All Russian missiles stuck at 1990, no improvements since?

silent one

Since all Russian planes are stuck at 1990 for " reasons " what about the missiles? Watching a vid yesterday I was struck at how op awesome the aim9x is with it being smokeless. The 120 is vastly better than the Russian radar missiles too. Has their missile tech really just stagnated since 1990? No smokeless missiles. No improvement in guidance at all?

If we cant have the newer better planes can we at least have the newer better missiles? If we cant have hi fidelity new planes how about FC3 level fidelity new planes?

I just think were missing out on something here. It feels a little like blue flying a 1945 P51d vs red in a 1940 Bf 109E4 from the Battle of Britain. lol.

Thoughts anyone :)

Since all Russian planes are stuck at 1990 for " reasons " what about the missiles? Watching a vid yesterday I was struck at how op awesome the aim9x is with it being smokeless. The 120 is vastly better than the Russian radar missiles too. Has their missile tech really just stagnated since 1990? No smokeless missiles. No improvement in guidance at all?

If we cant have the newer better planes can we at least have the newer better missiles? If we cant have hi fidelity new planes how about FC3 level fidelity new planes?

I just think were missing out on something here. It feels a little like blue flying a 1945 P51d vs red in a 1940 Bf 109E4 from the Battle of Britain. lol.

Thoughts anyone :)

or so they want you to think...:music_whistling:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Well, strictly speaking, the R-27 I believe is still their most commonly used BVR missile. The (R-33?) Phoenix analog is on the MiG-31, but unflyable.

Generally their AAMs have somewhat languished, I think, in RL. Most their ''missile'' attention has gone to advanced SAMs and cruise missiles. The R-77 never really saw widespread adoption, even though it's basically a decent weapon, for example.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I haven't seen anything to indicate if the 77-1 is in mass production yet. There was publicly stated interest soon after the Russians moved into Syria but there has been no news since if the deal went through or not. + i'm fairly certain the su35 can carry the R/T/ER/ET. In the end though it wasn't even until 2015+ that the 77-1 may or may not have entered anything resembling large scale production.

I don't think the Russian have remain stagnant, At least that's what they want the others to believe.

There are other versions of R-27. There is active radar version like R-27EA and EM version. They provide the latest missiles for export.There is R-77. With active radar missiles, We can take on the Western planes easier.

With Semi active, one has to waste one missile to make the other turn away. Seems more like a waste of resources. Break away and you break lock.

So far we dont have any flyable planes that can use the active radar missiles barring Mig 29S and J-11.

Although it does seem senseless that the Naval Su-33 does not have an anti ship missile. That is a must have for naval fighter jets.

There are quite a few things that have held back Russian missile development. To put them excessively simply:

Much of the missile development and production was taking place in Georgian and Ukraine, resulting in a loss of capability when the Soviet Union broke up and worsened when Russia invaded both countries.

Many stocks of missiles (such as R-77s and R-27ETs/ERs) were sold off in the 90s on the export market. The Russian fighters in Syria actually had to borrow Syrian R-77s after arriving (suggested by no apparent progress on the government trying to acquire more and their instant fielding after the Su-34 shootdown, having flown only with R-27s and R-73s between arrival and the shootdown).

Many of the overhyped missiles like the K-77 are vaporware that never or barely left the drawing board.

Tom Cooper has written about it a little bit, here's one of his articles that specifically goes into the paralysis around R-77 development and procurement: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/russias-most-feared-air-to-air-missile-is-actually-kind-of-a-dud-ebebe8b28f4f

Edited by Zaku

That and the ED programmers in Russia don't want to get a late night visit from the KGB (or their modern day equivalent) about somehow giving away military secrets in a game! :) (even though I'm fully assuming a lot of DCS sales of the hornet, viper and A10 have been to the RuAF for 'practice')

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

That and the ED programmers in Russia don't want to get a late night visit from the KGB (or their modern day equivalent) about somehow giving away military secrets in a game! :) (even though I'm fully assuming a lot of DCS sales of the hornet, viper and A10 have been to the RuAF for 'practice')

I'm 100% certain that a video game utilising publicly accessible information and abstracted aircraft systems can't tell them anything they don't already know. It would even be useless from a 'procedures' standpoint because they don't fly them.

I'm interested to see how the new JF-17's

SD-10 / PL-12 will be compared to the 120's in game. At least it will give Red a better fox 3 option.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

R-27EA is not used by RuAF at all

Su-33 was made for ship defence from anti-ship missiles and aircraft, not for a2g combat and a huge modernisation now would be irrational as they have little time left and will eventually be replaced with MiG-29K

There were versions of R27 active radar. For cost cutting they just they used the R-27 platform. It may not be used by the Russian air force yet, but maybe for the export. They focus on SAM tech or defensive tech than offense. Right now they use R-77.

Su-33 originally was slated to have anti ship ability. But they might have decided not to input it as they just dont see any anti ship attack on them from other ships, but only from airborne threats. It was certainly planned.

There is no point of a Navy fighter that cannot take down a possible shipborne threat. The US navy had (Almost all NATO naval forces had it), if the F-14 could not. There were other type of planes to take care of that. When Su-33 was first operational, There were no other carrier based type fighter that can take out shipborne targets. So, I am sure they at least had anti ship ability on call and planned in emergency (I guess cold war was killing the funds), it was presented in airshows next to it...at least for the export market.

Only dummies of R-27EA were ever created

Soviet carriers had different doctrine than american ones, they were built just to defend ICBM subs from attacks from the air

Indeed, every ''carrier'' had a bevy of antiship missiles themselves. They were literally heavy cruisers with a bolt on flight deck to protecr strategic weapons (Ballistic missile subs, as mentioned) from rovibg ASW aircraft, and to provide limited local air defense. There was no significant requirement for multirole aircraft, and the reduced range and payload from the ski jump was largely a non-issue. They didn't have to fly very far.