Interview with Wags

Ramrod_45

Hot DAMN! The info and details in that interview are INSANELY exciting. :thumbup:

That's the best thing I've read in forever...

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Yeah, I concede to AI being higher on priority than ATC, while I'm personally more for ATC than AI.

And they say we're not tolerant :lol:

Edit: For some reason, I think it's that I'm so interested in radios and signals, I'd be running HAMs and FR24 feeders if I could afford, I did a bunch of some RTL-SDR tho.

I did infact post wishlist ideas around here about signal simulation, radio antenna types and RF emission pattern, which means range affected by frequency, antenna position(rotation,etc), environment (rain), obstacles, terrain, and reflection. MP Voice being integrated with the actual in-game radios, and then the voice audio quality affected dynamically by signal quality, integration/interaction with F10 map view, ground forces and CA.

And ofcourse this would also go for datalink, emergency beacons, commands from Battlefield Commander to ground units, between units and AI-to-AI too, you may contact ATC, but if ATC will hear you should be another story, except excluding comms that go to satellite uplink.

Another example is ground units having datalink and/or comm ranges to faciliate target sharing and sight perhaps, to the extent it works in real life ofcourse, but if a minor effects are simulated for DCS it's going to be good enough, not necessairly target/sight sharing directly like getting exact position, but maybe some kind of "group awareness" which would make some effect on the realistic F10 View as well (the one that commander or other players could see)

But separately I had the idea the Battlefiled Commander and similar positions being a playable slot, not in just commanding troops like in the GUI, but also being able to talk to other players with DCS Voice over the actualy in-game radio mehanic, but that Battlefield Commander would ofcourse have ATC and all kinds of units at his disposal to get the message through ofcourse still limited by relays, if relay (AWACS, Ground HQ Radio Tower, Captured Civilian Radio Tower, etc, but could be almost any unit with comms right? (with exceptions if some old don't have proper radio/freq)) is destroyed then some units may not get their orders through.

In the Dynamic Campaign perhaps Battlefiled Commander would appropriately be somewhere physically located at an airbasem HQ, forward command post (we need new models for all that stuff too) , having some kind of datalink and comms with the AWACS or other units to relay, he could be on the AWACS or equivalent (doomsday plane) himself, and he would be destroyed too if the AWACS he's on goes down, but, should still be parachutable, IMO this would happen in reality even tho there is no ejection seats most likely, if there was damage but not broken up, spinning going down, basically if systems damaged and destroyed to certain level that is considered critical and while structural integrity ok it would determine OK for parachutability, then the timer would start, perhaps randomized between 25-40 seconds, then they would parachute out the back or side (cool animation opportunity) (possibly idea for all non-ejection-seat wide body aircraft), ofocurse if altitude high enough, if not then they just wouldn't be lucky, moreover then you have another big reason for SAR stuff to come into play, to rescue the Battlefield Commander (or how does DCS call it, i just made it up for this example) then presto another twist to the gameplay.

So I think this signal stuff could be one big addition to the depth, but sure it doesn't need to come with the inital release, maybe I'm too optimistic, reflection of signals probably isn't easy on hardware so it would be simplifed/simulated, but really not necessary that much, if theres only like one bounce it's enough.

However I'm impressed it's really going to do with all the supplies and materials, very good, that'll keep us busy enough, it's good this gets first as it will make a good reason to bring helicopters into gameplay even more to balance things out, it may not load as much as a big transporter jet, but it can sneak unnoticed some crucial supplies through the valley.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I have to admit I’m more than a little confused by the multiple mentions of another new graphics and terrain engine. The development of EDGE and DCS 2.X took nearly a decade and were touted as a long term and versatile solution. I know there are still a lot of performance and lighting issues in 2.5, and overall graphics improvements have slowed considerably, so is ED really pivoting away from what amounts to their still-new engine?

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I have to admit I’m more than a little confused by the multiple mentions of another new graphics and terrain engine. The development of EDGE and DCS 2.X took nearly a decade and were touted as a long term and versatile solution. I know there are still a lot of performance and lighting issues in 2.5, and overall graphics improvements have slowed considerably, so is ED really pivoting away from what amounts to their still-new engine?
Yeah, this has me purplexed too. 2.5 took a lot of work and a lot of time to arrive. I'm concerned that they seem to be replacing that. Perhaps it turned out to be just a stop gap. Maybe, with the need to better support VR, go to multi-core, etc, ED worked out that even though they'd made that massive investment in 2.5 they had to replace the graphics engine again?

Don't get me wrong - if ED replace the graphics engine with a better one, that enables much better technology and better performance then that's a good thing. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a much longer endeavour than has been implied so far.

I actually quite like the terrain as it is. Maybe a new terrain engine is needed for the A-G radar? It would be interesting to hear from ED why a new terrain engine is needed.

PC specs:

Yeah, this has me purplexed too. 2.5 took a lot of work and a lot of time to arrive. I'm concerned that they seem to be replacing that. Perhaps it turned out to be just a stop gap. Maybe, with the need to better support VR, go to multi-core, etc, ED worked out that even though they'd made that massive investment in 2.5 they had to replace the graphics engine again?

Don't get me wrong - if ED replace the graphics engine with a better one, that enables much better technology and better performance then that's a good thing. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a much longer endeavour than has been implied so far.

I actually quite like the terrain as it is. Maybe a new terrain engine is needed for the A-G radar? It would be interesting to hear from ED why a new terrain engine is needed.

I believe it has been said that the current (new) engine doesn't support larger maps than what we have, so maybe new developments would aid towards that.

Many annoucments, many project…..perhaps too much for a small team like ED ?

A 125 person team talked by Nick Grey and near more 50% them working on engine an other features outside modules, talked by Wags.

Today we have some 125 programmers in the team, all dedicated men and women who are committed to doing their very best. Each and everyone of them can find jobs which pay significantly more but stick with ED for the love and passion. Since Igor passed away last year from septicaemia post cancer treatment, Katia has taken the job of CEO with both hands and is doing a fabulous job. This is a first class team of guys and gals on a level I have yet to meet in my 37 years of business.

Boyond daily bug fixing, the fundamental issues such as new graphics challenges (Vulkan, effects, mutli-threading etc), network improvements, sound improvements, new damage engine, dynamic campaign, web RTC, new game statistics engine, new weather engine, etc etc are all part of our roadmap and more than 50% of our staff work on these elements which are not directly module related.

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Nick Grey mentioned that more than 50% of staff are working on non-module related items. Any insight into what the items are that are actively being worked on at this point?

Indeed. Regarding non-aircraft and map projects that focus on the core product, some of the big ones are:

New terrain engine

Dynamic campaign

New graphics engine

Improved night lighting

FLIR rendering tech

Ground radar tech

Air-to-Surface radar rendering tech

Improved weather (clouds, thermals, humidity, etc.)

New and improved effects

Integrated VOIP

Aircraft AI improvement

Updated replay system

Improved unit visibility

Improved sound engine

Improved network code

And other more confidential aspects…

I think in fact it’s probably even more than 50% of company resources are invested on the core product.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Not complaining at all, but I am not surprised that updates of modules can take some times.

I am please to see that the team as a long term vision about the future of DCS, thanks a lot for that.

But I think I may plan for a new computer for the next few year!

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

A 125 person team talked by Nick Grey and near more 50% them working on engine an other features outside modules, talked by Wags.

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Yep, i saw that but if ED realy want to be transparent, as they said, we should know how many people work on hornet at this time (probably not more 2 or 3)

Nice read big plans we will see what Q4 and 2020 bring.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I am glad I found this thread! I was about to start a new one on the DC. It was music to my ears hearing the depth the Dynamic Campaign has going into it. This is going to be a game changer. I am sure the Falcon BMS community will like to read this one. Thanks for the update Wags. This fires me up so much for the future of DCS. Especially when you started talking about the brief room on the carrier and walking out to your plane. Foxtrot Yankee!!!!!!!!

looks like a great list of goals. Feels like a 5 year plan.

HA! It’d be great if it were a 5 year plan! But that list of items still contains a bunch of stuff that was announced back in 2015 to be released for 2016. New weather, improved AI, ATC overhaul, supercarrier, etc. It’s now almost 2020 and Wags is still talking about most of them as distant future items.

There are a lot of people here that have an unlimited blank check of goodwill toward ED.

I don’t. I’ve lost confidence they can actually accomplish what they say they’ll do. Yes they make great aircraft modules, the airplanes are great, but if you’re here for anything approaching a realistic combat sim, flight or otherwise, you better look elsewhere. It’s not for a lack of trying or desire, but simply their ambitions far exceed their ability. Whether this is due to money or skill or company management I don’t know, but it is a simple fact, proven by years and years of empty announcements.

ASUS Maximus Hero IX with i7 7700K OC’d to 4.8Ghz. EVGA 1080 ti. RAM 32GB DDR4. Old Samsung 1080p TV, hopefully VR soon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My guess , based on Wags answers , is Vulkan API and Multi-thread are the "only" thing taken in consideration for the base engine.

Not really a "new" one like the 2.xx version did but a huge task nonetheless.

[...]released for 2016. New weather, improved AI, ATC overhaul, supercarrier, etc. It’s now almost 2020[...and so on]

I think we all know by now that ED hit some major difficulties circa 2016 that delayed a lot of things. Hell, new clouds/weather were being talked about long before 2016. Maybe it’s time to drop the vitriol and accept there were issues and ED is working through them in good faith.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I think we all know by now that ED hit some major difficulties circa 2016 that delayed a lot of things. Hell, new clouds/weather were being talked about long before 2016. Maybe it’s time to drop the vitriol and accept there were issues and ED is working through them in good faith.

It's a lot easier to be obtuse and dump on people. This is the internet generation after all.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It's a lot easier to be obtuse and dump on people. This is the internet generation after all.

Ah good, I knew one of the resident forum trolls would make an appearance. Winner winner chicken dinner, zhukov. Now where are probad and USMC Trev? We can have a big ol troll party!:thumbup:

I know they’re working in good faith. I know it hurts them worse than us when things slip by years. And I can see there was some unintended vitriol in my comment.

Still, at what point do you just lose confidence that ED can accomplish what they say? For me I’m past that point. They've said the same things over and over, the same old announcements recycled as new announcements every year. I’m just not drinking the koolaid anymore, I simply don’t believe them.

ASUS Maximus Hero IX with i7 7700K OC’d to 4.8Ghz. EVGA 1080 ti. RAM 32GB DDR4. Old Samsung 1080p TV, hopefully VR soon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't have any vitriol about it. I just don't really think they are going to hit most of those goals any time soon. I do actually think alot of the "new" features will just part of Vulkan whenever they get it out, basically anything GFX related like ground radar, terrain, VR, clouds etc.

I also think MAC will be their test for Vulkan, I could be wrong on that.

And I think of the 150 employees ED has, IMO most of them aren't working directly on DCS, again conjecture on my part but... IMO, their teams and time are split between MAC, their .mil customers, and then whatever is left over is for DCS (at this time). The good news is that they are basically selling "mostly" the same product to 3 different customers so that whatever goes to MAC/.mil will eventually come back to DCS at some point.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

some good news and some bad news.

looks like we will see phantom in our dreams. and dynamic campaign will come in 2022

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Too much work. A bit of remake of everything.Even re-re-remake.Plus new stuff.

''For now, the lead engineer responsible for this is focused on the aircraft carrier communications (departure, marshal, approach, tower, and LSO).............................................. However, this is the same lead engineer responsible for aircraft AI, and there are important tasks on that front that also demand his attention...'' source:Mudspike

Lord! Help that guy!

The fture

Things sound great in the interview, and I hope it works out. I am wondering about the graphics end of things and how the Microsoft Flight sim map could be integrated into DCS which could save a ton of work and allow us to actually fly anywhere and have a theater of conflict anywhere. Not sure if licensing the technology is feasible (DCS World is free), but weather would be interesting, and I am getting interested in the modules that might come our way. So, I will fly along in my hangar of unfinished aircraft and enjoy what I can. I am wondering why ED doesn't create high fidelity aircraft out of the FC3 line up, we have a few Russian planes, but there really should be a lot more.