Campaign updates

Reflected

Update to the Zone 5 campaign!

The next OB update will bring a new feature to the campaign: there will be a slight chance that your wingman Hammer may be able to spot the wild card and call it out. It's a SLIGHT chance, not gonna give you an exact % though.

The wild card is there to test YOUR lookout, not the AI's. So until now only YOU could call it out. I thought it would be a bit more realistic - and forgiving - if I added a random factor so that at least the possibility of your wingman calling it out should be there.

272865719_680611076695138_67191181516350

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 2/3/2022 at 8:33 AM, Reflected said:

Update to the Zone 5 campaign!

The next OB update will bring a new feature to the campaign: there will be a slight chance that your wingman Hammer may be able to spot the wild card and call it out. It's a SLIGHT chance, not gonna give you an exact % though.

The wild card is there to test YOUR lookout, not the AI's. So until now only YOU could call it out. I thought it would be a bit more realistic - and forgiving - if I added a random factor so that at least the possibility of your wingman calling it out should be there.

272865719_680611076695138_67191181516350

This will make a great campaign even better.

Thank you very much!

• Thanks 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

3 hours ago, Reflected said:

Campaign building - behind the scenes:

Great video ... I swear I will never complain about a Campaign price ever again 👍

... by the way, it would be great if you could spare the time to make that video about the livery making process, that you hinted at 🙏

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

10 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I swear I will never complain about a Campaign price ever again

Absolutely not. Campaigns are really the biggest bargains in the DCS store, especially with the long term support that a lot of these creators provide, Reflected especially.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Super amazing, @Reflected ! All the thought and attention to detail shows in the final product so keep up the good work.

I'd love to hear more about Mission Editor techniques from wizards such as yourself or Baltic Dragon. I like to dabble a bit to build missions for own enjoyment but my skills are not in the same league as yours. 

Looking forward to your future work. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Nice video. Very interesting. I did only 2 small campaigns, fully voice-over (for Yak-52 and just for fun - available in User files). I know how long it takes. It's just crazy!

Anyway, I'm a bit curious, so I have 2 questions :

- How many time do you spare just to answer all requests on this forum and to update the campaign after each major DCS update ?

- I imagine creating campaign for DCS is not enough to pay all bills, so, you have another job on the side. So creating campaign is a 20%, 25%, 50% time job ?

Cheers.

Daniel

Great video, thanks for sharing how the magic is done! I had a rough idea how much work it probably takes to make such a campaign, namely: "hell of a lot", but now I can see I still underestimated it! 😄

We're lucky to have such a firm "club" of great campaign authors - sorry for missing a few names, but BD, Reflected, Ground Pounder, Bunyap and... a dozen or so more talented folks who do it for us. And what they do is so often just mind blowing.
For me campaigns are the epitome of fun in DCS, they utterly change the feel to it (and each in their own way, depending on the author) - the sterile "sim enrivonment" changes into a living world, it's like reading a book where you suddently realize you participate in as a character.

If there's one thing I find... unfortunate, it is the fact that you have to fix what you haven't broken (DCS updates) time and again, and again... It's bad not only because I imagine it's an anoying and mundane work, and you have jobs, families etc., but the more campaigns you release the more a victim of your own success you become, spend more and more time on fixing them... instead of "plotting" new campaigns. You'd be happier people and we'd be a happier crowd.

Well, I hope it will improve over time, especially in the AI department or generally in terms of control the author can have over what happens in the mission. Fingers crossed 🙂

I know it's little, but I can only say THANK YOU, MEN *) (Reflected and others), your work DOES make a huge difference. Thanks! 🙂

*) Men of both sexes, of course, voice actresses etc.

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 4 weeks later...

Really cool to see some behind the scenes of how these campaigns are created!  I hope the video will inspire others to get into the DCS campaign game.  As of now it seems like you and only 2 or 3 other guys are consistently putting out great campaigns, and it can feel like there's a bit of a drought much of the time.

Going off on a tangent here, I'm curious how big of a market there is for DCS campaigns, as it seems like a niche of an already niche product.  It'd be great to see campaigns get a lot more popular and become more lucrative for the developers, as we'd inevitably see a lot more high quality content if that happened.  If I had to think of a single thing that keeps players away from campaigns, it'd probably be DCS' lack of a quick save feature.  Probably the one thing that campaign creators could do to widen the audience is create alternate mission files that start right before the action beings, as it can be frustrating to go through the whole startup and transit process of a mission, get shot down, and have to do it all over again!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately alternate versions literally double maintenance, and that's already pretty high due to the ever changing environment and code in DCS. I want to steer as clear as possible from alternate versions. If a quick save is introduced by ED, great. But it's not something worth doubling my workload for. I understand the frustration though...sometimes I wanna test an event near the end of a mission, and I die just before that 😄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Reflected said:

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately alternate versions literally double maintenance, and that's already pretty high due to the ever changing environment and code in DCS. I want to steer as clear as possible from alternate versions. If a quick save is introduced by ED, great. But it's not something worth doubling my workload for. I understand the frustration though...sometimes I wanna test an event near the end of a mission, and I die just before that 😄

I feared that might be the situation, and that there is no way to easily "copy-paste" part of the mission in an alternate version.  Appreciate the insight though!

• Thanks 1

Happy Apache Day everyone! I suspect all other modules will now just slowly and silently sit down in the corner and watch you guys play with the most epic simulation of the second most iconic helicopter in the world (Huey FTW!). I've given it a try myself, ED has raised the bar yet again, I was completely blown away.

Anyhow, if anyone's interested, this update brought several changes to my campaigns too. Most of them were needed because recently introduced AI bugs and behavioral glitches broke several of my existing missions, but fortunately I found workarounds for most.

I appreciate all the feedback, if you find anything that doesn't look right, give me a shout and I'll try my best to fix it.

CHANGELOG:

Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney

- Mission 12 - adjusted AI so that they won't get shot down by AAA before the player arrives

The Big Show

- Added Balloon Barrage over London

Wolfpack

- Fixed the Air Sea Rescue so that the mission counts as success if you are rescued.

Paradise Lost

- Civilian traffic forced off in certain missions

- Added safeguard triggers to mission 12 due to the unreliability of the AI

- Mission 9 - relaxed the safeguard for potential mortar hits

- Typos corrected

- Instructions improved based on user feedback

- SEA Camo Yak-52 skin by Eight Ball added

Zone 5

- Added a random factor so that Hammer may be able to spot the wild card.

- Mission 9 - Sniper 4 is now also immortal to SAMs.

- Turned some trigger zones rectangular for more accurate triggers

- Mission 11 - made sure SAMs don't fire at other flights.

Fear the Bones

- Mission 12 - player was moved to cat 3 to match the new AI launch order.

- AI cat assignments reshuffled due to recent AI launch bug

- Mission 3: failsafe trigger added, because the AI bear sometimes can't switch to its next waypoint.

Hunters over the Yalu

- Mission 1 - requirement for the AI to attack removed due to their unreliability. Mission will progress even if only the player attacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, Reflected said:

Happy Apache Day everyone! I suspect all other modules will now just slowly and silently sit down in the corner and watch you guys play with the most epic simulation of the second most iconic helicopter in the world (Huey FTW!). I've given it a try myself, ED has raised the bar yet again, I was completely blown away.

Anyhow, if anyone's interested, this update brought several changes to my campaigns too. Most of them were needed because recently introduced AI bugs and behavioral glitches broke several of my existing missions, but fortunately I found workarounds for most.

I appreciate all the feedback, if you find anything that doesn't look right, give me a shout and I'll try my best to fix it.

CHANGELOG:

Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney

- Mission 12 - adjusted AI so that they won't get shot down by AAA before the player arrives

The Big Show

- Added Balloon Barrage over London

Wolfpack

- Fixed the Air Sea Rescue so that the mission counts as success if you are rescued.

Paradise Lost

- Civilian traffic forced off in certain missions

- Added safeguard triggers to mission 12 due to the unreliability of the AI

- Mission 9 - relaxed the safeguard for potential mortar hits

- Typos corrected

- Instructions improved based on user feedback

- SEA Camo Yak-52 skin by Eight Ball added

Zone 5

- Added a random factor so that Hammer may be able to spot the wild card.

- Mission 9 - Sniper 4 is now also immortal to SAMs.

- Turned some trigger zones rectangular for more accurate triggers

- Mission 11 - made sure SAMs don't fire at other flights.

Fear the Bones

- Mission 12 - player was moved to cat 3 to match the new AI launch order.

- AI cat assignments reshuffled due to recent AI launch bug

- Mission 3: failsafe trigger added, because the AI bear sometimes can't switch to its next waypoint.

Hunters over the Yalu

- Mission 1 - requirement for the AI to attack removed due to their unreliability. Mission will progress even if only the player attacks.

Thanks Reflected for keeping the "other" world moving on...:)

BHW.jpg

I never made the connection before! :doh:          I played the $%^& out of this one.

Thanks for all the updates to the current campaigns, and a very, very belated thanks for this classic too. Maybe it's because of the current world situation, or the state of the sim, but my DCS has lain ignored and neglected for the past few months in favour of exploring tropical islands, mountains, and jungle grass strip STOLs in msfs. But I'm very much looking forwards to a return to a Reflected 611 Sqn.

• Thanks 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

• 2 weeks later...

Let's play through mission (sortie) 9 of 'Beware! Beware!', my upcoming DCS: Spitfire IX campaign. I'll show you some tips and tricks that will help you successfully complete the missions and you can also listen to me randomly ramble about interesting details about this campaign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, Reflected said:

Campaign building - behind the scenes:

Great video! Unbelievable how much work goes into the making of your campaigns. I was intrigued when you said you listened to so many books. Got any suggestions on F-14 books to listen to on Audible? Or just other aviation books in general that were particularly captivating?

• Like 1