch most of the time will remain in Simulate.

So the above switches may be in the positions mentioned during a cold start. Other switches that are not in the correct setting during cold start:

CNI switch should be in Backup instead of UFC

The Oxygen demand regulator is switched to OFF and 100% after landing so this should be in theis setting before startup.

Turning your comms to squelch is part of the pre-start procedures.

It's part of the before entering cockpit procedure. The procedure has the word "set" but it is meant as adjective instead of a verb. It's not something you do but confirm that it is set. In fact no part of the before entering cockpit procedure is explicitly directive: every item is passive inspection. Obviously if any item isn't in the correct position it may be that the pilot should change it.

Ejection seat - Safe

Canopy jettison handle - Secure

Speed brake switch - Center

Fuel master switch - Master

Engine control switch - Norm

Audio panels - Set

Alternate gear handle - In

This is a list of controls and their state to verify, not a directive for action. The confusion comes from the multiple parts of speech of the word "set" and how the "set state" is further amplified after the colon.

The mode knobs to SQL also appears in the cockpit interior check procedure again reinforcing the idea that this is a check and verify item, not a normal required action. After all the knobs were confirmed to be in SQL before the pilot even strapped in so there is no reason that they should be in any position other than SQL during the strapped in check.

By my reckoning the knobs should be set SQL when the pilot finds the airplane in a similar manner that the pilot finds the ENG CONT switch in PRI. You check that it is, but it already is.

Or you can read the real startup checklist instructions and see that nothing is perfect

Or, ED can go back and make sure the Hornet's switches are all in the proper startup checklist procedures, since nothing is perfect, if that's the answer.

This is a Wishlist section, is it not? It was my wish and really was no need, or reason, for you to come and tell me I can't have it, RL startup checklist be damned.

:)

I'd actually love it if there was some way that the game would remember the last position of your switches on shutdown, and set them to it the next cold start. (The logistics of that alone are already making my head swim). But just something so we dont always get in the exact same plane, something's things aren't set peefect.

I'd actually love it if there was some way that the game would remember the last position of your switches on shutdown, and set them to it the next cold start. (The logistics of that alone are already making my head swim). But just something so we dont always get in the exact same plane, something's things aren't set peefect.

That could actually be fairly straightforward.

As soon as you 'exit' the aircraft, the cockpit state is saved in a .ini file (or whatever...) and reloaded as soon as you get into that same aircraft (if it's set to cold & dark obviously).