Mission Editor Top User Requested Features

NineLine

It's been a little while since I've used the editor, but these were the features I wanted when I was using it frequently, in no particular order:

- For static objects and vehicles that spawn on the ground (including aircraft): the ability to override the spawn coordinates to a user definable point. Specifically for the Y (height) and rotational values. Similarly, being able to override the limits on ground and water place-able objects, placing invalid objects as if they were statics.

- Some way, using scripting, or a new method, to create custom UI elements during the mission. Creating custom game modes or story-based scenarios would work much better if the designer could create UI overlays for things like custom scoreboards, dynamically controllable settings with proper menus and formatted text, custom debug menus, or, ideally, the possibility to trigger overlays for things like images and video over the screeen or part of the screen.

- The ability to set the Flag names to strings. Or, to at least be able to add a Comment as a trigger and action. Something separate from the script text boxes, so it can be obviously a comment.

- Some way to add parentheses to the If side of a trigger, so complicated checks wouldn't need to be split up through multiple triggers with a lot of flags to simulate the correct order of operations.

- Some way to easily move collections of mission triggers between files.

- The ability to use floats as flag values, as well as for logical operations.

- Templates of Static objects, and of multiple groups.

- Polygonal Trigger Zones, 3 Dimensional Trigger Zone Regions.

- Generic spawn points for Playable units where the player can select from a list of planes after selecting the spawn point. Even better if the mission maker can set parameters for the spawn point, with plane limits, and loadouts for each the planes that is allowed in that spawn.

- A Way to dynamically change the values of items in a warehouse to simulate (for example) a sudden loss of inventory from enemy action or to implement a "shop" mechanic.

Trigger zones of arbitrary size and shape.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

*A "steer to the wind" option for carriers that sets a course based on the carrier's set speed and the current weather so the apparent wind blows down the carrier's angled deck. A lot of mission builders have a hard time managing those crosswinds.

*Alternatively, a calculator of some sort that shows the correct course and speed for a carrier based on the current weather.

*An "invincible to AI" setting. Real troops-in-contact CAS is rare in DCS, and the reason it's rare is because the ground game is so incredibly lethal. The AI's excellent ability to spot and engage targets combined with the AI's total inability to utilize cover (both for infantry and vehicles) means that most fights are resolved before the human pilots can get involved. I'm hoping an "Invincible to other AI but not to players" option would allow pilots to participate in CAS by simulating ground units' ability to take cover without needing a massive AI overhaul. It would also sidestep many problems with current methods, such as making all ground units fully invincible and "winning" the battle through hidden triggers, or turning the invincibility on and off when players are nearby and hoping that's good enough.

*A way to place lines of fortifications (think Company of Heroes, placing tank barriers and barbed wire by clicking and dragging). Currently even relatively small barricades require placing tremendous numbers of "barbed wire" and tank barrier static units one at a time, and manually aligning each one.

*Speaking of obstacles and fortifications, some HESCO barriers would be nice.

*It would be nice if units could be spawned via triggers without needing to resort to external scripts. Currently, working within the ME, all units need to be placed first and then some can be activated late or not at all based on triggers, but if you want e.g. a convoy to leave Camp Alpha for FOB Bravo every half hour, you need to have a zillion convoys set up awaiting late activation.

*At one time there was a prototype of a system for dirt airfields. Is there any possibility of that going somewhere? A real road-base system would also be welcome.

-edit-

A friend requests: "A simple Airfield inventory Lua CRUD API that bypasses warehouse mechanics."

Edited by ScAvenger001

Air Tasking Order / limited strategic goals: an option to create squadrons of specific types of aircraft performing missions from a defined airbase in specific areas.

Example: "Fighter Squadron XYZ" composed of 16 mig-29 is assigned to maykop airbase. For a time frame set by me of, let's say, 8 hours they will have to perform CAP sorties over 2 areas. Areas are defined with a trigger zone (call them cap area1 and 2). The squadron will assign 2 planes to each cap area for a 2 hours period and then rotate the planes, as the first flight is nearing mission end, the second flight takes off to replace them. (Asset rotation should be automatic AND/OR customizable) The flights will perform an optimal route in the cap area to ensure cover and try to engage all enemy (air) assets detected IN the cap area.

The amount of scripting by mission creator should be = 0. All the tools are drag and drop /copy-paste, editable.

Something similar can be done for CAS: allied ground units in contact with enemies WITHIN a CAS area can call available CAS assets to support them.

Squadron ATO planning takes into account available planes, fuel, pilots, ammunition,etc.

Now if you could link the above to "limited strategic goals" you have a mini dynamic, self-sustained, zero scripting scenario.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI8

Edited by Rubberduck85

1: Place AC anywhere, like Helos and Harrier, maybe only for client/player AC, as the AI cannot handle this atm.

2: FARP zone instead of FARP object

3: visible client AC before anyone joins a slot, if player leaves spawn AC back on startposition if not occupied by another player who parked there. makes airfields more believeable

4: a set of static objects without collision model, namely taxiway lines of different shape and size, so we can place them on airfields when placing ACs like in my point 1 above.

5: signs where you can enter numbers / letters, ie "F103" to mark parking positions.

Edited by Roadrunner

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Couple of ideas (for some of them I will link threads I've started):

1) - A new Mission Editor Logic/ Multiplayer UI https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205799

In short: New ME logic for having player aircraft in a mission. Instead of the current slot based system, a pool based system. No more never ending lists of spawn slots and limiting slots when you want more than one coalition to have a slot at a certain airfield. Mission Designer can setup an amount of total aircraft or total number of a specific air frames available. When a player selects his air frame he can be shown a map (like the one in "Create Fast Mission" window)with the available spawn locations (which can include air spawn zones). After a selecting a spawn location a player can choose his load-out (and livery if available). He will then be given the first available slot in that location.

(described more in detail in the link to the thread)

2) - Multiple Coalitions:

Multiple coalitions which can have different rules of engagements towards each other, which would put in play IFF and VID and open mission creators to a lot more scenarios. Multiple coalitions with different objectives and relationships between each other can be seen in modern conflicts:

A more in-depth example found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4047938&postcount=46

3) Improved warehouses which actually work and don't break. With better logistic logic to them.

4) - A way of dynamically creating flight plans and data cartridges on the go for MP by the players (something which I think was said to be able to happen with the upcoming Data Cartrige).

If tied with the first idea of this list would be able to create flights for mission with your wingman on the go when you join a server and plan your route together, your spawn location, airframe, weapons and so on.

5) -Option to hide SAMs from Ka-50 ABRIS and F/A-18 SA Page without HIDDEN ON MAP

as described here : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250477

6) -Ability to control a single unit from a group

Right now you can only move the whole group of units you have if you are a ground commander. Idea here is to make it as an RTS and be able to select one unit or a whole group to control.

7) -Ability to create custom shapes for triggers

8) -Ability to be able to give dynamic tasks to AI and be able to transport goods and infantry. Take em from one place and deliver at another and then continue using the AI (both aircraft and infantry). Be able as a commander to call in a Transport plane or a Tanker to a location.

9) -Ability to setup custom radio navigation aids (like TACAN and so on)

10) -Ability to make units work together and not have to be constantly managed or they would stay dead in the water or just RTB (like Tankers and Ships). In general not having to create custom scripts for everything.

11) - Ability to keep track of player aircraft (have it visible before they spawn in) and incorporate air frame life tracking. Meaning its life will degrade with flights and not get a new jet after each respawn. This would be great for dynamic campaigns and you might have to down aircraft for maintenance

12) - Snap to highest position for SAMs and RADAR. For when trying to deploy an EWR or SAM TR. That way you can snap it to the highest flat position that it can be deployed to and show an actual range of what it can see

13) - Better Dynamic Weather. Right now you can create some really nice effects, but the wind speeds are always abysmal. Also the graph doesn't not show for what altitude those windspeeds are

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Really great that you guys are taking in feedback to improve that is huge! here are some feedback i have.

1)i really want to be able to se the time in the editor when making a time of day change. Like a preview window or just a dynamic one through the satellite view.

2) A option in it self to have a full moon or half moon or eclipse because now you have to do re-search on when there was one to be able to have it. it would be better just to have a box you can click to have it or not.

3) a new feature i really want is a quality of life a one where instead of having to click the dial to rotate a unit why not have a key combo like shift + left click and you just drag it to the direction you want it the less you have to go in the menu the faster and better it feels to edit.

1) ajs viggen being able to take off from highway and roads just like we have an options to set take off from runway/ramp

2) coalitions being able to have more than "red" and "blue" we need independent "Green" that can be set to be enemy to either Blue or red or both. And mabye even a "civilian"

3) kneeboard being able to add a custom page on the kneeboard with basic text box in the editor so that one unit gets intel he needs and not the entire bluefor side

4) A Cycle waypoint for AI so they repeat their mission markers Because when they are done they go back to airfield and become useless and sit there for the rest of the session. so being able to cycle back to waypoint one would be great.

5) Ship and Airfield Lights: Being able to set/Force lights during dawn day or night would be great to now its only if its dark kinda. Being able to just force them when you are early in the morning but not early enough to warrent the lights to auto go on.

6) Undo and Re-do this is a small change but its a great quality of life if you mess things up.

7) a better and more easy way to select more units with a click and drag and a better copy Paste function should help a lot in the editor (Huge quality of life feature)

Edited by L3AF

A lot of things I had in mind has been already written , I'll make a list of my priorities.

- official documentation for LUA scripting

- UNDO and REDO (life saving functions!!!!)

- a more powerful COPY PASTE function

- debug console ( it would be very usefull to do commands and reduce debug time! )

- extended nodes capabilities to create credible battle areas in few clicks

- possibility to consider several groups a package and AI working accordingly

- More statics for airports and carriers to avoid using mods

- Intro and outtro cutscenes ( something I really liked in ARMA editor )

- Invisibile FARP

- AI TASK PUSH with a start delay ( you already done this with SOUND FOR X functions )

- more templates for ground units

- adjust volume for SOUND FOR X functions

Not mission editor related but something that takes me HOURS to adjust in mission editor:

- a better ATC system !!!!!

- dynamic weather

Edited by beppe_goodoldrebel

3d visualization to see unit placement and weather/lighting ajustments.

A way to let ai play the mission and fast forward/backward to see what everything is doing (like in tacview) and how scripts play out.

Oh and a more immersive briefing system. Maybe a bit of optional ingame video, followed by an overview of the map with animated evolving mission plan. (Remember like the old TIE fighter game)

Edited by Wait4It

- undo option

- set airborn AI heading without having to add a second waypoint

- allow Player to be any part of the aircraft group (wingman)

- allow coalition edit

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

It would be great if you could merge my editor starting formation mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178150

I finally put together my little editor mod that allows you to set a placement formation for ground units.

Currently there are the following presets:

Line

Rectangle

Circle

Star

Scattered (randomly place units around)

Vee

Echelon Left

Echelon Right

The start formation placement can be chosen below the heading input in the editor to the right.

I can also rebase the mod, as I didn't maintain it for a while.

Would be nice to see:

- better support for all kind of carriers (placing planes at those, currently it's a very messy)

- better orbits support (leg length/time)

- possibility to add tankers and AWACS on racetrack orbit

- possibility to reload lua scripts included in mission without need to reload every lua file in triggers menu

- possibility to set loadout for all flight with one click (instead of each plane separately)

- possibility to override ON/OFF state for all NAV points (mainly ILSes)

- possibility to block mission stats windows from showing up (difficulty setting)

- possibility to copy/paste radio settings of set those per whole flight at once

- possibility to add mission POIs, so waypoints can be snapped into those - then moving such POI (like IP point) shall automatically move this waypoint for all flights using this "POI"

Thanks!

Zapraszam na Gildia.org - polska społeczność DCS. :thumbup:

For me:

1) times or preview for lighting conditions (sunrise / sunset twilight / moonphases visible)

2) objects (active and static) selection via dragging a selection box, copy and paste

3) group / template option for static objects

4) editing coalitions (adding, removing / moving countries from one to another)

5) neutral coalition usable for civil objects (planes, ships, vehicles)

Thanks

Jens

1) Grass airfields have been in the game for a long time but they dont work. Maybe they should.

2) Random AAA fire effect, like in Gulf War. You have something similiar in the game already, the artillery in a zone.

3) Ability to place runways/airfields. Something like FARP, but for planes.

1.) UNDO/REDO function

2.) Roadbases for HELO/AV-8B

3.) Customize Trigger Shape

4.) Tac signs for Mission Briefings FLOT/TCP´s/FP/BP/RZ/AO/HQ/Holdings....

5.) 3rd coalition

6.) better Copy&Paste

7.) possibility to combine 2 Missions (2 devs working on 1 mission separately and put it together)

8.) Autosave function (lifesaver:))

9.) more Callsigns

10.) placable TACAN/NDB/ADF stations

11.) more options at Static Objects (late Act/more selections like Walls/gates and so on)

I think that's it for the moment;)

The ability to load and merge large scale templates (maybe user made) such as:

Ww2 atlanticwall

Ww2 post invasion

Realistic 1985 air defense for map

Realistic 2008 air defense for map

Commercial flight traffic

Also a way to filter placeable units by era. For instance only show realistic units for 1995, which hides the ww2 stuff and some new ones.

Non-circular trigger zones

3rd Coalition

Click and drag select

Undo and Redo fuction

Can place land units on ships

Can place ships on rivers and lakes

Date (year) of entry into service for all units provided

Can designate new areas of map as airfield (mainly for WW2 birds, rotary, Viggen and Harrier)

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

1. Respawn options for AI flights

2. Ships on lakes/rivers

3. Lock a group or static object to position so it can't be accidently moved around

4. Ability to adjust effect placeables height

5. 9 callsigns minimum for all planes, and the ability to select the other numbers for the callsign regardless of position in flight or whatever. Example, if i want to set the first plane in the flight to enfield-5-7, I can't because the first plane will always be x-x-1.

6. undo option would also be nice

I am user who using only DCS Script, MIST and MOOSE for make mission.

I did troubleshooted for some problems in many times during past several years.

Specifically AIM-9X Problem and Immortal Function, Hit Event Function.

I hope solve this problems for more good PvP DACT and Air Combat Exercises in 24/7 Server.

--

1. Polygon Zone (More Good if Adjustable with Integer)

2. Re-Declarable Coalition Set Function

3. Fixable World Time (Ability Stop the Time in Specific Time)

4. Please Solve the AIM-9X Loadable Problem Despite Aerodrome Supply Setting to Zero

5. Hit Event Function in Immortal Situation for Player vs Player DACT Training with Live Ordnance. (I made Switchable Immortal Function with Radio F10 Menu, but it is not work in correctly in Multiplayer Environment. Single Play Environment is Okay, but Multiplayer Environment, it can be using by server only.)

6. Border Crayon. (Making User Can be Drawing Border Line)

7. Please make Aircraft Carrier can be Placing Nevada Lake

and my little hope is..

Enhanced Aerodrome Lighting System :D

Many Thank You.

there are a ton of user exp / usability issues with the editor. those are "unsexy" fixes, but they would reduce user frustration considerably.

for example:

- when placing new aircraft you have to place one before you can change the mission type and select an aircraft from another type

- it's easy to delete a unit/group by mistake when trying to delete a waypoint

- setting up multiple escort / follow tasks can be confusing, because clicking on another unit selects the unit as target instead of jsut selecting the unit. can be confusing, even if you know about the function

- undo/redo (obviously!!!)

- selecting multiple units, possibility to change first unit of group without moving whole group

- changing unit azimuth is tedious at the moment

- even small mission can get confusing with many waypoint/flightplans overlapping: need a way to elegantly hide certain layers of units from the editor with one click

- need of possibility to save loadouts in the mission and not globally

- need of simple colour-coded heightmap to make it easier to judge terrain for placing SAM and judge sightlines for ground vehicles

- need of reorganizing unit categories for ground units and statics. at the moment there are too many item in some categories, making it tedious to find a specific item

Edited by twistking

1. ATC Tasks for associated carrier units - i.e. aft and port plane guards, SAR helo, recovery tanker

2. Carrier ATC zone triggers that follow a carrier - i.e. turn on carrier lights in low visibility position without having to call inbound, recovery information passed to pilot when entering the CATC zone vice when 2 miles out

a. If there are multiple carriers in a mission that are closely spaced, each could have it's own ATC and be responsible for different zones.