Inaccurate fonts on the MFD's make numbers impossible to distinguish.

WHOGX5

I want to preface this by saying I know this might not seem like a priority or a big deal at all, but this is really hampering the overall experience for me. The fonts are incorrect which make numbers very hard to distinguish and read from a distance; much harder than in the real F-16. I have therefore made some comparisons between the fonts in the DCS F-16 and from recordings from real life F-16 MFD's.

Here's the world's first AIM-120 kill by 90-0778 which is an F-16D Block 42, and therefore it would be reasonable to assume that it has the same fonts for it's MFD's as the F-16C Block 50, though I can't confirm this as I don't have access to any documentation or have any contact with SME's.

In the top right you can see 480 in big letters, and also on the right in the middle horizontally you can see 1180 in small letters.

tCCoCcY.png

Compare that to this photo from Wags latest mini-update:

YTK71RJ.png

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the bigger font. On the left is from real life, on the right is from Wags latest mini-update:

OpCPEye.png

As you can see, in real life the eight is a lot flatter along it's top and bottom, with almost an hour glass shape to it. The real life zero has a much rounder shape and the diagonal line is, well... A lot more diagonal. The lack of these details in DCS makes these two numbers almost impossible to distinguish unless you're completely zoomed in. In DCS the silhouette of these two numbers is almost identical and the much flatter diagonal line makes it even harder to distinguish the two. A correction would be much appreciated.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

The real life one seems horizontally stretched. Are we sure this is exactly how it would be projected in the real one?

It does indeed look slightly horizontally stretched in the real life video, you can see a slight oval effect on the circles that are displayed. I only want to bring light to this inaccuracy, and I assume that ED has access to real life photos or documentation that will allow them to accurately correct this without needing to reference some shoddy ol' YouTube video like I have to do. :D

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• ED Team

Thanks for the feedback. The version we are simulating has a more recent OFP and the FCR symbology is different in several ways from the video provided. Also, the two images are at different zoom levels.

We'll investigate further though. Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. The version we are simulating has a more recent OFP and the FCR symbology is different in several ways from the video provided. Also, the two images are at different zoom levels.

We'll investigate further though. Thanks

I don't think, also with the RWR font, that too many of us would mind a little inaccuracy in the name of clarity.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL