How to create a whole new Kneeboard

williehayesjr

I realized that after flying DCS for many years, I have never used my knee board , except for testing it. How can I replace ALL the knee board content, with stuff I can use, like a list of procedures:Startup, Bomb dropping, etc. (I have this laminated list of procedures, on my desk, near the computer, I used when flying)? I don't want to erase the stock knee board content, but I do want that data placed in another folder so that it won't come up when I press Shift/K or K. What I want to come up, when I press Shift/k, are a list of procedures like startup, and bomb set up. Is this at all possible?

How can I replace ALL the knee board content, with stuff I can use, like a list of procedures:Startup, Bomb dropping, etc.

I don’t believe that it can be done just like you want ... the kneeboard is basically a set of image files that you can browse within the plane, the problem is that these images came from several different places:

The Mission file can have a kneeboard.

The aircraft module can have a default kneeboard (not all do)

The Map module can have its kneeboard (intended for VAD charts)

The player can have a kneeboard on /saved games/dcs/kneeboard

Finally, the in-game kneeboard has a Map chart to help you at navigation.

So, replacing all of this in order to have a single custom one is not easy. What I would love is for ED to place a kneeboard shortcut pointing to the beginning of each of these contents, that would ease a lot the use of large kneeboards.

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

:thumbup:

I use Kneeboard Builder to list all my procedural docs for learning the aircraft ( I use Chuck's Guides), and it is an awesome program and a great help to me in learning especially whilst in VR. Never have to take the headset off. I have them broken down into several categories.

I finally am now properly learning the ins and outs of the Hornet and look forward to flying combat in it very soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Do all these kneeboard programs clear the integrity check in MP?

I stopped using kneeboard builder several years ago because it didn't.

The kneeboard itself does not trigger the IC since it's just a bunch of images on your saved games folder ... however, the Kneeboard Builder had a facility to relocate the position and size of the kneeboard, and that feature does impact the IC .. as long as you dont use that feature you will be OK.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I realized that after flying DCS for many years, I have never used my knee board , except for testing it. How can I replace ALL the knee board content, with stuff I can use, like a list of procedures:Startup, Bomb dropping, etc. (I have this laminated list of procedures, on my desk, near the computer, I used when flying)? I don't want to erase the stock knee board content, but I do want that data placed in another folder so that it won't come up when I press Shift/K or K. What I want to come up, when I press Shift/k, are a list of procedures like startup, and bomb set up. Is this at all possible?

I create my kneeboard by using an imaging software and a screen grabber.

1. If I want to create my own, I go into Photoshop, create my list or whatever I want on that page, then save it as a *.png file to my clipboard located here:

C:\Users\user name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet

You can create where you want the file to go in the stack by the way you name it. I learned by trial and error. Quick to pick up on.

Of course, the remaining files in the kneeboard by ED will still be there for that particular airplane you are flying.

2. Or you can simply use a screen grabbing tool, say if someone created a file or pic you wanted to use but didn't want to have to type it all out again or edit it.

My mileage, yours may vary.

Capture.thumb.PNG.3ddc6e79545f09c2564235ed8ff244d3.PNG

Edited by captflyby

The kneeboard itself does not trigger the IC since it's just a bunch of images on your saved games folder ... however, the Kneeboard Builder had a facility to relocate the position and size of the kneeboard, and that feature does impact the IC .. as long as you dont use that feature you will be OK.

It was the KB Builder's relocation and size of KB that I liked the program for...too bad.

It was the KB Builder's relocation and size of KB that I liked the program for...too bad.

The main function of KB is converting from PDF to page images, the relocation/size was just a secondary feature, as the default DCS values are good enough:

iQ0UPq8.jpg

http://www.dcskneeboardbuilder.com/

There’s a you tube video on how to use it.

There are tutorials on the page I linked.

I use this App, go for it, easy and useful if you like custom KB and it's an easy way to manage them.

however, the Kneeboard Builder had a facility to relocate the position and size of the kneeboard, and that feature does impact the IC .. as long as you dont use that feature you will be OK.

Setting kneeboard positions in Kneeboard Builder does pass IC checks. I just tried it after the latest Open Beta update and it still works. If you find otherwise, please let me know.