Stuttering Valve Index vs Reverb vs Rift S

pappavis

The Valve Index makes DCS stutter bigtime. nearly unplayable, even on DCS' default VR-settings.

I've tried a Rift S, HP Reverb and DCS runs butter smooth. Even on busy MP servers no stuttering.

My other VR games runs perfect with a Valve Index, only DCS that stutters.

Suprisingly well the Rift S and Reverb performs on my ole' <>2015-vintage (used hardware) i7-4770 16gb with eVGA Geforce 980 GTX. You guys probably dont notice that as nobidy runs such low specs as me.. and yea an upgrade is on the cards.

Is SteamVR + Index really such a resource hog?

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

What are your steam settings with the index? I've found you have a lot more choice in settings with steam/index then any other headset, which can be good and bad. If you have your super sampling/screen hz or other setting to high it can cause problems.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

Seems like you are comparing SteamVR motion smoothing with WMR reprojection and Oculus ASW.

What refresh are you running the Index and is motion smoothing turned on? My experience with Reverb & Index was very similar performance wise.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

SteamVR with the Index;

- all defaults selected, 90Mhz refresh. As it was with HTC Vive

==> nearly unplayable

SteamVR with WMR

- all defaults selected, DCS set to 200% resolution.

==> Note supersmooth no stuttering, works perfect.

Oculus Home

- Uninstalled it. When i finished testing the Rift S.

Above mentioned are on my i7-4790 with Nvidea GTX 980.

Gfx card settings are all to default. Seems like SteamVR doesnt like my rig setup.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

980GTX isn't going to push the Index. Period. If the S or Reverb are working well with the 980 that's awesome. No reason to change. To get decent results with the Index you'd need a minimum of a 1080Ti and 7700K. Decent. Not good or great.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

• 3 weeks later...
980GTX isn't going to push the Index. Period. If the S or Reverb are working well with the 980 that's awesome. No reason to change. To get decent results with the Index you'd need a minimum of a 1080Ti and 7700K. Decent. Not good or great.
What is the reason though. Isn't Reverb highest resolution out of these. Doesn't make sense that Index is the most resouse hungry.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Failure is the mother of all success.

What is the reason though. Isn't Reverb highest resolution out of these. Doesn't make sense that Index is the most resouse hungry.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The problem is actual pixels. Reverb and Rift S have more native than the Index and do not require much supersampling whether it be Pixel Density in DCS, DCS application supersampling in SteamVR or cranking up custom resolution in the SteamVR video tab.

The Index has a lower pixel count/resolution natively requiring us to crank up one of the above or a combination of 2. Example: I either use Custom resolution in SteamVR at 204% and the other 2 at 100%. Or, DCS application at 138% and SteamVR custom resolution at 148%.

Supersampling is the ass kicker of the Index. It is not as clear as the S or the Reverb in the sweet spot. It does however have a mechanical IPD adjustment for guys like me and a wider FOV and the sweet spot while not as clear is most of the FOV.

Simply put, having to use SS is what makes the Index a resource hog.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

The problem is actual pixels. Reverb and Rift S have more native than the Index and do not require much supersampling whether it be Pixel Density in DCS, DCS application supersampling in SteamVR or cranking up custom resolution in the SteamVR video tab.

The Index has a lower pixel count/resolution natively requiring us to crank up one of the above or a combination of 2. Example: I either use Custom resolution in SteamVR at 204% and the other 2 at 100%. Or, DCS application at 138% and SteamVR custom resolution at 148%.

Supersampling is the ass kicker of the Index. It is not as clear as the S or the Reverb in the sweet spot. It does however have a mechanical IPD adjustment for guys like me and a wider FOV and the sweet spot while not as clear is most of the FOV.

Simply put, having to use SS is what makes the Index a resource hog.

Wait doesn’t the Valve Index have a larger native per eye (thus more total) pixel/resolution than the Rift S? 1440 x 1600 per eye (Index) vs 1280 x 1440 (Rift S)?

Reverb, based on my understanding is indeed larger than both though at 2160 x 2160

That was my understanding at least - or are the some technical details that make it a bit more confusing that? (Serious question I very well could be confused)

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

You're right, the Rift S does have a slightly lower resolution. I don't know the technicalities but the Rift S has a sweet spot where everything is very clear but when you move your eyes it's goes blurry. The Index doesn't have a super clear center but is generally clear almost edge to edge. You'd need to ask someone more informed than me. My previous explanation is correct though regarding the Index power needs. It takes higher amount of supersampling to get really clear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're right, the Rift S does have a slightly lower resolution. I don't know the technicalities but the Rift S has a sweet spot where everything is very clear but when you move your eyes it's goes blurry. The Index doesn't have a super clear center but is generally clear almost edge to edge. You'd need to ask someone more informed than me. My previous explanation is correct though regarding the Index power needs. It takes higher amount of supersampling to get really clear.

Right on makes sense. I’ve used both and find the clarity better on the Index - especially in my case because I definitely need the IPD adjustment. you’re right though it seems the Index requires more horsepower/tweaking to get acceptable perf. Not bashing the Rift S at all... it works and works well, I’m just on the outside of the recommended IPD range so I need something that allows adjustment...

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

LOl I''ve solved it.

I upgraded my computer bigtime with i9-9900k + RTX 2070 video card,, then sold my Index. Now using only the reverb and running DCS in HIGH settings super smooth. With that setup the Index would occasionally still stutter. WTF??!!?

Now.. Im happy puppy with the Reverb :pilotfly:

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]