New Clouds Discussion

Mizzy

Hi all,

This is an important task for us with a high priority, as soon as we have more news we will share it with all of you in our news letters.

thank you

I'm so glad that ED are placing a lot of focus on improving clouds and weather more generally along with other "core DCS World" features. All the planes and helos in the world are great but if the environment you fly in feels and looks dated, stale and artificial then the whole flying experience is just not as rewarding as it once was many years ago. So fingers crossed 2020 will see some major leaps and improvements to the DCS core world. :)

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Hi all,

This is an important task for us with a high priority, as soon as we have more news we will share it with all of you in our news letters.

thank you

It's a feature I'm really looking forward to! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DCS World 2020 and Beyond

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

As long as the user can adjust the graphics settings I am all for it. What I have seen over decades in sims is programmers will spend months if not years to get a few more fps and run smoothly only to have another add eye candy and you end up losing frames and performance. Repeat.

I remember when you fired the gun there was a 1 second pause. Same with the explosions. The 97 cluster effect is incredible but at first it would ctd me.

But YES.... i agree with the spinning clouds especially in VR.

As long as the user can adjust the graphics settings I am all for it. What I have seen over decades in sims is programmers will spend months if not years to get a few more fps and run smoothly only to have another add eye candy and you end up losing frames and performance. Repeat.

I remember when you fired the gun there was a 1 second pause. Same with the explosions. The 97 cluster effect is incredible but at first it would ctd me.

This is such an important comment. I'd bet a million dollars that this is why new clouds have taken so long. I don't care how cool they look: if they drop my FPS significantly (or even moderately), I'm not too excited... and new clouds are a HUGE priority for me. Even with current clouds, I can lose as much as 15 FPS when flying through them (maybe a dcs shadows thing?) when they're dense...and my system isn't exactly low-end. Take your time, ED, and get it right, like you usually do. :thumbup:

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 2 months later...

With a 2020´s GPU, CPU and lot of memory system... i don´t understand what the problem with clouds or smoke effects. Seems like the problem is to try to make improvements on too old effect with a old code that can´t extrat the best of modern systems.

With a 2020´s GPU, CPU and lot of memory system... i don´t understand what the problem with clouds or smoke effects. Seems like the problem is to try to make improvements on too old effect with a old code that can´t extrat the best of modern systems.

I could write about 4 pages about it, but just one random thing - translucency is a performance killer in VR.

I'm hoping ED do a staged cloud/weather introduction of their new system. For example single player only until it's worked out for multiplayer, activate/deactivate the new system so that the ones that are FPS conscious won't clog up the forums with complaints as it's voluntary.

I recall that you could enable the 'EDGE clouds several years ago but they had graphic glitches and so ED disabled them.

Mizzy

I would be O.K. with current clouds if they didn't spin in a circle when I tilt my head.

Strange!! This use to drive me nuts!! However, for me, the the clouds stopped spinning ages ago ( I would guess more than 12 months ago - probably longer, even 24 months). I thought that bug had just been fixed?? Do many still experience this??

Edited by Phantom453

Strange!! This use to drive me nuts!! However, for me, the the clouds stopped spinning ages ago ( I would guess more than 12 months ago - probably longer, even 224 months). I thought that bug had just been fixed?? Do many still experience this??

Yup, still there and extremely annoying

do you use TrackIR / VR? Because I assume you won't be seeing rotating clouds unless you use 6dof (head tilting)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

According to Kate's roadmap, they will continue working on new clouds this month

According to her road map, we should have got AG map, Slam and completed TGP for hornet.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Last time they said they are working with the moisture simulation (core feature for the weather) and that was at the time when the Wags was interviewed by Fighters Pilots Podcast, so it has been a good time already from that.

Anyone can just build a graphical system that just takes some values and scatters a fancy shader clouds all over, but to actually simulate the weather and get it formed, spread, move etc even semi-realistic manner, that takes a lot more.

And I am not so happy for many of those FX plugins for other flight simulators as they are just about such in fancier manner.

ED is developing lots of core features at the moment, that will benefit ALL modules and ALL experiences etc. Sure it would be nice thing to get some updates etc about its process but last one might have been that it was mid-tier in their roadmap schedule so less than 9 months.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yup, still there and extremely annoying

do you use TrackIR / VR? Because I assume you won't be seeing rotating clouds unless you use 6dof (head tilting)

Yes, I use TackIR all of the time and have for years. I've also used VR a bit (Oculus CV1).

Definitely no spinning with TrackIR but its been short burst of use with VR, I don't recall any spinning with VR, but it has been a while since I've used it.

Yes with the next OB Update which probably will be released in May

Actually it was intended to be released by the end of the April

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yes, I use TackIR all of the time and have for years. I've also used VR a bit (Oculus CV1).

Definitely no spinning with TrackIR but its been short burst of use with VR, I don't recall any spinning with VR, but it has been a while since I've used it.

Still spinning clouds in vr. And desynched clouds in MP.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).