Hornet Development - Today's OB Update - whats your thoughts?

Hawkeye_UK

Keep in mind that you save 15 $ for every early access you buy. 2 $ is the average monthly salary in North Korea. So there is a lot to of money to be saved!

dear leader, what a wonderful analogy.... (as I whip out my pencil/paper, and scribe away feverishly...) ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

it's one thing to look forward to your takeout food but it's another to constantly require your gf to post an update that she's coming back with the food every 2 minutes

we know the fa-18 updates are coming. they have to come because it is literally The Product.

if youre a person that needs constant reassurance, that is a personal problem, not ed's problem.

Sure, but that's not what occurred here. OP thanked ED for the update info, said he was happy to wait. In response he got, well, smart ass cynicism. Substituting a strawman that requires "constant reassurance" for someone that was thanking ED for the info drop isn't persuasive.

And fwiw, gf is slower than ED... so when she got that general tso I am frequently texting "wtf are you?" and "on your way?"

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Certain (a) mod can at times have an attitude or cynicism I don’t agree with, perhaps consider some attribution else ppl might think you’re the same way

Or not. Regardless, hopefully my post explained why people look forward to things... whether they be radar functions or Chinese takeout

Jesus dude... almost deserves the two weeks response, but I’m in a good mood today. Neither feature is “close.” AG radar is likely to be a trickle of features, like AA, with modes that rely on drawing geometry at long distances (SAR & DBS Modes) likely next year (from what I’ve heard). No idea on atflir, but litening II atp irl on a cold clear day can discriminate infantry weapons and read license plates at belong jet noice ranges (~20nm slant range), until the game engine can match that performance, other than loadout options, I’m not sure what we gain from it. I don’t think we are getting auto-track of moving objects, multiple target designations, or most of the more advanced datalink from real pod given how other things in game are handled. AA slave is cool but more of a toy than tactically relevant.

You responded like I was asking you directly, which I was not unless your on the ED design team assigned these projects. Couldn't care about what mood you are in today. Get over yourself.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

Still nothning new for the Hornet....sad. :(

Big cry boi :cry:

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

My thoughts?

When the Hornet was released back in the day, it rained updates and fixes. Week after week, frantic pace. This then slows down over time and eventually we have reached the update pace we are seeing now. But there is no foul play, its just the nature of the development progress. The first batch of updates were probably already in the test branch at the time of the Hornet release, and after that its a lot of low hanging fruits and quick fixes. And there are many too choose from, so they can go with many quick fixes and additions and save the heavy for later, which they have and are. And that is where we are now. The updates will become fewer and fewer and wider and wider apart.

The Hornet is very functional, not finished by all means, but its certainly combat effective. So its not like no update, or a few update will be game stopping, and I wasnt expecting much last time and this time, due to the Viper release - its just one week since that released.

You see no panic, anger or disappointment here. I will enjoy the Hornet in its current state, its future state, and appreciate the updates and new features when they arrive, in their own time.

And the above you will see on the Viper too, just more compressed time wise. Todays patch had a lot of low hanging stuff, which was probably already in the hand of the testers when the Viper released too, and the next couple of updates will be frequent. But thats not a sign of the Hornet having 2nd prio, but a sign of the Hornet being 1½ years ahead in development.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

My thoughts?

When the Hornet was released back in the day, it rained updates and fixes. Week after week, frantic pace....

SNIP

...But thats not a sign of the Hornet having 2nd prio, but a sign of the Hornet being 1½ years ahead in development.

Very well said, there will be more content that comes with further development. We've been given zero idea for the timeline that ED intends for the Hornet to come to a full release, it could be years before that happens. That's not a bad thing, just means with each passing week and month we'll be getting new toys to play with.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Certainly the weekend news was an improvement given my last post on the subject (although don't understand why it wasn't posted in the F18 specific forum also) - my criticism is that the last post on this subject was closed by BigNewy ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251027 ) for some reason and therefore didn't allow any further feedback from the community. It did make me feel quite skeptical on whether the feedback was indeed welcomed as the issue certainly wasn't resolved and thought at the time the response of "when we have an update for you we will let you know" was shockingly poor, a lesson in how not to deal with PR.

For me the best product update / customer relations I've seen recently from any of the community manager's is Heatblur with this ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251618 ). ED could / should lead by example given its their intellectual property however its often not the case it would seem and refuse to get drawn into milestone discussions. I do believe it isn't much for the community to ask for a roadmap and an approximation of timescales for that to be completed along the lines of what quarter they expect to complete - surely they must have an internal project management procedure for this, its just they choose not to share. I hold by my original statement that ED's approach in 2019 with the hornet development has been detrimental to sales with numerous people not buying into Viper EA due to poor communication on the hornet development. The communication since July has been frankly as clear as mud and non existent.

I stated at the time i was skeptical of ED's commitment to their customers stating the Viper would not delay the Hornet development. I think deep down not many actually believed this comment when it was released, which with time has proven to be incorrect. Noted today another OB concentrating on the Viper with no development showing for the Hornet. Someone mentioned on one of the posts about AG radar, i note that was missing entirely from the press release today.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• ED Team

We posted it to Steam, the newsletter, Discord, Facebook and the forums, not to mention it is shared around to other popular sites, I mean I understand the frustration but we are trying to get the news spread as far and wide as we can.

The Hornet devs that were helping on the Viper release have started moving back, but there are still some trying to get some basic features fixed up, for some reason R/BL was removed from the changelog, and the Walleye just wasn't were it needed to be for release although I know some of you know how to load that stuff up regardless.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

My thoughts?

When the Hornet was released back in the day, it rained updates and fixes. Week after week, frantic pace. This then slows down over time and eventually we have reached the update pace we are seeing now. But there is no foul play, its just the nature of the development progress. The first batch of updates were probably already in the test branch at the time of the Hornet release, and after that its a lot of low hanging fruits and quick fixes. And there are many too choose from, so they can go with many quick fixes and additions and save the heavy for later, which they have and are. And that is where we are now. The updates will become fewer and fewer and wider and wider apart.

The Hornet is very functional, not finished by all means, but its certainly combat effective. So its not like no update, or a few update will be game stopping, and I wasnt expecting much last time and this time, due to the Viper release - its just one week since that released.

You see no panic, anger or disappointment here. I will enjoy the Hornet in its current state, its future state, and appreciate the updates and new features when they arrive, in their own time.

And the above you will see on the Viper too, just more compressed time wise. Todays patch had a lot of low hanging stuff, which was probably already in the hand of the testers when the Viper released too, and the next couple of updates will be frequent. But thats not a sign of the Hornet having 2nd prio, but a sign of the Hornet being 1½ years ahead in development.

Well said

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

For me the best product update / customer relations I've seen recently from any of the community manager's is Heatblur with this ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251618 ). ED could / should lead by example given its their intellectual property however its often not the case it would seem and refuse to get drawn into milestone discussions. I do believe it isn't much for the community to ask for a roadmap and an approximation of timescales for that to be completed along the lines of what quarter they expect to complete - surely they must have an internal project management procedure for this, its just they choose not to share. I hold by my original statement that ED's approach in 2019 with the hornet development has been detrimental to sales with numerous people not buying into Viper EA due to poor communication on the hornet development. The communication since July has been frankly as clear as mud and non existent.

HB? That's a strange choice of an example as IIRC they were more or less silent since the release regarding the remaining major features till few days ago. Plus, the Tomcat was delayed quite a few times as it was initially announced to be released in 2017 (granted, it came with most of the features covered, but it also doesn't have an A2G radar and guided weapons which have to be made from scratch here).

Not trying to disrespect HB here, just wanted to point out that I don't quite agree with the given argumentation.

As regards to exact roadmap with planned dates, they've probably been burned before over the course of all these modules to know better than to give any dates they're not sure about.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

HB? That's a strange choice of an example as IIRC they were more or less silent since the release regarding the remaining major features till few days ago. Plus, the Tomcat was delayed quite a few times as it was initially announced to be released in 2017 (granted, it came with most of the features covered, but it also doesn't have an A2G radar and guided weapons which have to be made from scratch here).

Not trying to disrespect HB here, just wanted to point out that I don't quite agree with the given argumentation.

As regards to exact roadmap with planned dates, they've probably been burned before over the course of all these modules to know better than to give any dates they're not sure about.

Yes this wasn't about looking backwards at the historical context it was looking more at the quality of information in their latest customer update. It was very thorough compared to what we get from the community managers within ED normally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Yes this wasn't about looking backwards at the historical context it was looking more at the quality of information in their latest customer update. It was very thorough compared to what we get from the community managers within ED normally.

I see, but again, to be fair, it took them six months of relatively silent work on these features so they can announce what they've been working on and what might get released in the following months (hope things work out as they planned them out, but that remains to be seen). I'm sure one could write a similar complaint to HB on the Viggen updates as the Tomcat has gotten the priority.

Meanwhile, ED released another module during the same period which obviously delayed further Hornet updates. Not an ideal situation from a Hornet owner's perspective, but I'm sure they had their reasons (like e.g. paying the bills or simply bringing the most wanted module to the masses as early as possible).

The point is, with limited resources to go around, they have to make some choices which means that some module owners will always have to wait for their turn. Patience and realistic expectations are the key here, I guess.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Hornet Development - Today's OB Update - whats your thoughts?

My thoughts were; Aw geez, lots of people are probably going to complain about the lack of changes. Very much reminds me of the A-10C EA days. :)

Don't worry folks. I'm sure ED wants their modules to be complete too so they can move on to making more content. :pilotfly:

^^ I never think that, I’m always surprised at what controversy is invented for people to feel upset about.

My thoughts on the update are:

Holy cow! We now have the F-16 and F/A-18 in DCS and both are the subject of continual improvement. I spent last night dogfighting Hornet, Viper and Tomcat over Iran with the Stingers and it was an absolute blast.

I really hope EDs staff feel appreciated and motivated to enjoy their awesome work each day because DCS is truly a gift.

^^ I never think that, I’m always surprised at what controversy is invented for people to feel upset about.

Holy cow! We now have the F-16 and F/A-18 in DCS and both are the subject of continual improvement. I spent last night dogfighting Hornet, Viper and Tomcat over Iran with the Stingers and it was an absolute blast.

I really hope EDs staff feel appreciated and motivated to enjoy their awesome work each day because DCS is truly a gift.

+1

Best message you could give to everyone. I´m from the time that simulators were 2 colors and the horizon was a line in the middle of the screen. I´m very grateful that today i can reach a little more my childhood dream (carrier ops) inside my Hornet in VR. Fly and enjoy. Good things will come with time.

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

…the Walleye just wasn't were it needed to be for release although I know some of you know how to load that stuff up regardless.

Which is a damn shame that shouldn’t be so (IMO)

Seeing “edit the lua” or “there’s a script” for more and more functionality and it stinks.

It’s getting to the point where you have to be a programmer and not a pilot to enjoy DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Flight simulators through history generally required some proficiency in using a PC, manipulating files and scripts... Even for less tech savvy people, that's a great introduction to whole range of computer skills: programming, design, art, network, hardware configuration...

Oh I’ve certainly learned a great deal through using DCS but it’s almost all been “client side.”

I just don’t think such skills should ever allow anyone an advantage in game and I definitely don’t think they should ever be encouraged by the publisher. If there’s a key function or system that is fixed by a “hack” then that code should be adopted by the Devs in order to maintain a level playing field for everyone regardless of their computer savvy-ness.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

ED work is truly a piece of art. I cant really be grateful enough of the kind of fun they always gift me everytime i fly the game with my VR headset.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk