Real F16 overhead breaking landing

cmbaviator

ED probably stating a textbook overhead approach. Pilot in video is flying more aggressive approaches. Just a guess, but the pilot is probably on his final F-16 flight. States “Goblin1 is base gear down, full stop left, for the last time” after his closed traffic pattern.

This is the case too many times in the simulation community.

Aviation is something that is far more flexible than what the written rules want to make it look line. What Wags said is not wrong or inaccurate. It is something for you to start off with. Pilots usually know where the limits are and depending on them, there is a maneuvering area where you pick tour numbers/ options.

Adaptation to the situation.

• ED Team
It seems a bit different from the video from ED stating that the first turn is done between 2.5-3.0 G, in the first part of the video, the pilot goes up to 5 G turn

Hi cmbaviator,

Most of the time it is about 3.0 G turn, but the more important point is the offset roll out distance from the runway places the wingtip just below the runway. This generally equates to about a 3G pull, but you could also do a much harder pull at the start and then float it out past 90 degrees. You're call.

Thanks

Hi cmbaviator,

Most of the time it is about 3.0 G turn, but the more important point is the offset roll out distance from the runway places the wingtip just below the runway. This generally equates to about a 3G pull, but you could also do a much harder pull at the start and then float it out past 90 degrees. You're call.

Thanks

I see :)

this was my first attempt, still need more trainning though

• ED Team
I see :)

this was my first attempt, still need more trainning though

Not bad at all. You were just rather high at the perch, your decent was too shallow (should be 8-10 degrees), and your glidepath was pretty off (dashed 2.5 degree line on the HUD should be oh the runway threshhold), and landed hard at over 13-degrees AoA. Keep at it!

Thanks

Not bad at all. You were just rather high at the perch, your decent was too shallow (should be 8-10 degrees), and your glidepath was pretty off (dashed 2.5 degree line on the HUD should be oh the runway threshhold), and landed hard at over 13-degrees AoA. Keep at it!

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I need to invest in a track IR, should be easier I guess

A better rule of thumb is to make your break pulling 1% of your airspeed.

If you enter the overhead at 350kts, then your initial pull would be 3.5G.

Relax your pull to make the G match your airspeed as it decays until you are wings level on the downwind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

• ED Team
A better rule of thumb is to make your break pulling 1% of your airspeed.

If you enter the overhead at 350kts, then your initial pull would be 3.5G.

Relax your pull to make the G match your airspeed as it decays until you are wings level on the downwind.

While you certainly can if you wish, the many Viper pilots I've talked with don't base their turn on G. It's all about looking outside the aircraft to roll out with the correct downwind sight picture and keeping to the pattern altitude.

Thanks

• ED Team

The amount of G is just a function of your speed at the first turn. If you're around 300 kts it will be around 2.5 G, at 350 kts it will be around 3 G. If you come it at the speed of heat, it will naturally be higher. However, standard approach speed is between 300 and 350 kts.

Thanks

The amount of G is just a function of your speed at the first turn. If you're around 300 kts it will be around 2.5 G, at 350 kts it will be around 3 G. If you come it at the speed of heat, it will naturally be higher. However, standard approach speed is between 300 and 350 kts.

Thanks

thanks for the clarification

It's life changing, you can't go back once you've used it.

Then you can switch to VR if you want to increase immersion even more, but it has some drawbacks.

I guess but i was wondering if we can find some second hand track IR 5 in europe, i'll get one for Xmast

I've gotten into trouble with the Vipe on my final when I had my speed around 250. It tends to get sluggish and I couldn't even pull out of my dive. Now I tend to take my last turn at corner speed. It all bleeds off pretty quickly when the throttle is down.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

I've gotten into trouble with the Vipe on my final when I had my speed around 250. It tends to get sluggish and I couldn't even pull out of my dive. Now I tend to take my last turn at corner speed. It all bleeds off pretty quickly when the throttle is down.

when the gears are down, the Fly by Wire turns into a kind C*U law : Speed stable, you use throttle for the Flight path and stick for pitch.

Did you use your increase thrust to counter the dive?

when the gears are down, the Fly by Wire turns into a kind C*U law : Speed stable, you use throttle for the Flight path and stick for pitch.

Did you use your increase thrust to counter the dive?

Yeah, but speed didn't come up fast enough, as I recall.

Just giving her a little more respect.

Yeah, but speed didn't come up fast enough, as I recall.

Just giving her a little more respect.

You will mostly use the thrust for the flight path, if you want to increase/decrease speed, try using more your stick to pitch up/down.

And why do you want to increase speed ? you want to decrease speed ??

Maybe you can provide a video ?

I was very nose-down at low speed at one point. I couldn't pull out of it then. Almost no elevator response.

I do know how to work throttle and stick on landings.

Throttle: sink rate

Stick: speed

I'm wondering why the pilot in OP's video landed with the Master Arm in SIM and not SAFE. I'm curious if he got a talking-to during the debrief for that.

SIM is SAFE, nothing can fire in SIM mode.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP