Got the F-14 yesterday. Wow!

Fred00

So, I decided to start playing DCS again after a break since about february. Also decided to start fresh with the new F-16. Said and done, the F-16 was purchased and setup for take-off. However, I was a little disappointed when I got it into the air. I'm sure it's pretty accurate already, but it just felt a bit sterile (for lack of a better word).

Then I started to think about the F-14, read a bit here on the forum, and shortly after purchased that one too. And wow, what a difference! Already at full throttle down the runway the F-14 was more exciting than the F-16. It shakes and rumbles and just feels great. Once in the air there's just alot more sense of flying in the F-14. It moves more, and it's not just perfectly composed at all times, which makes it alot more enjoyable.

I haven't had time to do much else than get a feel for her in the air, but I have a sense that it's going to be fun to learn this one!

As an F-14 driver once said, "Some of you only know FBW controls and Fourth Gen HUDS-you are slothful, lazy and complacent. The F14 will teach you to how to actually fly, and with a little training and practice, you can look down your nose at those plebeian FBW cripples and know that you can fly their jet, but they can't begin to fly yours."

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

IMHO very many, even the FBW aircrafts lacks the "feel" of being in the air. The Heatblur does great job with all the sounds and the small shakings etc that makes the immersion.

IIRC it started with the Mi-8MTv2 on helicopters (or was the UH-1H first...?) and then Mig-21Bis was first aircraft to really show that feeling in the cockpit.

The F/A-18C etc IMHO should have the similar sounds and feelings, just in smaller scale, but still be there. As typically the ED modules fly very "clinically" like there ain't any friction from the air, no drag, no air pockets, no altering (dynamic) wind velocities etc. Like if someone even looks at the wind by flags, trees branches etc, or even flies a kite at high altitudes (like 300-400 meters from the ground) it is extremely easy to find out that wind is never a steady blow, it is not a steady flow but it is constantly changing in power, direction, strength etc.

And the F-14 is greatly simulating exactly that (as is ie. MiG-21Bis) so you get those slight movements, and that is what the real pilots are doing, constantly throwing the stick around even without noticing it, as they feel so much through their whole body that how the aircraft is behaving and they predictably correct the small and large movements that aircraft receives.

That is lacking in so many DCS modules, where such movements of the control devices will lead to serious overcontrol because the aircraft doesn't have "mass" and force to fly through the air. And FBW system should as well change dynamically lots of the control inputs smoother, so at lower rates, critical moments your stick has far more throw scale to operate so you can't accidentally perform a overcorrection by doing just a small input.

Instead we are required to perform very strict, tiny movements through the scale or otherwise we just input too much control and we are off.

And F-14 has more of this feeling that others do. But even it is little too "linear" in the controls input.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Heatblur need to make the Phantom!

Imagine the immersion they would bring to that old monster of a bird

Phantom and a Vietnam war campaign would be out of this world. It would be a classic for sure.

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

Phantom and a Vietnam war campaign would be out of this world. It would be a classic for sure.

You mean that few CAPs during evacuation with no Mig scores? Sounds like fun.

@Fri13: Controls linearity is good. It's on your side to set it how you like it for your hardware. Also afaik no module introduce deliberate random shakes just to simulate air mass, not even HB Tomcat (meaning you can still fly as on rails) - unless you set turbulence in the mission. Otoh every module gives the feeling of mass and inertia - that's DCS standard you're talking about. You're confusing the higher AoA, gear/flaps/spdbrk resistance and around 1M shakes for something else. Not that any module lacks that effects but of course the feeling of flying is great in the Tomcat.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Heatblur did an amazing job on F-14. Especially in area of the 3D modeling and texturing, both cockpit and externals set a new level of benchmark for others yet to reach. Sounds are also nothing short of exceptional and add up a lot to how direct the the flight controls are perceived. F-14 is not my favorite plane in reality but currently it's my favorite module in DCS. It just feels extremely immersive and alive.

I would be ready to pay even some crazy price if HB would do the Tornado.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

100% agreed

IMHO very many, even the FBW aircrafts lacks the "feel" of being in the air. The Heatblur does great job with all the sounds and the small shakings etc that makes the immersion.

IIRC it started with the Mi-8MTv2 on helicopters (or was the UH-1H first...?) and then Mig-21Bis was first aircraft to really show that feeling in the cockpit.

The F/A-18C etc IMHO should have the similar sounds and feelings, just in smaller scale, but still be there. As typically the ED modules fly very "clinically" like there ain't any friction from the air, no drag, no air pockets, no altering (dynamic) wind velocities etc. Like if someone even looks at the wind by flags, trees branches etc, or even flies a kite at high altitudes (like 300-400 meters from the ground) it is extremely easy to find out that wind is never a steady blow, it is not a steady flow but it is constantly changing in power, direction, strength etc.

And the F-14 is greatly simulating exactly that (as is ie. MiG-21Bis) so you get those slight movements, and that is what the real pilots are doing, constantly throwing the stick around even without noticing it, as they feel so much through their whole body that how the aircraft is behaving and they predictably correct the small and large movements that aircraft receives.

That is lacking in so many DCS modules, where such movements of the control devices will lead to serious overcontrol because the aircraft doesn't have "mass" and force to fly through the air. And FBW system should as well change dynamically lots of the control inputs smoother, so at lower rates, critical moments your stick has far more throw scale to operate so you can't accidentally perform a overcorrection by doing just a small input.

Instead we are required to perform very strict, tiny movements through the scale or otherwise we just input too much control and we are off.

And F-14 has more of this feeling that others do. But even it is little too "linear" in the controls input.

Completely agree the F14 is exquisite, not just in model but visuals and also sounds specifically the cockpit give's the feedback required. In VR its a masterpiece.

The multicrew - superb.

Hard to find a negative except the AIM54 model which i believe is more down to ED.

As for other modules FM wise, L39 is not to be overlooked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat