Rift S USB issue - any experts?

Darpa

I bought a Rift S to use with DCS and ran into a problem as soon as I installed it. I have a long running thread going with Oculus support but we have not made much headway. If any one has any input or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Below is the summary I just sent to Oculus support about the problem:

I have an ASRock Z390 Extreme 4 motherboard with 17-9700 and 2080ti. Pretty new machine with Windows 10.

Problem:

When you start the computer Windows reports a “USB device not recognized” and states it is the last USB device installed that is causing the problem (which was the Rift S). The Device manager instead of showing 2 normal Rift USB Hub entries will only show 1 USB Rift Hub entry and 1 yellow triangle entry entitled Unknown USB Device

I have tried many USB 3 ports Gen1 and Gen2 - the only USB port I have not tried is the Type C on the Nvidia 2080ti (I do not have a converter).

When Problem Started:

When doing the setup for the Rift S - I got to the part where it said to plug in the USB and Displayport connectors. I did so. While the Rift S install application showed a successful hook up (everything turned green and it said all was O.k.), however just before that occurred Windows put up a notification saying that the USB device was unrecognized. The unit however worked perfectly. I could do everything. To confuse matters even more inside the Rift App there was a notification saying the Displayport connection had a problem (and yet everything continued to work perfectly).

Important Part:

The problem only happens on boot (I get a Windows notification and the yellow triangle entry in the Device Manager). When I unplug and replug the Rift S USB connection the problem is solved (the Unknown entry is replaced by s “Rift USB Hub” entry and everything works). Now everything will work on the Rift S perfectly until I reboot again.

What we have tried to date:

- Update the graphics drivers (I was only 1 version behind). Nothing changed

- Uninstalled and reinstalled USB drivers. Windows did it automatically. All version remained the same. Nothing changed

- Went through the hell of checking and re-seating the Headset cable (correct me if I am wrong but I think this can’t be a hardware based problem as the unit works perfectly and only reports an error on boot.)

- In device Manager turned off power saving on the Intel USB driver. Nothing changed

- I tried a long process of (while the Rift app was running) uninstalling and reinstalling the Rift USB HUB drivers and the Unknown USB Driver and letting them reinstall. Nothing changed.

- On the support phone call tried a Rift S software repair. Nothing changed.

- On the support call we switched to the Beta channel. Nothing changed.

Key takeaway. The Device works fine and only reports as an unknown USB device on Boot. HOWEVER, I do not want to be unplugging and re-pluging the USB cable every time I use the machine.

I would try a complete manual uninstall of all Oculus software and try a clean install again.

Disconnect your computer from the internet.

Back up any Oculus content if you want to. Click here for instructions. (This step is completely optional.)

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. For instructions, click here.

Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus folders from here:

C:\Program Files

Remove any Oculus folders from here:

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

Reboot your computer into normal mode.

Reconnect the computer to the internet.

Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

Edit: One last thing, you might want to check first - do you have fast boot enabled for Windows? If so try disabling that also.

Your motherboard's bios also may have a fast boot option, if so try with it unchecked.

Also go through each USB Hub in device manager and make sure all have power management disabled.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks Don,

That is the most complete of any instructions to date. I very much appreciate your input and will set out to do this.

You are most welcome, I hope it helps - let me know when you can how you make out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've had issues with all my USB3/3.1 ports they all went away when I bought Apples Thunderbolt to USB adaptor and plugged the Rift into my 2080.

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

PravusJSB... I certainly could try this also. Just to be sure, you are saying that instead of plugging in your Rift USB connector into your motherboards USB 3 port, you are instead plugging it into your 2080 Type C USB port using an adapter designed for that. Is that correct?

Did you just plug it in to the 2080 port get it to work or did you go through the Rift setup from scratch and then plug it in? Thanks

Edited by Darpa

Yep. Plug in. It works. More power, more bandwidth. I used a genuine apple FemaleUSB to Thunderbolt (USBC) but there are many options out there. I bought a cheap £2 one off evay and that didnt work, and just be sure the cable you use is rated for full USB-C bandwidth

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

I tried both PravusJSB and Don's solutions (both made perfect sense and thank you for the suggestions) but neither worked. So, I pulled out my old HP Oman laptop (1070, Oculus ready) and set up the Rift S on it and the exact same problem happened. I have no idea why this happens but I am now assuming it is hardware related. I will talk to support to get a new unit.

DARPA - I have the exact same issue that you described. Pretty much word for word. I tried everything that Oculus tech support recommended and finally they asked me to return it for replacement. I have sent it out and waiting to get a new set back. I am hoping this will resolve the issue. I will let you know

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

I had the same issue and the fix was the cable connection on the headset.

I spent days on this and ended up rebuilding an OS install still nada...I dug up a post somewhere where someone said check the cable connection at the headset. Its just a plug in, I reset it and bang...no more USB 3 issue.

What got me was that you could get it to load firmware updates the way it was but still got the USB 3 nag, it was simply not making a full and proper connection.

I ended up also using a ziptie on the headband to give support and not have he weight of the cable be on the connector.

I re-read your post and saw that you tried this which makes be believe you have a bad cable or connector. Perhaps do another attempt to re-seat it?

Edited by stealthbob

Stealthbob - do you mean you can connect and disconnect the wire at the headset level??? I did not know that. That might have been my issue - sigh. Getting a new one anyway.

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

Thanks guy. It seems I am in a bit of a holding pattern. My ticket is still listed as open with Oculus but they have stopped responding to for many days now so I really hope they get back to me at some point in time. I have also asked my local PC expert to try and re-seat the cable when he gets some time as I am a clutz and maybe did not get it right when I tried. I must admit my move from my trouble free Vive to the Rift S has been anything put pleasant.

I took the unit to my local PC guy (very knowledgeable about hardware). He re-seated the connection and then we gave it a try on his computer and same problem. He did say this is a very well known problem and said, in his eyes, the Rift S is next to junk from a hardware perspective. He said the reason is they wanted to make a cheap unit and they did - good for them but not so good for customers. He also mentioned I was lucky that it failed right off the bat because many people get stuck with them when they stop working after awhile. I have now returned the Rift S. So I am back to my original problem - Valve Index does not sell in Canada (better quality), The Rift S obviously has problems and the Cosmos turned out to have a bunch of problems also.

I took the unit to my local PC guy (very knowledgeable about hardware). He re-seated the connection and then we gave it a try on his computer and same problem. He did say this is a very well known problem and said, in his eyes, the Rift S is next to junk from a hardware perspective. He said the reason is they wanted to make a cheap unit and they did - good for them but not so good for customers. He also mentioned I was lucky that it failed right off the bat because many people get stuck with them when they stop working after awhile. I have now returned the Rift S. So I am back to my original problem - Valve Index does not sell in Canada (better quality), The Rift S obviously has problems and the Cosmos turned out to have a bunch of problems also.

Just my opinion, but I don't think your guy was quite up to snuff on the Rift S. Not to say you did not have a faulty unit, you likely did and should have gotten it replaced. I see many happy Rift S owners across various forums. I would not consider it a well known problem. It did have some issues early on that got ironed out for the most part. I have been using mine daily for many hours a week since getting it the day of release in late May. Works a champ, no muss no fuss.

No one as of yet has got stuck with a non working Rift S, as every one of them is still under warranty. They were just released in May, with a 1 year warranty. I have seen them take back for replacement and also seen them take back for refund. I also would not consider it cheaply built. Yes they targeted a price that would be more attractive to a larger number of customers, and built a unit to meet that price range. I myself was disappointed with that approach and seriously considered not getting one, but am glad I did. The one thing I like about it is I can run some pretty high graphics settings and still get good performance.

In any event good luck in your search for a VR device, I hope you find one that fits your needs nicely sooner rather than later, as it is a great experience.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I was having same issues, & found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-usb-device-not-recognized-error-keeps/485af046-1c8d-4606-84b0-5f141234c1e5

As you uninstall each USB, some will effect the mouse or keyboard so I just did a reset. It's been a few days without the problem, could be rift updates, or just win10, have to wait & see.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR