Which AG weapon to use for cloudy sorties?

pimp

Hi All,

I learned the hard way that the tgp can't see through clouds so when I was lasing ALL my GBUs missed because the tgp could not see, or the laser could not lase through clouds. So which weapon would be best for cloudy ground strikes?

Thanks!

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

You just discovered one of the reasons for jdam development.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

LGBs work fine.. just need a ground based laser :) Or a buddy below the clouds.
In DCS, maybe (haven't tested). IRL, I doubt the seeker will be able to spot the laser until the bomb is below the cloud deck, by which time it'll be too late to adjust its course enough to hit.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

In DCS, maybe (haven't tested). IRL, I doubt the seeker will be able to spot the laser until the bomb is below the cloud deck, by which time it'll be too late to adjust its course enough to hit.

IRL, I personally know it works. That's why a JTAC will drop a BOC 9-line to the shooter and the buddy is tally below the cloud deck. There is a minimum altitude the cloud cover must be above the ground for it to work, but we shall not talk about that here.

The seeker acquires the laser after it emerges from the clouds when dropped correctly within parameters.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Fair enough, if the cloud deck is high enough for the bomb to correct, I see no reason for it not to work. My point is that the seeker can't spot the laser through the cloud cover, unless I'm mistaken (which I could be, this is my understanding).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thank you all for the feedback. When I think of IR, I assume that can see through smoke or clouds, but that's not always the case. So is it safe to say that currently DCS does not have any camera system, Mav or T-Pod, that can see through clouds?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Thank you all for the feedback. When I think of IR, I assume that can see through smoke or clouds, but that's not always the case. So is it safe to say that currently DCS does not have any camera system, Mav or T-Pod, that can see through clouds?

Only system that can see through clouds is the radar. But radar ain't accurate enough in many cases to do targeting unless very new ones. In theory radar can be used, but in practice it is not so reliable and accurate.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Like Fri13 said, a synthetic aperture radar will "see" through the clouds. Depending on the system, you may be able to pull Cat-1 grids and target off that - but you still need the terminal guidance bit for LGBs. A laser won't work through clouds.

As someone else mentioned, JDAMs work best and even if you can't pull your own target grids due to cloud cover and no radar, there are other cross-cue capes from other weapon systems (hook a J3.5 via LINK-16), but that's far beyond our scope here.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Radar bombing used to be a huge thing back in Vietnam and such. And that works in any weather (with possible extreme exceptions) and light conditions. Not sure if it's still a thing though, as JDAMS are so much easier to deal with against known stationary targets.

But currently, I would just say: get below the clouds. Clouds at 1000 feet? stay at 900. Clouds at 100 feet... stay at 90. And use retarded bombs, lest you frag yourself.

Just to pick a nit. FLIR sees through smoke just fine in most cases (unless its engineered multi-spectral smoke). Clouds are not smoke, they are water vapor, FLIR doesn't see through water very well.

And the answer to your question is radar which we don't have and doesn't really work that well.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just to pick a nit. FLIR sees through smike just fine un most cases. Clouds are not smoke, they are water vapor, FLIR doesnt see through water very well.

And the answer to your question is radar which we dont have and doesnt really work that well.

A SAR-equipped aircraft can work very well and it’s another sensor to use. Sensor deconfliction can also have huge gains (TGP search one area while you SAR another). Just ask any mudhen Pilot/WSO.

A SAR-equipped aircraft can work very well and it’s another sensor to use. Sensor deconfliction can also have huge gains (TGP search one area while you SAR another). Just ask any mudhen Pilot/WSO.

I agree that SAR can be quite useful, especially through clouds, but does our F16 actually have SAR?

I agree that SAR can be quite useful, especially through clouds, but does our F16 actually have SAR?

According to the Planned Systems post, this version of the Viper will model the AN/APG-68(V)5. That version of the radar did not have SAR, according to my brief google searching. The first model that did come with SAR capability is the AN/APG-68(V)9.

Evan "Preacher" Weeks - Dad. Programmer. Virtual Fighter Pilot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Radar can be pretty accurate in DBS2 if you have a prominent enough known offset to the target. Rarely are you lucky enough for your target to present well on non-SA radars, but DBS does make prominent features easy to target such as bridges, large structures, prominent geographical features, etc. much easier to spot and precisely designate. Not as good as SAR but it should work in a pinch.