Why aren't we using F15 RWR sounds?

razorseal

Hey guys, I could be completely off here (i don't fly the f15 much) but doesn't the F15 and F16 share the same RWR? Wouldn't it be better if we used the sounds from the F15 instead of F18 as place holder?

or... can one of the community modders "borrow" the sounds from other sims that use F16 and put it in DCS F16 until we have official sounds?

Just a thought. I'm sure there is a reason we're using F18 sounds and not F15, but I figured I mention it.

I’m no modder but there is a mod for a10c that uses f16 rwr sounds and was always awesome. Not sure why it hasn’t /been converted over for the f16 yet.....?

Does it use the same RWR?

Could easily make this happen for F16 I would think. Great band aid for now.

It's an old Mod, even if you manage to get it working for the F-16 you will get problems like this one:

"the mod Mirage, Mig21 and F5 appear as Unknown radar type on my RWR, as in they got an "U" as symbol on the RWR"

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The mod is working for the A-10C at the moment (after some tweaks, after 2.5 came out and updating it for new modules, I get the correct symbol, but the default tones for them). I tried doing the same thing for the F-16C, obviously changing some parameters and names etc in the lua files, but it made zero difference in the game, despite the fact that the RWR_ALR-56.lua was completely different from the default now. I expected it to at least break the RWR, but it kept working the exact same way.

EDIT: I tried again and it's very weird, the modded file clearly requests sounds from my custom path, yet in the game, the RWR behaves exactly the same as before and uses the placeholder sounds from the F-18. It's like that lua file doesn't matter.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

"The other sim" ARH missile warning sound assuming its realistic kinda awful IMHO. It sound like weak pulse and it could easily distracted by other warning sound. So be prepared for the real one when it get implemented. F-15 warning sound is much better.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

The mod is working for the A-10C at the moment (after some tweaks, after 2.5 came out and updating it for new modules, I get the correct symbol, but the default tones for them). I tried doing the same thing for the F-16C, obviously changing some parameters and names etc in the lua files, but it made zero difference in the game, despite the fact that the RWR_ALR-56.lua was completely different from the default now. I expected it to at least break the RWR, but it kept working the exact same way.

EDIT: I tried again and it's very weird, the modded file clearly requests sounds from my custom path, yet in the game, the RWR behaves exactly the same as before and uses the placeholder sounds from the F-18. It's like that lua file doesn't matter.

Could it be that it is actually using the F/A-18 lua/sound files?

DCS A-10C II Warthog, DCS AV-8B, DCS F/A-18C. DCS F-16C DCS KA-50 III, DCS F-14B. DCS AH-64 Apache. DCS Mirage F1. DCS F-15E.
System: Z690 - i9-12900k - RTX 3080ti - 32gb ram - 2tb NVME - 2x2tb HDD - TM Hotas Warthog - MFG Rudders - Trackir/VR