Is F14 worth buying?

kaoqumba

Its the only module that I dream about, 100% worth the price.

Frankly, I'd be happy paying double

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Buy it. Its the only module I fly, nothing feels like it, I own the Hornet, FC3, Mirage, etc. Lemme tell ya, the F-14 in terms of what you'll experience is like nothing else in DCS, its very much an easy to learn, hard to master type of plane. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This module changes the DCS landscape. I own pretty much all the modules and nothing feels more immersive than the Tomcat. I did an AAR with F-18 the other day and as i passed behind the tanker and didn't shudder or thrown one wing up I realized how much you are losing and how satisfying is to fly the F-14 properly and how much fun and challenging is. I spent 2 hours in F-16 after the release and put it nicely aside.

In F-14 you can't see crap outside, you have to move in the chair to look outside. It runs from under you when you push it too hard, Jester will drive you mad sometimes, but man ohh man, when you do it right it feels so damn good.

So, despite all the positive answers on this thread, I think that this is a very complex issue. Many different factors need to be considered and balanced. Fortunately, though, there is a very helpful decision-making flowchart you can follow that integrates all the issues and using it will lead you to the absolutely 100% correct and infallible choice to make in your case.

Here is the flowchart. I suggest you work your way carefully through it as it guides you, and I am sure you will be happy with the result.

b7BlKTD.png

So, despite all the positive answers on this thread, I think that this is a very complex issue. Many different factors need to be considered and balanced. Fortunately, though, there is a very helpful decision-making flowchart you can follow that integrates all the issues and using it will lead you to the absolutely 100% correct and infallible choice to make in your case.

Here is the flowchart. I suggest you work your way carefully through it as it guides you, and I am sure you will be happy with the result.

b7BlKTD.png

Indeed, the same decision path I followed too! (nice! :thumbup:)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

There is just something about the Tomcat. My logical brain knows the F/A-18 it’s more flexible, more forgiving with the FBW, more modern, and has a weapon for every job (JDAM, JSOW, HARM, AIM-120, etc), and yet I struggle to put it down on the carrier, end up fighting the radar, and just don’t feel connected to the aircraft. The Tomcat on the other hand feels alive, yes I can’t run the targeting pod alone, A2G weapons are types are limited, and the accuracy is only ok, it shakes and gets roll reversal at high AOA. But I’d rather fly it any day, I find it much easier to land on the carrier, and you truly feel like you’re part of the whole weapon system. I think the better question is if you have Tomcat would you buy the Hornet, and for me the answer is probably not. I should probably clarify that I’m not picking on the Hornet, it’s a great module and capable of killing almost any type of target you can imagine, I just find the Tomcat a more rewarding and enjoyable plane to fly.

Edited by RallyNH

Tomcat makes something right , hard to say how they got it so alive.

Its awesome in VR

Hornet i find sterile.

So yes, tomcat is so quality product that it really leaves all others to behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im a Tomcat-fan and like the module very much.

But its FM needs mastering. With the Tomcat its more about flying whereas with the Hornet is more about electronics since the flying is so simple. Also the flying of the Hornet is no fun, its kind of what I imagine pleasing the missis with five condoms on! :lol:

The different A/G-weapns of the Hornet are great but the Tomcat is overall much more interesting to fly.

Cant compare it to other modules though;I do own a few, but have only little time on them.

A definitve "buy" from me!

Well. I guess I'm the only one so far who regrets buying the Tomcat. Not because of Heatblur, it's a top quality product no doubt.

But to me, it's old, very old, in SP jester is not fitting in my workflow.

If you like modern planes, with the most modern weapons, modern avionics, controllable workflow, then this is not the module for you.

Have to say that the Tomcat community calling FBW kiddieplanes wasn't helping for me to like this plane either. Because it's utter BS, of course.

I'm gonna guess I'll get a lot of flak for this posting, because it's almost a sin not to like the Tomcat. I guess I just bought it because of romantic Top Gun memories but flying it doesn't do it for me.

:)

I don’t agree with the posts that the F18s F16s feel horrible to fly in comparison to the F14. I find the F18 really nice to fly, very stable and great pitch authority at low speed, the F16 as well, lethal in air to air and fun to fly. F14 is a different experience, in some ways it can feel a bit clumsy probably because it wings rock and it shudders, this is a testament to the developers and I take the words of the Tomcat flyers giving feedback on the flight model saying it’s really good.

But even though the F14 can maybe feel a bit more dated or lacking in FBW stability, I would in no way say it is out of its depth against more modern opposition, for me personally I have more success with the Tomcat in air combat in terms of enemies destroyed and survivability than any other aeroplane in DCS. I feel this is a combination of factors such as long range missiles, Great situational awareness with a RIO and datalink from awacs, great speed which can get you out of trouble, great range and levels of fuel enabling you to open the throttles when needed. It’s a competent aeroplane in my opinion.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I don’t agree with the posts that the F18s F16s feel horrible to fly in comparison to the F14.

I agree. One should compare the feelings of the F-16 & F/A-18 with the one of the Mirage 2000. FBW planes are to be compared with FBW planes.

for me personally I have more success with the Tomcat in air combat in terms of enemies destroyed and survivability than any other aeroplane in DCS. I feel this is a combination of factors such as long range missiles, Great situational awareness with a RIO and datalink from awacs, great speed which can get you out of trouble, great range and levels of fuel enabling you to open the throttles when needed. It’s a competent aeroplane in my opinion.

Same. Even when things come to a knife fight in a telephone booth. Which shouldn't happen but hell, let's have fun.

I don’t agree with the posts that the F18s F16s feel horrible to fly in comparison to the F14. I find the F18 really nice to fly ...

You have misread the posts. "Nice" not in terms of how well the plane flies. But rather how nice it is to fly in terms of fun/satisfaction. The F-18's (and to a larger extent?) the F-16's computer definitely flies the plane "nicely" for you, and probably a lot nicer for an new or beginner pilot, picking up a lot of slack and making up for shortcomings. But that is why it feels relatively antiseptic/on-rails compared to the F-14, and that is why it does not feel so satisfying.

But rather how nice it is to fly in terms of fun/satisfaction. The F-18's (and to a larger extent?) the F-16's computer definitely flies the plane "nicely" for you, and probably a lot nicer for an new or beginner pilot, picking up a lot of slack and making up for shortcomings. But that is why it feels relatively antiseptic/on-rails compared to the F-14, and that is why it does not feel so satisfying.

Two different worlds... I've been flying the F-16 a huge lot with another simulator, "It Which Cannot Be Named Here". While being different, a bit less aseptic, the Hornet in DCS was an easy one for me. I've been flying warbirds as well, so even if I had to work, I felt good with the Tomcat. And now, believe it or not: I'm able to refuel a Tomcat or a Harrier without any problem, whatever the tanker, by night and day. But I became strictly unable to catch the freaking basket with the Hornet! :doh:

When given the decision to either join the Hornet sqn in 132nd or begin the arduous task of creating a Tomcat sqn from scratch, writing all the training for Pilots and RIO's, the SOP and figuring out the interoperability in Air to Air between airframes and puzzling how the AIM-54 fitted in, I leapt at the chance to do the hard work and pick the Tomcat over the Hornet.

The challenge is just one part of the attraction. If things are always challenging, they hold my interest. I know I'll never master anything to do with the Tomcat and so I'll continue to be entertained.

I have no idea what it feels like to fly an F-14 Tomcat, but if someone said, which plane out of all of the DCS modules do you want to race like you stole it, I'd pick the Tomcat every time. The weight and inertia of the thing is conveyed through the simulation. The FBW's, I don't _hate_ them, I just think of them as tools that have a purpose, that I can use to fix a problem in a multiplayer mission. The Tomcat I think of as something I love and I want to make it work for everything I do in DCS. "Helicopter mission"? Right, can I take my Tomcat and flat spin it instead?

In multiplayer, having someone in the back seat to write down the 9 line or handle the ATC, discuss tactics or the weather, is amazing in DCS. A Wingman is cool, but a RIO is something else. I feel bad for the people that are unable to play it to it's full capacity in Multiplayer, it's just an amazing feeling every time. The Tomcat still has wow factor for me six months later. I understand people want XYZ, or to be the 'best', or to have it simple. It's actually easier to land than the FBW's, it's really stable, acts more like a plane that wants to fly, tells you when you are doing bad things. As for combat, if you have a good RIO with you, you have nothing to fear and the longest reach in the sim. For air to ground, it's a bit old, again, with a RIO and LANTIRN, you can achieve pinpoint targetting and testing CAS last night we could get a new mission and be hot on the next lap. And the fuel and vul times you can achieve are insane, we laugh at the Hornet pilots :). It's the delightful mix of simple and complex, Hard and easy, old and new, best and best.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

IMO, I think its currently the best module in DCS by a pretty long margin. I don't fly it a ton, mainly because I do A/G solo and for me that isn't its role, I'll certainly try it when jester can do lantrin things. Its fun as hell in A/A mode though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I love this aircraft because of the quality of the model. Not just the flight model which is fun but the whole package. The weathered and used cockpit, the rattling on the edge of the envelope. The wonderful noise and animation of the missiles. Jester and his little witty comments.

The 14 was out for an hour when it was released for Pre-Purchase. I bought it within the first hour. I have not been disappointed with the module. Needs some things working. It's not complete but, it released more complete than other modules i've spent money on.

WIN10-64 HOME Ryzen9 3900x 4.0GHZ, 32GB DDR4, RX6800xt, 1TSSD  Reverb G2, F-14 Simpit (WIP)

Virpil Collective 60 head, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, TM MFDs, 5 Leo Bodnar boards.